Adding Bluetooth to an older Touareg.... - myTreg forums

myTreg forums: Adding Bluetooth to an older Touareg.... - myTreg forums

Chris Knott Insurance - Forum Sponsor
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Adding Bluetooth to an older Touareg.... My 'adventure' with this upgrade. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sarakina 

• View gallery
  • Group: Full Member
  • LocationKent UK
  • Time Online: 13d 4h 47m 41s

Posted 01 May 2021 - 09:21 AM

It should have been simple, imo, even on a 2005 vintage car, but here's my story for the possible benefit of others.

I explored several options including a head unit swap, since removed. For a power source i had previously fitted a twin socket USB adaptor. This was wired into the drivers side fuse box to a switched live, and initially i left it tucked behind the end cover panel for easy access. This was done to power a Garmin sat-nav fitted in the dash top cubby box, but i digress. I bought a dedicated lead for the RNS2 AUX port, added a Bluetooth dongle to the USB socket and connected the two. It worked well enough but a dire humming noise with the ignition on rendered it useless.

Backtracking to a post made on my previous thread, i bought a ground loop isolator as suggested by another member, that arrived yesterday and i fitted it this morning. To my pleasant surprise, i now have perfect Bluetooth functionality. Its very basic compared to a modern vehicle of course as all selections have to be made on the phone other than volume. It does though retain the CD multiplayer unlike other options i had tried. And, whilst the ancient CD map navigation is now effectively redundant, hence the Garmin, the original look of the dashboard is maintained, something i wanted if possible. Overall costs, ignoring the replacement head unit and fitting kit i bought, is the princely sum of £25.

Curiously it will only function on the A/V section in the AUX menu, i wonder if this means its mono sound?

Since finally acheiving this, i have also taken up a forum offer to try a pre-owned Yatour device. No Bluetooth with it but seemingly is a better option and has other benefits. I hadnt appreciated their full functionality and it also retains the CD multiplayer. Whether i will acheive music file downloads from I-tunes to an SD card or USB stick remains to be seen.

I wont add up the wasted monies i have accrued along the way though, the Kenwood HU principally, financially too painful.

All this effort for a so called holiday home vehicle is disproportionate of course, but my holiday is usually for six summer months in Greece. And at my age i like my creature comforts.
2005 T1 2.5 SE Sport: with a growing number of new bits.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   Andrewgrale 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationMunster, Ireland
  • Time Online: 2d 6h 52m 58s

Posted 01 May 2021 - 09:41 AM

Age has nothing to do with creature comforts, I understand striving for a standard look and ambience, I went for the Yatour also and am impressed by its simplicity, there's already a bluetooth hands free phone kit fitted by a previous owner and that's working fine, the car is full of CDs and cases though 🤔
06 Touareg commercial auto 2.5 R5 19' Desert alloys and cloth seats

90 Lancia Delta integrale 8v kat

17 Fiat Tipo 1.3 mj Lounge

And several other Italians

#3 User is offline   Sarakina 

• View gallery
  • LocationKent UK

Posted 01 May 2021 - 10:39 AM

View PostAndrewgrale, on 01 May 2021 - 09:41 AM, said:

Age has nothing to do with creature comforts, I understand striving for a standard look and ambience, I went for the Yatour also and am impressed by its simplicity, there's already a bluetooth hands free phone kit fitted by a previous owner and that's working fine, the car is full of CDs and cases though

The CD multiplayer basically holds a library of Pink Floyd music created for me onto six discs by someone who knew how. It doesnt ever get swapped. I have additional Floyd stuff and numerous other artists on a phone used exclusively for music, hence the Bluetooth desire. Getting BT to work became a challenge but with hindsight was probably misguided. Since the offer of a Yatour device was made i realise BT is not the best option. Having tried Grom stuff with abject failure, add on/plug in devices weren't on my radar. Had i realised with Yatour i can keep the CD player i may have gone there first.

Hindsight is wonderful.

Whether i will acheive I-Tunes library transfer to SD card or USB remains to be seen.

#4 User is offline   hunterlees 

• Group: Club Member
  • LocationGlasgow & BT19
  • Time Online: 29d 23h 50m 39s

Posted 01 May 2021 - 02:36 PM

Did this experience leave you Comfortably Numb?
2006 SE Sport 2.5Tdi, Manual, Black, Cricket Leather, Roof Bars, Detachable Tow Bar.
In my 14th year of ownership :-)
2012 BMW 640d Convertible.
2018 BMW 530d M Sport Touring.

#5 User is offline   Sarakina 

• View gallery
  • LocationKent UK

Posted 01 May 2021 - 05:00 PM

View Posthunterlees, on 01 May 2021 - 02:36 PM, said:

Did this experience leave you Comfortably Numb?

It certainly numbed my wallet. Although i'll hopefully recover some when i sell the Kenwood unit :D

#6 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationHarry Hotspur land !
  • Time Online: 173d 19h 6m 37s

Posted 02 May 2021 - 07:56 AM

Well done on getting something sorted to your preferences.

The RNS510 in the facelifted T2 is a better touchscreen HD unit but again simplistic. I managed to add a Fiscon BT unit and get my old iPod connected via the Aux single jack in the front centre console (again with limited functionality via the unit and SW controls but it worked for me) and added to the radio, BT streaming from my phone, SD card slot, HDD and single CD in the head unit for my music options - more than enough :lol:
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#7 User is offline   Sarakina 

• View gallery
  • LocationKent UK

Posted 02 May 2021 - 01:27 PM

View PostCass, on 02 May 2021 - 07:56 AM, said:

Well done on getting something sorted to your preferences.

The RNS510 in the facelifted T2 is a better touchscreen HD unit but again simplistic. I managed to add a Fiscon BT unit and get my old iPod connected via the Aux single jack in the front centre console (again with limited functionality via the unit and SW controls but it worked for me) and added to the radio, BT streaming from my phone, SD card slot, HDD and single CD in the head unit for my music options - more than enough :lol:

I am all about simplicity so yes CD multiplayer, CD in dash, radio, BT streaming is plenty. It's the lack of easy access with BT in my case. Pleased i have created the facility but have reminded myself as to its limitations in this older car.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.