Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.5tdi 2004 Touareg and purchased it new. Many many problems but this one is to do with the ignition. After 3 years the engine/glow plugs took anything up to 30 seconds to spark into life. This was in warm weather as well as cold weather. After changing glow plugs, followed by a new ECU the dealer said that that the delay start was 'quite normal' for Touaregs and Phaetons. What happens? I insert the key in the ignition, turn the key then release it while my foot is on the brake. Then I wait, and wait and wait. In about 50% of the time the engine finally sparks into life. I work with a few petrol heads and they have never heard of this. Apart from new glow plugs the ECU was about ?800.

Is this correct and do I need to worry anymore?

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Well a small delay I would describe as normal - put in key, turn it, wait maybe a second, then churn into life....but beyond that I would say it doesnt sound right.

Sounds like you need to make friends with the technician at a good VW dealer...give us an idea of where you are and we might be able to direct you to one....

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Well a quick look reveals:

caffyn?s-haywards-heath-t5863.html

....Haywards Heath...any good?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Hi I live near Sevenoaks you could call by and we could do a couple of simple tests if you would like pm me.
I use Beadles Maidstone who have always treated me well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Pilgrim.

The recent tests have been carried out by Beadles Sevenoaks, though the car was purchased from Reading. Beadles appear sincere but that's to someone who takes at face value what they are telling me.

Any help is appreciated.
Regards

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
As Chrisbin says,a small delay is ok,mine does that.
I used Caffyns Haywards Heath and they were 1st class .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Nimrod, I expect a small delay but when I say that mine is 30 seconds it is generally no less than 30 seconds and sometimes 60 seconds when it cuts out. I have a new ECU and new glow plugs, and recently it spent a total of 14 days in the garage. I'm trying to ascertain if this is normal practice or have I been fobbed off with excuses by Beadles, and later on I will have a large bill to pay.

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
MarwellQ said:
Hello Nimrod, I expect a small delay but when I say that mine is 30 seconds it is generally no less than 30 seconds and sometimes 60 seconds when it cuts out. I have a new ECU and new glow plugs, and recently it spent a total of 14 days in the garage. I'm trying to ascertain if this is normal practice or have I been fobbed off with excuses by Beadles, and later on I will have a large bill to pay.
Marwell,you've definitely been fobbed off,something is amiss there.My car hot or cold is no more than 1-2 seconds

·
10 Posts
Hi, When you first start the car on a cold morning you turn the key with your foot on the brake there will be a delay of I would say up to 30 sec before the engine cranks, this delay is the ecu running the glow plugs. if you have colour dash display it will display "engine starting" during this delay period. when the engine is warm/hot, when you turn the key the engine should crank near instantly. if this is not the case it's possible the coolant temp sensor is faulty . If this sensor is reading incorrectly i.e -40 degries the ecu will run the glow plugs every time you go to start the engine, causing the delay every time

·
Registered
74 Posts
30 seconds ??? bo.....ks !! :x :x :x

Theres something wrong get it seen to , and don't get fobbed off.

Unfortunately I havnt came accross this specific problem before so I cant put you in the right direction

D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts