T5 eight months in Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   Henry11 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Member
  • LocationNorfolk UK
  • Time Online: 4d 15h 51m 34s

Posted 27 April 2021 - 01:58 PM

Thought I’d share my thoughts on the T5 after nearly 8 months ownership and 6000 miles.
This is my first Touareg after 6 years of Tiguans. What a step up in car this really is. Have looked for a while, and to be honest preferred the styling of the older model, but after living with this I really do like it, and the chrome grill I’ve got used to. Comfort is just great. I’ve had a couple of spinal ops over the years so seat position and comfort are the first thing I look at in the car. Didn’t think I’d better my Tiguan ergo seats, but how wrong can you be. My seat is one of the more basic in the range, but my while driving position is so relaxed it really is a pleasure to be in. My meds have actually reduced since owning this car, so says it all really.
The engine is a joy. Yes there is the occasional lag, as had been discussed, but most of the time it responds as you’d expect. Mine is only the 231 ps but has more than enough grunt when I need it. I would honestly say it’s the best car I’ve driven. It handles so well for the size, and no body roll when pushing it through bends, it doesn’t feel like a 2 ton block.
The build quality is a step up. Wind noise is very low, the Tiguans were quite noisy around the wing mirrors, this is very refined. Soundproofing is excellent, A car that you can quite happily cruise along in or have some fun depending on how you feel!
Economy wise I thought this was going to hit the wallet after my 2 litre diesels and a 1.5 tsi. Couldn’t be further from the truth. I’m actually getting better mpg. Not sure in the theory that engines get better after a few thousand miles, but I’m regularly getting 43-44 mpg. I don’t use supermarket fuel ( and don’t want to get into discussions about it, we all have our thoughts , this is the way I run my cars) I’ve been putting in the esso supreme what ever it’s called juice in for the past few months, over the standard esso diesel and have seen an improvement of some 5 mpg. Yes I know I’ve paid 20p more a litre, but personally think it’s worth a few quid more.
Now the technology. Wow, is all I can say. The car drives itself, apart from steering, should you want it to. Have been used to adaptive cruise control, where you needed a car in front to basically follow them at a distance of your choice. This beast reads the road. I can be on an empty road, press a button on the wheel and the car sticks to what ever speed limit the road shows, so you’re in a 60, up ahead comes a 40 mpg limit, a display comes on the dash saying 40 mph ahead, and hits 40 at the sign. When the road returns to de restricted it accelerates up to 60. Clever stuff, but it gets better. You’re on a winding road, the car reads the satnav and will take you around bends at the appropriate speed, all I do is steer. The speed it takes the bends at and the way it accelerates from a speed limit up to de restricted is very progressive. Not sure if the car has learnt how i drive, but I’m not sat there thinking, put the pedal down. Very occasional slight issue is, if you pass a side road, and the side roads speed sign has been bent so it can be read from your road, it throws up a warning of speed to high, and slows you. Very rare this happens though, and you basically just have to accelerate.
Everything is controlled by the screen or voice. Did have concerns about taking eye of road to adjust temp, but once you get used to car, it’s not much different to feeling for the old dial. The display is stunning and very adjustable to how ever you want it. All in 3D so it’s like driving through a picture.
The stereo quality is the best I’ve encountered in any of my cars, and I’ve had a few over the years.
Ive had a little play on green lanes and a couple of coastal tracks and it rides lovely over the ruts. Most of my driving is road, but do like to use the ability when I can.
Anything I would change? Nothing really. I’ve had the screen go blank for around a minute twice in the last 8 months. Annoying as you can’t control anything on the car. Thankfully was such a short time it didn’t matter, I’ll mention it on first service. Was a little concerned it was going to be too big to park anywhere, especially as they do rear wheel steering, but after the first week or so of getting used to the bulk it now feels like my normal car. Multi storey car park not an issue, and I have no battle scars! I have to press two buttons on the wheel to deactivate the lane assist on every trip, but have got used to the routine now.
Feel very lucky to have joined the Touareg clan, this really is a special car, and my wife loves it too, which is rare for her to have such a positive feeling towards a car. Now looking forward to getting out and about as our world starts to open up. Keep on a trosh’n
70 Plate V6 SEL Tech,
231ps
Deep pearl black, Vienna leather, 19” Tirano black alloys
No optional extras ( that I’m aware of yet!)

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 174d 26m 10s

Posted 27 April 2021 - 02:41 PM

Good post. Glad you are enjoying the car.

It's a shame car designers screw up good design - way too much bling on the T5 for me but now there's no way I'd touch one of the latest BMWs either with those frightful gormless gaping grilles!

I still wish I'd kept my old 1996 Generation 3 E38 7 series. I see a dark green 740 from time to time and I always stop to look at it!
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:
http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg and here:
https://www.autoevol...swagen/touareg/

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used Generation 1 VW Touareg [T1 & T2 2002-10] that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:
http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1; 957 = T2; 958.1 = T3; 958.2 = T4; 9YA = T5
Brilliant site with a lot of information and many photos of all the Cayenne models since launch! https://www.stuttcar...ls/cayenne/958/

#3 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationHarry Hotspur land !
  • Time Online: 173d 19h 6m 37s

Posted 27 April 2021 - 03:14 PM

Great write up and good to hear of your opinions about the T5 and with the comfort, performance and technology.

There are more of them appearing on the roads now and many are of a decent spec.

Let us know how you are feeling in another 6 months ;)
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#4 User is offline   Henry11 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNorfolk UK

Posted 27 April 2021 - 03:17 PM

With you there Nooby, my 1984 BMW E30 320 was my favourite car , in zinabar red was my pride and joy. Think that was the time when BMW’s were bit special, run of the mill now
70 Plate V6 SEL Tech,
231ps

#5 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon
  • Time Online: 4d 11h 22m 36s

Posted 27 April 2021 - 08:59 PM

Good write up Henry! I'm glad you're still enjoying it.
I've only put just over 2.5k on mine since I got it in November but I've managed a few long hauls in it. Have found a few minor niggles but they are very minor. They're fantastic places to be when you've a few hundred miles to soak up.
Not been closer than the odd dirt track to off road. Will be correcting that in August when we take the van to our friends farm in mid Wales. They've some interesting tracks around the fields I'll be trying not to get stuck in :rolleyes:
Deffo seeing more T5s on the road now, although I do like that it's still quite a rare motor.
Have spotted 3 local to me, parked next to a sister of our car (same colour, same spec) when we took the kids swimming last weekend. Car I'd seen before I bought ours, filthy dirty but both me and the Mrs took one look at it and said 'want one like that please'!
2019 R-Line Tech 286 - Silicon Grey. Air Suspension, Rear wheel steering, 21" Suzuka wheels, Climate seats with massage function, Panoramic sunroof, Dynaudio, Head-up display, Factory tow bar, Ambient light pack, Memory pack plus, Drivers Assistance pack plus, IQ LED matrix lights, Laminated safety privacy glass, TPMS, Heated front climate windscreen, Heated rear seats, Keyless entry/keyless start and full electric tailgate operation, 90L fuel tank, Side assist/side scan

#6 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 27 April 2021 - 09:08 PM

View PostNoobyT, on 27 April 2021 - 02:41 PM, said:

It's a shame car designers screw up good design - way too much bling on the T5 for me

They certainly look a lot less like a jacked up Golf now :lol:

I'm starting to miss not having a Saab in my life. I've been seriously tempted by a old 900 turbo. The lady of the house is not buying into the idea though!
2019 R-Line Tech 286 - Silicon Grey. Air Suspension, Rear wheel steering, 21" Suzuka wheels, Climate seats with massage function, Panoramic sunroof, Dynaudio, Head-up display, Factory tow bar, Ambient light pack, Memory pack plus, Drivers Assistance pack plus, IQ LED matrix lights, Laminated safety privacy glass, TPMS, Heated front climate windscreen, Heated rear seats, Keyless entry/keyless start and full electric tailgate operation, 90L fuel tank, Side assist/side scan

#7 User is offline   Henry11 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNorfolk UK

Posted 28 April 2021 - 06:19 AM

Weird how we have car history, I had a Saab 900i in cayenne pepper red, loved it, traded it for a 93 diesel as petrol was not the best tow car ( was a new shed dragged then) hated it, no where as good quality as the 900. Also got my wife an old 9000 which was huge after her normal novas, but I got a deal! Actually made money on that one, first and only time in my life!
70 Plate V6 SEL Tech,
231ps

#8 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:29 AM

I had three SAAB 900s, the last being a 16 valve tweaked to 250 BHP. Nigh on 500,000 miles between them.

The 900 8 valve was kept by my dealer and went on to do 450,000 miles as their parts car with only a new clutch and a gearbox rebuild at 400K!
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used Generation 1 VW Touareg [T1 & T2 2002-10] that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:

Brilliant site with a lot of information and many photos of all the Cayenne models since launch! https://www.stuttcar...ls/cayenne/958/

#9 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery
  • LocationSouth Staffordshire
  • Time Online: 465d 18h 36m 59s

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:43 AM

View PostNoobyT, on 28 April 2021 - 08:29 AM, said:

I had three SAAB 900s, the last being a 16 valve tweaked to 250 BHP. Nigh on 500,000 miles between them.

The 900 8 valve was kept by my dealer and went on to do 450,000 miles as their parts car with only a new clutch and a gearbox rebuild at 400K!

Were those the Classic 900, based on the 99 - or the new 900 based on the Vauxhall Cavalier / Opel Vectra ?
2016 MY Touareg SE 262 - Reef Blue

#10 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 28 April 2021 - 09:43 AM

I think we're all talking about the so called C900 (classic 900) as apposed to the NG900/OG9-3 Vectra based model.

I've had an OG9-3 Aero that left my ownership with a stage 3+ (stage 4 depending on your ranking) tune. 280bhp and 420NM.
I'd fully reworked the suspension with Bilstein B12 (B8 dampers + Eibach springs) poly bushes etc.. Loved that car but the cassis is essentially crap, very twisty.

The 9-5 estate I sold last year was in a similar state when I passed it on but was nearer to 315bhp and 450NM.
They're not 0>60 monsters but midrange 3rd gear pull was just phenomenal. My 9-5 had a reworked turbo and held boost right up the rev range. Drop to 3rd or 4th on the motorway and you'd be in licence losing territory very quickly.

My old man had a couple of 9000i as company cars in the late 80's early 90s. Think that's what got me started.

Sorry Henry this has gone way off topic :blink:

#11 User is offline   Henry11 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNorfolk UK

Posted 28 April 2021 - 09:52 AM

Better than reading my post fka! Had forgotten my good Saab memories, mine were not tweaked in any way. The GM 93 was horrible in comparison.
70 Plate V6 SEL Tech,
231ps

#12 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 28 April 2021 - 10:01 AM

I very much enjoyed reading your post!

Are you talking about the last 93 (2002/3 to 2012) they made or the 1st one (1998 to 2001/2)?
I think the NG9-3 (new generation) was a far more competent car handling wise. The 9-5 actually didn't make such a bad tow car, when you could actually get the power down without spinning the wheels.

#13 User is offline   Henry11 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNorfolk UK

Posted 28 April 2021 - 10:09 AM

Off topic again, just remembered an old colleague of mine had a lovely 900, was his pride and joy, had it years. Went to the theatre in Norwich, parked it in multi-storey car park. Comes out of show, car gone, reports it stolen. Comes to work next day, distraught. I told him he must have parked it on another level, Saab’s don’t get nicked, too safe with the car in reverse etc to get key out. Did you check all levels I ask, oh yes.
Insurance payout, couple of months later, gets a call his car was on another level of the multi-storey covered in about £300 of parking tickets. I didn’t give him too much grief!
Promise that’s the end of my Saab stories
70 Plate V6 SEL Tech,
231ps

#14 User is offline   Henry11 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNorfolk UK

Posted 28 April 2021 - 10:16 AM

My 93 was first gen, think it was a 1999. Didn’t keep it long, as you say wheels spun when towing, especially it you were pulling off on a damp incline. Bought a new RAV4, my first 4 wheel drive. Lovely car, I’m now thinking of the thousands I’ve wasted on cars over the years 😭
70 Plate V6 SEL Tech,
231ps

#15 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 28 April 2021 - 10:25 AM

View PostHenry11, on 28 April 2021 - 10:09 AM, said:

Off topic again, just remembered an old colleague of mine had a lovely 900, was his pride and joy, had it years. Went to the theatre in Norwich, parked it in multi-storey car park. Comes out of show, car gone, reports it stolen. Comes to work next day, distraught. I told him he must have parked it on another level, Saab’s don’t get nicked, too safe with the car in reverse etc to get key out. Did you check all levels I ask, oh yes.
Insurance payout, couple of months later, gets a call his car was on another level of the multi-storey covered in about £300 of parking tickets. I didn’t give him too much grief!
Promise that’s the end of my Saab stories

That's priceless :lol:
I shudder to think of what I've spent on cars. On just the 2 Saabs, considering they were essentially sheds, I've collected over £15k of receipts for 9-3 and around £10k for the 9-5. Although the Touareg is by far the most money I've spent on a car.

#16 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 28 April 2021 - 10:46 AM

Here's my 9-3 Aero. Nicest looking car I've owned in my opinion. And I'll wager, the most comfortable seats ever placed in a car!

Attached File  2017-10-08 12.03.24.jpg (442.5K)
Number of downloads: 10

Attached File  2017-10-08 12.55.30.jpg (406.19K)
Number of downloads: 9

#17 User is offline   Henry11 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNorfolk UK

Posted 28 April 2021 - 11:19 AM

Cracking, and totally agree on the seats. Used to like the blank button that shutoff the dashboard lights allbar the speedo.
70 Plate V6 SEL Tech,
231ps

#18 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman

Posted 28 April 2021 - 11:33 AM

View PostBlack Grouse, on 28 April 2021 - 08:43 AM, said:

Were those the Classic 900, based on the 99 - or the new 900 based on the Vauxhall Cavalier / Opel Vectra ?

Classics!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.