Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evenin all

The treg has become a bit reluctant at starting on a morning

When I put the key in the ignition and turn (without turning the engine over) the vault meter shows about 11.5 - 12v

Engine turns over fine but just doesn't catch. This can happen 10 or 11 times and then hey presto - it starts and the volt meter immediately goes up to 14v. And is fine while driving

Leave the car for anything more than a couple of hours and back to square 1 - sat embarrasingly in the street sounding like I'm trying to start a spitfire

Seems to be getting worse

What do we reckon - new battery? Duff connectors?

If its new battery - anyone know the cost? Only I'm absolutely brassick after the Valve Chamber work :roll:

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Could be the glow plugs ?

Battery should be less than ?50 if you shop around, shame your not closer our scrap man who collects from the garage is selling big battery's for a ?10 each

Don't shoot the writer only my thoughts :oops: :oops:

·
656 Posts
Sounds like the Treg is complaining or rebelling. Have you been asking her to carry too much weight lately, or maybe the pressure of always being telemetrically superior is getting too much for her. She maybe having a breakdown.

·
10 Posts
Hi , the battery is not the problem if the engine is turning over o.k and for as long as you say it is. I don't think the glow plugs are the problem either. If you you have no fault codes in the ecu, You need to look at fuel supply first, make sure that the electric fuel pump in the tank is working. If this is o.k you might have a fuel pressure loss in the cylinder head i.e fuel injector seals leaking . this would cause the engine to turn over until fuel pressure has built up in the cylinder head , once started it would start every time, leaving it for a few hours is proberly enough time for the fuel to drain away and the process starts again.

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the 'good' news....

Expensive to sort then?

·
10 Posts
First of all i didn't want you to waste ?100 on a new battery and proberly another ?100 on new glow plugs . can't tell if it going to be expensive. could be 50p for a fuel pump fuse or hundreds of pounds for injector seals. you could check the electric fuel pump by removing the pipe to the fuel filter and cranking the engine if fuel flows from the tank the pump is o.k. Check the oil level if it too high possible the injector seals leaking into the crank case. If your not sure what to do, only let some one who knows what they are doing touch it, just tell them to check the above first it may save on the diagnosis cost.

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers

And welcome by the way

1 - 7 of 7 Posts