• You cannot reply to this topic

No lights on trailer unless car is running

#1 User is offline   RichShort22 

• Pip
  • Group: Full Member
  • LocationPlymouth, Devon
  • Time Online: 3h 47m 17s

Posted 27 April 2021 - 06:41 PM

Evening All, It seems that the lights on my trailer only work then the car is running, ie hazzard lights or side lights dont work if car parked up. Not a great thing to have. Also it has no warning indicators are on and working, not on dash or a buzzer in rear. Anyone have any ideas please??
2007 57plate 3.0l V6

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery
  • LocationSouth Staffordshire
  • Time Online: 465d 18h 36m 59s

Posted 27 April 2021 - 06:45 PM

Trailer warning can be positive or negative - unlike many aftermarket wiring arrangements, the VW trailer wiring only warns if the trailer lights AREN'T working - so what sort of wiring do you have, VW factory-fit, third-party dedicated wiring or universal wiring kit ?
2016 MY Touareg SE 262 - Reef Blue

#3 User is offline   johnb80 

• LocationGainsborough, Lincolnshire
  • Time Online: 29d 6h 35m 57s

Posted 27 April 2021 - 07:37 PM

View PostRichShort22, on 27 April 2021 - 06:41 PM, said:

Evening All, It seems that the lights on my trailer only work then the car is running, ie hazzard lights or side lights dont work if car parked up. Not a great thing to have. Also it has no warning indicators are on and working, not on dash or a buzzer in rear. Anyone have any ideas please??

My guess is that you have a universal relay board fitted instead of dedicated electrics and whoever fitted it, used a 12v supply thats only live when the ignition is on/engine running. If thats the case, located a constant 12v feed and that will resolve the issue.
Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 now gone and replaced with the opposite end of the pollution scale, BMW i3 electric car, one word, love it. Previous cars 4.4TDV8 Range Rover, 2006 Touareg 3.0 TDi (Superb Car), Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI (Also Great Car).
If youre old fashioned and still burning fossil fuels, MORRISONS fuel which is the best choice for all Touaregs.
P.S. Watch the mods here, they do dark and devious things when youre not looking LOL

#4 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon
  • Time Online: 4d 11h 22m 36s

Posted 27 April 2021 - 09:14 PM

View PostBlack Grouse, on 27 April 2021 - 06:45 PM, said:

Trailer warning can be positive or negative - unlike many aftermarket wiring arrangements, the VW trailer wiring only warns if the trailer lights AREN'T working - so what sort of wiring do you have, VW factory-fit, third-party dedicated wiring or universal wiring kit ?

Surely the factory wiring has a tell tale? The T5 certainly does within the binnacle
2019 R-Line Tech 286 - Silicon Grey. Air Suspension, Rear wheel steering, 21" Suzuka wheels, Climate seats with massage function, Panoramic sunroof, Dynaudio, Head-up display, Factory tow bar, Ambient light pack, Memory pack plus, Drivers Assistance pack plus, IQ LED matrix lights, Laminated safety privacy glass, TPMS, Heated front climate windscreen, Heated rear seats, Keyless entry/keyless start and full electric tailgate operation, 90L fuel tank, Side assist/side scan

#5 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 174d 26m 10s

Posted 27 April 2021 - 09:42 PM

As Black Grouse said, it may not be a factory install and the OP hasn't told us which Touareg.
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:
http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg and here:
https://www.autoevol...swagen/touareg/

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used Generation 1 VW Touareg [T1 & T2 2002-10] that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:
http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1; 957 = T2; 958.1 = T3; 958.2 = T4; 9YA = T5
Brilliant site with a lot of information and many photos of all the Cayenne models since launch! https://www.stuttcar...ls/cayenne/958/

#6 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 28 April 2021 - 01:01 AM

I was referring to this comment.

