Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S4 treg,
on the board index page click "view active topics."
scroll down P1 until you see "What's Your Avge MPG?2.5tdi.
All will be revealed

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
s4treg said:
Hi Nimrod
its doesnt sorta give me any concrete answers, though i know it can be difficult as we all drive different,

Would you say 25mpg is out of the question comunting 20 min round trip?
no,I think You will achieve this.
My driving is mainly round town with occasional motorway and i would say that you'd do 25mpg average.
If you just popped up the shops 500 yds away youd probably average 15mpg ,what big car wouldn't,but most people with 2'5 s on the forum get better than 25 on mixed motoring.
You'll be surprised how good it is on motorways,you should get 32 mpg at least.

·
178 Posts
I will add to that as I drive in traffic all the time. On a good day when traffic is flowing I can get 25 - 30mpg. But if it is a stop / start traffic, it's about 20mpg.
Maxime

·
886 Posts
s4treg said:
what sort of MPG should i expect around town and a mix of short motorway driving??
2005 2.5TDI
Hi There,

Overall consumption over 38k since new........26.7mpg

This includes a regular 19 miles each way run to work over A roads not motorways.

We live on the side of a hill so that doesn't help consumption as I reckon you use more coming back up than you save going down.

It has also been used to tow a horse trailer and two horses and when we do that we are averaging around 20 mpg max.

So overall I think 26.7 is acceptable for a heavy beast of a motor.

HTH

Cheers

Tom

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
tadpole said:
s4treg said:
what sort of MPG should i expect around town and a mix of short motorway driving??
2005 2.5TDI
Hi There,

Overall consumption over 38k since new........26.7mpg

This includes a regular 19 miles each way run to work over A roads not motorways.

We live on the side of a hill so that doesn't help consumption as I reckon you use more coming back up than you save going down.

It has also been used to tow a horse trailer and two horses and when we do that we are averaging around 20 mpg max.

So overall I think 26.7 is acceptable for a heavy beast of a motor.

HTH

Cheers

Tom
the way you drive Tom I'm amazed it's not double that...!! (as in better MPG...!!)

·
886 Posts
[/quote]

the way you drive Tom I'm amazed it's not double that...!! (as in better MPG...!!)
[/quote]

Paul,

Hardly any of the treg consumption can be laid at my door!!
95% has to be down to Sue.

If it were down to me and my heavier ( Despite what you say Paul ) right foot it would be a wee bit lower

Tom

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom,
There's a difference between having a light foot and being light footed.
If you get my drift sweetie.

·
886 Posts
Nimrod said:
Tom,
There's a difference between having a light foot and being light footed.
If you get my drift sweetie.
Pat,

Don't talk about Paul like that.

You know he doesn't like the Hip Fly Gay tag

Telemetrically speaking he seems quite " Straight " to me but one can never tell.

And thinking about it he comes from Portsmouth.........Hello sailor

Tom

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
s4treg said:
Well am exceeding the predicted MPG, got treg last weekend and according to dash am averaging 30mpg, so realistically am getting about 26 - 28mpg, bloody good i reckon
We're not often wrong!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have a V10 Altitude but I think I can offer some advice, I think that the thing to remember with these cars is that their worst enemy is wind resistance and vehicle weight, I find that at 70mph with the cruise control switched on , I can see 30mpg indicated on the motorway as long as it's gradient free, however, go any faster or up hill and the mpg drops very quickly as the car tries to cut through the air, the other day I had the car remapped with a promised 2-3 mpg improvement, I am yet to test this properly.

I work shifts and rarely see a bad traffic jam as such, I see 25mpg on the 12 mile 30 min journey with good anticipation of other road users etc, one of the ways to get better mpg is to ease off the throttle when possible and let the cars considerable weight and inertia carry you, it makes a huge difference. Most drivers brake late and harshly, then have to accelerate again, using even more fuel...

Tyre pressures are crucial too, I checked mine (20"wheels) after I collecting my car from the dealer on my first day of ownership, the dealer said they had given car a 'once over' but the tyres were UNDER inflated by almost 20psi on the front!! and the screen washer bottle was empty...best to check them once per week. Such large tyres create awful drag at the wrong pressures, as will roof rails, air con..etc

Driving style will help too, also your area, lots of hills see the mpg plummet on my car, I think we can all agree that these Touaregs will never be the most economical cars, but we can do a lot to take the sting out of fuel costs.
I hope this message helps as I am a police advanced driver and my training helps me to get a decent fuel range with good observations and anticipation, it all helps and I'm sure that you will better these figures in the 2.5
Good Luck!

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Time for an MPG improvement challenge....

Considering I can get 25MPG average on a long run from the V8 I'm already light on my loafers.... (thought I'd get it in before anyone else did)

S4treg, your tone is not gaining friends when insulting one of the original (and most liked) members of this forum - Banter is great, calling him a fat [email protected] is reserved for us who've met him and known him 'long time'... and come to that conclusion ourselves...
(Yes I am joking, but appreciate a lowering of your tone, even if you guys love to hate each other)

·
656 Posts
I agree with HFG. Stubs is a good bloke and telametrically superb.
We may have some banter on here, but most of us have met and I can honestly say what a good bunch you all are.
HFG and I have been known to have some friendly banter, but we have met and I know what a quiet, gentleman of a guy he really is.

Hopefully the tone in some of the recent posts can be improved. This is a friendly and useful site and the tone shouldn't be allowed to be lowered.

Maybe we are now experiencing the result of the prices of second hand Tregs being so low. Perhaps a lesser class of clientele is now able to afford this luxery vehicle. If so, we should try and embrace this change and hopefully improve and educate those less fortunate than us. I think we should avoid lowering our standards.

Perhaps Kain could help Vet some of the comments being made on recent posts. Although '[email protected]' was written to disguise an usavoury word, we all know what it means and it is incredably offensive.

Please all, can we help clean up some of this thuggish behaviour and keep our standards as high as they have been.

Thanks all,

Have a Happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Peace to all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts