Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My June 2009 Treg is on Long-Life service regime (well so I believe- it came with this from the factory but the dealer stamped the book as being on T & Distance.. but when questioned they assured me it was on Long-Life..) and today after 11 1/2 months and 7,400 miles I get a message saying my service is due in 16 days or 1,800 miles

Has anyone else had an early service at 1 years old- and if so please can you give me a "guide price" for the 1-yr/10k Oil Change Service that I can then use to try an negotiate with at my local dealer.

I was planning to register for the £299 2 years/20K service offer- but you have to be at least 6 weeks away from a service- so my thoughts are to have the 10k Oil Service done now and then register for the £299 2yr/20K offer as soon as that is done which will then cover the service costs for years 2 and 3.

Best regards Cas

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
My petrol Treg T&D annual oil change service will be £200 and I get a free inspection too.

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
Cas,

Not all VW dealers do the £299 for 2 services and MOT. Mine didn't, but they did do their own 2,3,4 year service plan. I was told that to qualify for the 2 years fixed deal you have to take it out within 30 days of purchase (retail) or as part of a vehicle purchase deal. Read the small print if you can

Best to check with the dealer and make your own mind up on price and value. 4th year service is a biggie by the way

VW still offer a price match for any service quote within 5 miles of dealership, so check around.

Personally, I'd never go with the Long Life servicing regime and always stick with Time and Distance. Under the LL regime you can go 2 years or 20k miles and I am firmly in the camp for oil changes every 12 months - yes oil technology has progressed but at what cost to the owners

Got my Treg serviced last month at 8150 miles - must drive more this year

Cass

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
I agree on annual oil changes as a minimum although I do mine every 6 months as most of its journies are only 5 miles.

·
mySantaFe
1,056 Posts
There is something in the manual about the first service being very important no doubt due to the fact it has the particles from the running in process in it.
Mine was done just before a year old and at 8500 miles by the dealer.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FYI- I had the first service done yeseterday at my local dealer (TL Darby in Burton) for £215.
They wanted £245 initially but matched the Lux dealer in Derby who had offered to match Windrush (as my other option was to get it done when down at my firms office).

Picked up details on the 2 year/£299 service plan and will go for that to cover the next 2 services (with brake fluid in yr 3).

Regards

Cas

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Cas, you did better than me. Stoke vw charged me £227. Treg had done 9400mls before the service.

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
Cas, I'd check with the small print in the £299 service plan to ensure it includes the brake fluid change.

My local dealer did not offer the £299 on the Treg when I got my car serviced in May as it was claimed to be linked to a retail purchase (ie. when buying a new/used VW) so I went with the dealer's own service plan. I specifically queried the brake fluid change at year 3 and this is extra to the basic service, as would be an air con service, should that also be required.

Do you get a free MOT with the £299 plan ?

Cass

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Brake fluid change is included in the plan. As determined by the Manufacturers recommended schedule. No air con service, that appears to be extra. There is a MOT test as well for the life of the plan ie 1 test.
The Full plan is:
1 oil change at 10k mls or 12 months
1 inspection service at 20k mls or 24 months
Dust & pollen filter at 24 months
Brake fluid change (if required)*
Spark plug change (if required)*
Fuel filter (if required)*
Air filter (if required)*

*Only if specified within the manufacturer's recommended service schedule for a particular vw model.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Signed up for the £299 2 year service plan with Stoke VW. Hopefully it'll keep the price of treg ownership down. Not looking forward to getting brakes changed.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've signed up for the £299 deal as well at Beadles Dartford. After initially thinking it was for cars 2 litre or under they checked and there's no restrictions.
At that point even they said I'd be mad not to!
You actually get 2 MOTs so it's actually nearer to £200 for 2 years servicing.
When I was asking a while back, as a comparison, the same 2 services and MOTs from Beadles would be over £800 at standard prices.
You have to switch to time and distance servicing but as I tow a caravan I'm happier with that.
Deal runs until the end of the year but my guess would be they'll pull it early if they get too many Treg/Phaeton etc owners taking it up.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Treg will only be 3 yrs old on the 2nd service with the plan. Will only get 1 free MOT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts