Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

1/2 Heater

11K views 35 replies 10 participants last post by  jsmills 
#1 ·
went on a long trip today and i noticed that the car was feeling a bit chilly, anyway after some fiddling i noticed all of the left controlled vents are blowing cold air regardless of the temp setting, the right vents operate as normal. any one had this? gonna plug in vag.com tomorrow to see if it has noticed
Im thinking a thermostat?

See less See more
#3 ·
huh

the only thing i have noticed recently is some motor / flap going on off on off on off rapidly recently.

#4 ·
jsmills said:
huh

the only thing i have noticed recently is some motor / flap going on off on off on off rapidly recently.
Mmm. I may have the same problem as I can hear a flap or similar flapping!

#6 ·
Have had the same on mine almost since purchase, two rebuilds of the vent motors and flaps and it's now blowing cold one side, hot the other, no mix, even get frost on the windscreen on one side now. Sounds like a hamster is trapped in a wheel in the dash, can hear flaps permanently trying to find a 'rest' position....

A very nice man at the R50 experience gave me suggestions of what it may be, just need to book it in to be fixed.

#7 ·
ok heres what the vag.com pulled:

Address 08: Auto HVAC Labels: None
Part No: 7L6 907 040 D
Component: CLIMAtronic R/L X 2714
Coding: 0001020
Shop #: WSC 31414 000 00000

1 Fault Found:
01336 - Data Bus for Comfort System
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent

cleared fault and it hasnt returned, vents working again, hamster is still present although he's part of the family now

would love to hear from somebody who has resolved the annoying on/off (hamster) flap

#8 ·
sorry to resurrect this from the dead but hopefully ive solved my issue.

The heater has mostly not being working on the left recently so i decided i had to get this issue resolved. Ran Vag.com output tests on the V158 (left hand side temperature mixing flap) to see what was going on.
The values were fluctuating around all over the place so i did a reset on the basic values for open and shut. This temporarily worked for about 5 mins then it was back again. OK time for a new motor (apparently its not the motor that dies but the controller inside.) An updgraded version appeared in March 2005 and the new versions appear in 06 plates onwards (some 55's)
The motor part number is 7l0907511ak and cost me ?67.93 inc vat.

A quick list of what is required:

1, Put Aircon control unit into Service Setting
2, Remove Radio, Control Switches + Aircon Control Unit
3, Remove Dash end panels + Footwell covers + Wood trims
4, Remove lower dash

Once i had the lower dash removed i fired up the aircon to see the flaps in action. The V158 motor was constantly twitching which was causing the hamster noise behind my dash. All changed now I have heat on both sides and no hamster
lets hope it lasts.

#9 ·
I had a problem with my heater not blowing out warm air unless I had the windscreen de-mist on full tilt

All resolved by a new Polen Filter at the last service

Never realised it would make such a difference

#10 ·
I'd like to get into my dash.

How hard is it to dismantle - JSM?

#12 ·
sorry kaine lost me there doors and stepper motors are we on the same page or am i a plank

p.s what is SAIA

#13 ·
sorry, SAIA means SAIA BURGESS - the manfucturer of the Stepper motors (or at least the original manufacturer)

The Stepper motor drives the door and is designed to pulse basically by software. A noisy stepper motor (i.e. loud clicks) is annoying and can be resolved by changing the stepper motor, however this will never be under warranty. Some are loud and some are almost silent.

Kaine

#14 ·
noobytoogy said:

Pretty easy to be fair. I would do it again if i had too. I could PM you the manual i followed if your interested, i'd put it on here but not sure about legalities of it kaine might get into trouble

Its only held on with screws, no funny poppers (well the wood trims are) to break. TBH i should have made a howto guide but somewhow ripping your dash apart makes you forget about taking pictures.

#15 ·
I see, when you refer to stepper motor is that the control motors for the flaps ? My original one was branded bosch and the second delphi.

On another note a few of the heater components bear porsche badges behind the dash so i assume its the same system as the cayenne.

#17 ·
jsmills said:
On another note a few of the heater components bear porsche badges behind the dash so i assume its the same system as the cayenne.
That's got to be worth at least 1 second off the 0-60 time! :twisted:

#18 ·
Kaine said:
I've been out of the industry for too long - SAIA were the original manufacturer, however I know BOSCH were developing copies even 3/4 years ago.
ahh i see it all comes together. obviously bosch didnt do too good a job at copying them eh, hopefully the delphi holds out longer

noobytoogy said:
That's got to be worth at least 1 second off the 0-60 time! :twisted:
Thats what i thought i was gonna install some plexi glass over it as a show piece.

#19 ·
jsmills said:
noobytoogy said:

Pretty easy to be fair. I would do it again if i had too. I could PM you the manual i followed if your interested, i'd put it on here but not sure about legalities of it kaine might get into trouble

Its only held on with screws, no funny poppers (well the wood trims are) to break. TBH i should have made a howto guide but somewhow ripping your dash apart makes you forget about taking pictures.
Hi Mr Mills, wouldn't mind the section of the manual you followed to do this please... intermittent problem is now back full swing, and no dealer has ever managed to fix while she was in warranty... guess i need a Vag com too to do the job properly..?

#20 ·
i'll pm you.

You need vag.com or a dealer to remove a motor as they have to be put into the service setting in order to remove them. New motors come shipped in the service position so fit straight in. Once in the motor has to be setup in order to learn where open and shut is. It's a lot easier than it sounds. Also vag.com will enable you to find the faulty motor. As for other uses vag.com is a godsend and i have easily saved the cost of the cable by not visiting the dealer for diagnosis.

Vag.com procedure

Testing motors (Output Test)

[Select]
[08 - Heating/Air Conditioning]
[03 - Output Tests]
Start/Next
This then cycles through the different motors showing requested and actual values.

Flap Adaption / Basic Settings

[Select]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 001
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
The basic setting takes approximately 25 seconds.
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

HVAC Service Setting

[Select]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 002
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
The Display should read SFnow.
Turn Off the Ignition now! before exiting the controller in vag.com as the motors will return to the std position otherwise.

#21 ·
After seeing that list, I've changed my mind!

Faaaaaaaaaaaar too techie for me. I'm a nuts and bolts man.

#24 ·
Elsawin is what VW use in the garages. If you were to "google" it you may find out more information. Its not avaliable to the public but is on the net for illegal downloading. Which obviously i dont condone...

#25 ·
Hi Mr mills
Is your vag com cable a ross-tech one or is it a copy as I have seen them on ebay quite cheap but they will only use up to 409.1 software, will this cover the problem with the heater as I also have the same prob and would like to have a go at fixing it myself.

Tom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.