Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 3.6 V6 FSI SE, Coil Springs
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all I put this post on ClubTouareg but thought I would add it here as well to reach more brains..

The issue I am having is the rear wheels on my Touareg are leaning in a fair bit at the top, so I guess excessive camber. This picture does an excellent job of showing it.

This is the result of an alignment check I had done in Feb. Now I should note that when this was done I had 10mm spacers and unevenly worn tyres, I have now fitted new wheels and tyres and removed the spacer

So I am wondering given that the car is over 100k miles now should I look at replacing the rear coils first and see if that solves the issue, or should I get the alignment done first? I can see in the MOT history that it has in the past failed an MOT twice for broken rear springs and I am wondering if it has had the wrong ones used, there are 2x possible rear springs depending on whether or not you have a tow bar, as my tow ball is a removable one, it is conceivable that they have used the shorted springs.
I assume that would lead to the wrong chamber angle?

As for the front end, I replaced the passenger side spring but not the driver's side, because I am lazy, I have the spring, I just haven't done it yet.

Since posting this on the other sight I have ordered new rear springs, just so I can say I have replaced all of them.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FFS! Ok, thanks for letting me know.. I have amended the attachments so hopefully it's working now!

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

·
Mechanical Guru
3,020 Posts
You definitely deserve an award for the worst alignment results I've ever seen!
Yes you should fit new original specification springs all round and that should get you back to original standard ride heights.
Only then have all the steering and suspension geometry adjusted. If they charge for the number of adjustments made you might have quite a bill!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I was a little shocked how far out it was as it seems to drive fine, it doesn't pull or anything, The front tyres wear fine, only the rears are wearing excessively on the inside edge, I should note that alignment check was done with the rear tyres moved to the front, which was pretty well bold on the inside edge, 10mm spacers and 285/50 R20 tyres on, which are way oversized!
I have now removed the spacers and fitted 265/60 R18 wheel/tyre combo. SO hoping it's not quite so bad. When the new springs arrive I'll get them fitted and then take it in again and hope its doesn't cost a fortune!!!

🤞

·
Registered
368 Posts
You definitely deserve an award for the worst alignment results I've ever seen!
Yes you should fit new original specification springs all round and that should get you back to original standard ride heights.
Only then have all the steering and suspension geometry adjusted. If they charge for the number of adjustments made you might have quite a bill!
Looks virtually undriveable

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Without looking at the back wheels you really wouldn't notice. Like I say the front tyres have been wearing perfectly evenly, the only issue is the uneven wear on the rears. So unless the guy's machine is out of whack I can only assume my stupid tyre choice and spacer combo along with potentially shagged springs is causing a false reading. The mechanic did admit this could be the case and agreed I should get the wheels and tyre sorted and come back for another reading.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
18 Posts
Let us know if replacing the rear spring makes any difference to the camber.
I'd be curious to know as I noticed that my rears have some negative camber and although it is nowhere what yours looks like in the provided picture, I'm wondering if new springs would bring it a little more positive.
Just for note: I haven't had mine measured but to me it looks like maybe the rear camber on mine is ~ -1 to -1.5. I know this is probably within spec and I have even tire wear in the rear with no cupping, but I'm curious.

BTW, I couldn't find your thread On ClubTouareg.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will do. I am still waiting for the springs to arrive in the mail. Bought them through Autodoc, they have good prices, but shitty delivery times!!

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Surely the camber is a function of the geometry of of the wishbone setup, and not the spring ?
Camber will change slightly as the suspension rises and falls in normal use, but replacing springs will not in itself fix the issue you have.

Reactions: Black Grouse

·
Registered
441 Posts
Surely the camber is a function of the geometry of of the wishbone setup, and not the spring ?
Camber will change slightly as the suspension rises and falls in normal use, but replacing springs will not in itself fix the issue you have.
I'm with you - my money's on worn bushes

·
Mechanical Guru
3,020 Posts
I'd agree if you know all is original specification and settings but the previous owner has had work done which may not of followed original spec. Camber can change dramatically if different springs are fitted.
So as the opening post says that new rear springs are already ordered and asks should they be fitted before the alignment is adjusted?... absolutely yes.
Also would shorter springs lead to the wrong camber angle?.. Yes, as would longer ones.
It may not be the problem here but that's the correct approach to the proposed work.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree, bushes are probably an issue. At the last MOT the tester did say they were looking a little tired, but not anything to worry about. Might just cause some knocking. . That said since I have owned the car I have always thought the rears looked a little off. Putting brand new tyres on and running them for 3yr has proved it with the rears wearing excessively on the inside edge. There is no other odd wear on the tyres.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts