Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have just had VW colbornes on the phone to say that I need new pads and disks on my 2003 v8 (only done 54k miles). Does �1020 fully fitted seem correct to you. I have authorised the work, but am now wondering if it is too high a price...

Regards,

James.

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Colbornes have quoted me far more for timing belt change, so would expect their prices to be high...

Plus It's Guildford, so going to have to expect higher prices, but I'm def surprised price is that high... What's the breakdown of parts and labour..?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hipflyguy said:
Colbornes have quoted me far more for timing belt change, so would expect their prices to be high...

Plus It's Guildford, so going to have to expect higher prices, but I'm def surprised price is that high... What's the breakdown of parts and labour..?
Hi Hipflyguy,

Thanks for your response.

I'll find out. - But Alan Day Volkswagen (London) quoted ?970.00 fully fitted so not much in it.

I guess you could be right about Colbornes/Guildford. But after they have given me a loan-car (albeit a Polo!), and will fix a couple of other things under warentee, I guess I will stick with them for now... Bit of a shock though.

James.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That price could be right for front and rear brake pads and discs with VAT and labour included .

Still its a heck of a price :shock:

D

·
Chairman
20,090 Posts
Someone on here did his discs and pads recently himself for about ?400 if I recall aright so ?600 for labour and VAT does seem a bit steep.

There were plenty of excellent mechanics around when I had Beemers who did all my non-service work for about 60% of dealer prices whilst still using BMW parts.

Shame we haven't got a list of non franchise Treg spannermen who'd do the same.

·
350 Posts
That's an outrageous quote. Just had fronts pads done by local garage for 126 quid all in, the quote to do the pads and discs was about 240quid, so double that up for front and rear is 500 quid. Vw charge outrageous money for OE pads I was quoted 140quid for pads alone, the APEC ones fitted by the local garage are as good if not better than the VW ones....the labour charges at the stealers are outrageous too....

·
29 Posts
Just had new EBC Red Stuff pads fitted on the front brakes of my 2004 V10. The pads cost about ?100 (actually a lot less because I bought them in the USA when the pound was about $2, but at present exchange rates they come out at about ?100. Factory equivalent pads were very much cheaper) They were fitted by the VW dealer in Calais as part of the 30,000 mile service at a cost of well under ?50 as far as I can tell from the bill.

When I need new discs I will bring those from the USA as well, even though they are made in Italy, and they seem to cost about ?150 per set.

Labour rates in Calais are so much lower than Guildford or London that a nice day out, a good meal and some wine at Peradel still costs less than the straight service charge in London and the staff are much more polite than at a certain dealer in Battersea.

Be warned however, in France VW recommend an oil for the V10 which VW UK insist must not be used and needed to be removed immediately, at least that is what they said in writing after repeatedly telling me that VW Spec 507 00 is fine for the 2004 V10, but that is another story.

So, on balance I would still go to Calais, have a nice day out, a good meal, good service and the satisfaction of not feeling ripped off.

Sorry this advice is a bit late, but it might be useful to other members.

·
Registered
971 Posts
You can DIY - I did on a V10, although the cheapest I could get Brembo pads / rotors and wear indicators was around £350. Brake and tyres are two areas I don't like compromising quality. A mate used a cheap rotor replacement on his RR Vogue, and after about 20K miles a large V section broke off the N/S rear rotor...just imagine what might have happened..he did not even realise until he washed the wheels!

You should replace the caliper bolts too, and you should buy a truing gauge to ensure the rotors are within tolerance, and a M17 (from memory) 4sq spline bit if you haven't got one, plus a pretty meaty torque wrench. The caliper bolts can be incredibly tight be warned, and not exactly in the easiest spot to get a lot of leverage (upside down with my feet in the wheel arch eventually did it with a length if gas pipe added to my socket solid bar..) -All day job for me at least.

·
Chairman
20,090 Posts
Keep your parking brake up to snuff [5 to 8 clicks max on the foot pedal] by applying it gently once a month and slowly driving a short distance to sweep the rust off the friction surface of the two brake drums.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Someone on here did his discs and pads recently himself for about �400 if I recall aright so �600 for labour and VAT does seem a bit steep.

There were plenty of excellent mechanics around when I had Beemers who did all my non-service work for about 60% of dealer prices whilst still using BMW parts.

Shame we haven't got a list of non franchise Treg spannermen who'd do the same.
http://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/topic/12368-new-front-pads/ see post 13

Since then I have done the caliper seals and have the pistons in the boot for next time I do the pads and would think that pretty much any able bodied chap/ess could easily do the pads as you don't need to release the calipers off their supports.

With the wheels off you could reasonably do each corner in about 10 minutes! Easiest pads I've ever done

·
6,288 Posts
http://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/topic/12368-new-front-pads/ see post 13

Since then I have done the caliper seals and have the pistons in the boot for next time I do the pads and would think that pretty much any able bodied chap/ess could easily do the pads as you don't need to release the calipers off their supports.

With the wheels off you could reasonably do each corner in about 10 minutes! Easiest pads I've ever done
Time quoted needs to include photos for write up

·
372 Posts
I've had my brakes completely overhauled in the last few weeks. 4 new discs, all pads replaced, 3 wear sensors replaced and labour came to £508 including removal and replacement of my propshaft whilst the car was on the ramp. All brake parts supplied and fitted were Pagid as per OEM I believe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts