New Tow bar fitted lane assist problem Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Teapot 

• Pip
  • Group: Full Member
  • LocationScotland
  • Time Online: 3h 24m 37s

Posted 29 April 2021 - 03:56 PM

Hi got a new tow bar fitted and software update done by local fitter witter

After towing for a while the lane assist came up deactivated which affects the front assist and the acc

Back to tow bar fitter they have checked over reset software and still nothing. Waiting on a witter tech for help

Booked in a vw who will also check it over

Can anyone give me some pointers to what could be wrong

Is it down to the tow bar ? Or is it just a coincidence?

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon
  • Time Online: 4d 11h 22m 36s

Posted 29 April 2021 - 04:06 PM

This is completely anecdotal but someone made a comment recently on a thread I started on the Caravan Club forum about towing with a Treg on air suspension or steel springs. I started it before I bought my T5.
The poster's comment was about his Treg on coil springs and rear end sag. Sagging to the point that it lifted the nose of the car so much the front radar is out of tolerance and as a consequence ACC is disabled.
Like I said it's anecdotal. I personally found it hard to believe a trailer with a 100kg tongue weight would make a Treg sag that much..
2019 R-Line Tech 286 - Silicon Grey. Air Suspension, Rear wheel steering, 21" Suzuka wheels, Climate seats with massage function, Panoramic sunroof, Dynaudio, Head-up display, Factory tow bar, Ambient light pack, Memory pack plus, Drivers Assistance pack plus, IQ LED matrix lights, Laminated safety privacy glass, TPMS, Heated front climate windscreen, Heated rear seats, Keyless entry/keyless start and full electric tailgate operation, 90L fuel tank, Side assist/side scan

#3 User is offline   Henry11 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNorfolk UK
  • Time Online: 4d 15h 51m 34s

Posted 29 April 2021 - 04:43 PM

The nose weight must have been crazy! I’ve loaded the boot up on my coils, and the car doesn’t move
70 Plate V6 SEL Tech,
231ps
Deep pearl black, Vienna leather, 19” Tirano black alloys
No optional extras ( that I’m aware of yet!)

#4 User is offline   Henry11 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNorfolk UK
  • Time Online: 4d 15h 51m 34s

Posted 29 April 2021 - 04:46 PM

Teapot, you can get a deactivation on the front sensors caused by something simple like a bug splat, I have had it on other VW’s caused by heavy drizzle or heavy rain.
70 Plate V6 SEL Tech,
231ps
Deep pearl black, Vienna leather, 19” Tirano black alloys
No optional extras ( that I’m aware of yet!)

#5 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 174d 26m 10s

Posted 29 April 2021 - 04:49 PM

Which Touareg, what year, Teapot?
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:
http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg and here:
https://www.autoevol...swagen/touareg/

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used Generation 1 VW Touareg [T1 & T2 2002-10] that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:
http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1; 957 = T2; 958.1 = T3; 958.2 = T4; 9YA = T5
Brilliant site with a lot of information and many photos of all the Cayenne models since launch! https://www.stuttcar...ls/cayenne/958/

#6 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 29 April 2021 - 07:58 PM

View PostHenry11, on 29 April 2021 - 04:43 PM, said:

The nose weight must have been crazy! I’ve loaded the boot up on my coils, and the car doesn’t move

My reply is something along the lines that something must be wrong with his car! However I've come across a few other posts talking about rear end sag on the T3, T4 and T5.
Maybe there is something to it. Faulty batches of springs??

If it's ok to post a link to another forum??.. see deepblue1's post
https://www.caravanc...il-springs/?p=3
2019 R-Line Tech 286 - Silicon Grey. Air Suspension, Rear wheel steering, 21" Suzuka wheels, Climate seats with massage function, Panoramic sunroof, Dynaudio, Head-up display, Factory tow bar, Ambient light pack, Memory pack plus, Drivers Assistance pack plus, IQ LED matrix lights, Laminated safety privacy glass, TPMS, Heated front climate windscreen, Heated rear seats, Keyless entry/keyless start and full electric tailgate operation, 90L fuel tank, Side assist/side scan

#7 User is offline   Teapot 

• Pip
  • LocationScotland

Posted 29 April 2021 - 07:59 PM

It’s a 2018 Touareg on standard suspension

The nose weight was 50kg and put the back of the car down a bit

It’s a witter towbar and it was recoded when fitted

No bug splat on the badge

I tow a Adria Alpina Colorado which have a long hitch much longer than standard caravans.

I think I’ve done everything right. I’ve read everything I can on google.

I can only think that once the dealer recalibrate and I’ll ask them to check the software for towing that if I manually switch off lane assist every time I start the car then this shouldn’t happen again when I’m towing.

#8 User is offline   Teapot 

• Pip
  • LocationScotland

Posted 29 April 2021 - 08:02 PM

How do you add a picture I want to show you the cat with the caravan on the back

#9 User is offline   Teapot 

• Pip
  • LocationScotland

Posted 29 April 2021 - 08:11 PM

View Postfka, on 29 April 2021 - 07:58 PM, said:

My reply is something along the lines that something must be wrong with his car! However I've come across a few other posts talking about rear end sag on the T3, T4 and T5.
Maybe there is something to it. Faulty batches of springs??

If it's ok to post a link to another forum??.. see deepblue1's post
https://www.caravanc...il-springs/?p=3

That’s a good read and is pretty much the same as my car but steering still feels assured.

#10 User is offline   Teapot 

• Pip
  • LocationScotland

Posted 29 April 2021 - 08:19 PM

Picture attachedAttached File  FF13ACE7-CC08-41F2-ABC1-8D5121DE1158.jpeg (4.22MB)
Number of downloads: 18

#11 User is offline   Andrewgrale 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationMunster, Ireland
  • Time Online: 2d 6h 52m 58s

Posted 29 April 2021 - 09:34 PM

When I bought my 06 Panzer, I thought the back end looked like a dog preparing to poop 🙄 so I borrowed a friends ramp and got in under it, to discover that the last coil of the left hand rear spring was broken top and bottom and the right spring was broken at the top!

Pair of new springs and it's sitting quite normal 👍
06 Touareg commercial auto 2.5 R5 19' Desert alloys and cloth seats

90 Lancia Delta integrale 8v kat

17 Fiat Tipo 1.3 mj Lounge

And several other Italians

#12 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 30 April 2021 - 12:06 AM

View PostTeapot, on 29 April 2021 - 08:19 PM, said:

That's quite a lot of squat for a 50kg tongue weight. Did you have much in the boot?
I think now I can see what the guy on the Caravan Club forum was talking about with a 100kg on the tow ball.
Worrying considering the owners manual states you should tow with a nose weight as close to the max 140kg as possible. God knows how much it would squat with 140kg on the hitch!

Personally I disable Lane Assist every time I get in the car. Left it on once by mistake when towing and it was horrible.
However, I don't think disabling it will stop ACC and front assist from shutting down IF the issue is the angle of the radar being raised too high. They all use data from the same set of sensors.
As your squat isn't too bad maybe a dealer recalibration of the radar is possible? Beyond that you're looking at assister springs or airbags to level it up.

This is fairly major balls up and interesting that it's an issue on both your softer SE and the stiffer R-Line springs

#13 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 30 April 2021 - 12:09 AM

By the way - nice van! I do like an Adria ..

#14 User is offline   Teapot 

• Pip
  • LocationScotland

Posted 30 April 2021 - 05:56 AM

I had 4 dogs in the boot

I’m going to speak to a company today with regards to what I can do to stiffen the rear up a bit.

#15 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery
  • LocationSouth Staffordshire
  • Time Online: 465d 18h 36m 59s

Posted 30 April 2021 - 06:30 AM

There does seem to be something unusual about T5 noseweight limits - on ClubTouareg the Aussies have noted that the maximum tongueweight (aka noseweight) reduces substantially as the car is loaded, with full tongueweight only available with no rear passengers and no rear load.
2016 MY Touareg SE 262 - Reef Blue

#16 User is offline   hunterlees 

• Group: Club Member
  • LocationGlasgow & BT19
  • Time Online: 29d 23h 50m 39s

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:18 AM

View PostTeapot, on 30 April 2021 - 05:56 AM, said:

I had 4 dogs in the boot

I’m going to speak to a company today with regards to what I can do to stiffen the rear up a bit.

Try speaking to Darkside Developments.
2006 SE Sport 2.5Tdi, Manual, Black, Cricket Leather, Roof Bars, Detachable Tow Bar.
In my 14th year of ownership :-)
2012 BMW 640d Convertible.
2018 BMW 530d M Sport Touring.

#17 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:50 AM

View PostBlack Grouse, on 30 April 2021 - 06:30 AM, said:

There does seem to be something unusual about T5 noseweight limits - on ClubTouareg the Aussies have noted that the maximum tongueweight (aka noseweight) reduces substantially as the car is loaded, with full tongueweight only available with no rear passengers and no rear load.

Don't the Aussies have a much higher initial tongue weight than we do in Europe? i.e. they're allowed to load closer to the actual limit of the rear axle. Where as we are limited by EU/UK law. Hence Aussies load the rear seats or boot, meaning they have to reduce the max tongue accordingly as to not exceed the limits of the axle?!

#18 User is offline   johnb80 

• LocationGainsborough, Lincolnshire
  • Time Online: 29d 6h 35m 57s

Posted 30 April 2021 - 09:59 AM

View Postfka, on 30 April 2021 - 07:50 AM, said:

Don't the Aussies have a much higher initial tongue weight than we do in Europe? i.e. they're allowed to load closer to the actual limit of the rear axle. Where as we are limited by EU/UK law. Hence Assies load the rear seats or boot, meaning they have to reduce the max tongue accordingly as to not exceed the limits of the axle?!

Australian caravans are very much heavier duty than UK ones, meant for off-roading, high ground clearance etc. Weights average at 3 tonnes and above, noseweights are very high compared to European caravans.

https://www.youtube....h?v=wk6KJXeOM0k

They certainly go for it in a big way.
Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 now gone and replaced with the opposite end of the pollution scale, BMW i3 electric car, one word, love it. Previous cars 4.4TDV8 Range Rover, 2006 Touareg 3.0 TDi (Superb Car), Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI (Also Great Car).
If youre old fashioned and still burning fossil fuels, MORRISONS fuel which is the best choice for all Touaregs.
P.S. Watch the mods here, they do dark and devious things when youre not looking LOL

#19 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 30 April 2021 - 10:45 AM

Same in the US. They all have the axle set towards the rear of the trailer chassis which also increases the nose weight and in theory stability.
I've done a bit of reading about weight distribution hitches (purely out of interest). Have to say I don't get it. The moment the WDH applies lifts weight off the rear axle of the tow vehicle and distributes it to the trailer axle and front axle of the tow vehicle.
The WDH apparently maintains the tongue weight if measuring the force applied to the tow ball but all it's doing is applying the same downwards force to the tow ball, with that force then distributed to the aforementioned vehicle and trailer axles. i.e. you've actually reduced the tongue weight on the rear axle. Which is exactly the same as simple reducing the tongue weight of the trailer which can be achieved by loading it differently!
I guess the WDH will increase friction between the hitch and tow ball, which would reduce sway but there's far simpler ways of increasing friction on the tow ball or generally on the pivot, as currently and historically practiced in Europe.

I digress - that's a whole different and very polarised topic in both the US and Aus ..

#20 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery
  • LocationSouth Staffordshire
  • Time Online: 465d 18h 36m 59s

Posted 30 April 2021 - 11:08 AM

View Postfka, on 30 April 2021 - 07:50 AM, said:

Don't the Aussies have a much higher initial tongue weight than we do in Europe? i.e. they're allowed to load closer to the actual limit of the rear axle. Where as we are limited by EU/UK law. Hence Aussies load the rear seats or boot, meaning they have to reduce the max tongue accordingly as to not exceed the limits of the axle?!

It's not EU/UK law that restricts noseweights, but it seems common in EU/UK for noseweight to be limited to 4% of the towing limit, which is a EU/UK minimum. The Aussies and Americans run heavier caravans AND expect higher noseweight (tongueweight) %, typically 10%. Early versions of Touareg had a 350 kg limit out there but reduced to 280 kg on the T4 - compared to 140 kg limit on Touaregs sold in EU/UK.

Most caravans sold in EU/UK have a 100kg limit applied to their hitch anyway.
2016 MY Touareg SE 262 - Reef Blue

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chris Knott Insurance - Forum Sponsor

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.