VW trailer wiring only warns if the trailer lights AREN'T working

Assuming the OP is talking about a T2 looking at his sig
2019 R-Line Tech 286 - Silicon Grey. Air Suspension, Rear wheel steering, 21" Suzuka wheels, Climate seats with massage function, Panoramic sunroof, Dynaudio, Head-up display, Factory tow bar, Ambient light pack, Memory pack plus, Drivers Assistance pack plus, IQ LED matrix lights, Laminated safety privacy glass, TPMS, Heated front climate windscreen, Heated rear seats, Keyless entry/keyless start and full electric tailgate operation, 90L fuel tank, Side assist/side scan

#7 User is offline   johnb80 

• LocationGainsborough, Lincolnshire
  • Time Online: 29d 6h 35m 57s

Posted 28 April 2021 - 05:10 AM

View Postfka, on 28 April 2021 - 01:01 AM, said:

I was referring to this comment.

Assuming the OP is talking about a T2 looking at his sig

T1 and T2 for sure indicate when theres a fault not when it's working.
Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 now gone and replaced with the opposite end of the pollution scale, BMW i3 electric car, one word, love it. Previous cars 4.4TDV8 Range Rover, 2006 Touareg 3.0 TDi (Superb Car), Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI (Also Great Car).
If youre old fashioned and still burning fossil fuels, MORRISONS fuel which is the best choice for all Touaregs.
P.S. Watch the mods here, they do dark and devious things when youre not looking LOL

#8 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery

Posted 28 April 2021 - 07:01 AM

View Postfka, on 27 April 2021 - 09:14 PM, said:

Surely the factory wiring has a tell tail? The T5 certainly does within the binnacle

My T4 with factory wiring hasn't - the bulb failure circuits "know" when a trailer is attached and will warn if trailer bulbs not working - but nothing to show they're working.

#9 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 28 April 2021 - 02:56 PM

Having read this excerpt from the T5 OM I'm now not sure if is lit permanently when the trailer's connected. I certainly flashes when you indicate.
OM suggests it's lit permanently, going off when an indicator lamp or all trailer lights fail. But I'd assume if one bulb goes out it would also trigger the vehicle lighting failure lamp/error message. Typically, there's bugger all in the OM about it. I'll have to have a play around when I'm next at the van storage place. I'm curious now!

Attached File  Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 15.27.06.png (102.15K)
Number of downloads: 2

#10 User is online   Cass 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationHarry Hotspur land !
  • Time Online: 173d 18h 51m 50s

Posted 29 April 2021 - 11:48 AM

View Postfka, on 28 April 2021 - 02:56 PM, said:

Having read this excerpt from the T5 OM I'm now not sure if is lit permanently when the trailer's connected. I certainly flashes when you indicate.
OM suggests it's lit permanently, going off when an indicator lamp or all trailer lights fail. But I'd assume if one bulb goes out it would also trigger the vehicle lighting failure lamp/error message. Typically, there's bugger all in the OM about it. I'll have to have a play around when I'm next at the van storage place. I'm curious now!

Attachment Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 15.27.06.png

You are comparing a 2007 T2 with a 2019 T5 and the systems could be completely different given the number of years between the models and the more modern tech of the T5. Let us know what you find when you check your car out.
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#11 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 29 April 2021 - 02:40 PM

Not comparing anything as such.. just drifting off topic :)
Although cars of the OP's vintage generally employed either a buzzer, tell-tale lamp or both. Retrofit and it's anyone's guess. I've spoken to plenty of tow bar fitting companies over years that don't seem to think any form of tell-tale is required!

#12 User is offline   RichShort22 

• Pip
  • LocationPlymouth, Devon
  • Time Online: 3h 47m 17s

Posted 30 April 2021 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for all comments. Its a 57 plate? What i was getting at is on most cars ive had before when you are using your indicators you would normally have either a buzzer to say they are working or a symbol on the dash.
As for the kit used im unsure but will look at that over the weekend.
2007 57plate 3.0l V6

#13 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery

Posted 30 April 2021 - 06:38 PM

View PostRichShort22, on 30 April 2021 - 06:27 PM, said:

Thanks for all comments. Its a 57 plate? What i was getting at is on most cars ive had before when you are using your indicators you would normally have either a buzzer to say they are working or a symbol on the dash.
As for the kit used im unsure but will look at that over the weekend.

There's no "normal" - it's always been legal to work either way, warning that it's working or warning when there's a fault.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chris Knott Insurance - Forum Sponsor

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.