Silly Question - Parrot BT Kit Removal? - myTreg forums

myTreg forums: Silly Question - Parrot BT Kit Removal? - myTreg forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Silly Question - Parrot BT Kit Removal? How do i remove the passenger under-dash panel? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sarakina 

• View gallery
  • Group: Full Member
  • LocationKent UK
  • Time Online: 13d 4h 56m 57s

Posted 12 March 2021 - 10:48 AM

The weather has prohibited me completing my bluetooth retrofit though most of the Parrot kit is immobilised.

Tracing the wiring loom it disappears left and downward from the radio slot, so im hoping the Parrot control box is resting above the n/s footwell trim, where the courtesy light is. Theres no screws to remove so maybe its a simple pull/push fit but i dont want to break anything πŸ€”
2005 T1 2.5 SE Sport: with a growing number of new bits.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationHarry Hotspur land !
  • Time Online: 173d 19h 26m 51s

Posted 12 March 2021 - 11:48 AM

There are posts around to remove the dash trim above the glovebox (radio out giving you access to the inboard dash trim clip/connector) and when that has been removed you will get access to 3 Torx screws at the top of the glovebox:

https://www.clubtoua...glovebox.57797/

From memory, you could also try removing the dash end panel which will give you access to the fuses and possibly the location where the wiring harness connects into :huh:

https://fuse-box.inf...fuses-and-relay
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#3 User is offline   Andrewgrale 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationMunster, Ireland
  • Time Online: 2d 6h 58m 8s

Posted 12 March 2021 - 11:49 AM

Not a silly question at all πŸ‘

The passenger kick panel is just clipped in, get something between the panel and the dash and lever gently, there are 3 clips.
When you are re-assembling, there are 2 location pegs on the front side of the panel that slide into 2 holes, align these before you secure the panel into the clips
06 Touareg commercial auto 2.5 R5 19' Desert alloys and cloth seats

90 Lancia Delta integrale 8v kat

17 Fiat Tipo 1.3 mj Lounge

And several other Italians

#4 User is offline   Sarakina 

• View gallery
  • LocationKent UK

Posted 12 March 2021 - 12:16 PM

Just come back indoors having pulled the panel down so my guess was correct :D

I'm really surprised at how much stuff is associated with the Parrot kit! Not fitted by a great installer i think. It may all be hidden but the wiring is a mess. Theres evidence of an old fixed phone system too

It's due to be warmer and less windy tomorrow i'll tackle it properly then.

For good measure I've ordered a new cabin filter while I'm in the vicinity. Looking at the messy and obstructive Parrot wiring the filter is probably very old.

Thanks for the replies 👍

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Andrewgrale 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationMunster, Ireland
  • Time Online: 2d 6h 58m 8s

Posted 12 March 2021 - 12:52 PM

Most people working on aftermarket fitting, use the quick, easy and hidden rule, all of the fitters are working to a budget time and cost wise and won't take the extra steps, if what they fit and associated wiring or shortcuts are hidden from view πŸ™„

I rearranged the phone kit in my Touareg and to do it to my satisfaction took 3 hours, routing wiring within clips and positioning hardware where there's no chance of rattling against panels!
06 Touareg commercial auto 2.5 R5 19' Desert alloys and cloth seats

90 Lancia Delta integrale 8v kat

17 Fiat Tipo 1.3 mj Lounge

And several other Italians

#6 User is offline   Sarakina 

• View gallery
  • LocationKent UK

Posted 12 March 2021 - 01:37 PM

View PostAndrewgrale, on 12 March 2021 - 12:52 PM, said:

Most people working on aftermarket fitting, use the quick, easy and hidden rule, all of the fitters are working to a budget time and cost wise and won't take the extra steps, if what they fit and associated wiring or shortcuts are hidden from view πŸ™„

I rearranged the phone kit in my Touareg and to do it to my satisfaction took 3 hours, routing wiring within clips and positioning hardware where there's no chance of rattling against panels!

Yes, agreed. Tardiness has never featured in my approach to fitting anything, even in this older vehicle. I can spend some time stripping this mess out tomorrow then fit the Grom USB kit nicely and properly. Cable ties, tape and tools are being readied for the morning.

#7 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 174d 1h 51m 43s

Posted 12 March 2021 - 03:15 PM

View PostSarakina, on 12 March 2021 - 01:37 PM, said:

Cable ties, tape and tools are being readied for the morning.

Reads more like a BDSM session!
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:
http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg and here:
https://www.autoevol...swagen/touareg/

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used Generation 1 VW Touareg [T1 & T2 2002-10] that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:
http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1; 957 = T2; 958.1 = T3; 958.2 = T4; 9YA = T5
Brilliant site with a lot of information and many photos of all the Cayenne models since launch! https://www.stuttcar...ls/cayenne/958/

#8 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationHarry Hotspur land !
  • Time Online: 173d 19h 26m 51s

Posted 12 March 2021 - 04:12 PM

Could well have been a DIY install as Parrot BT kits were pretty easy to do :huh:

Some early Tregs also came with a factory BT kit where the BT module was located under the drivers seat (RHD cars) however the phones compatible with this were very limited and it would t work with more modern smart phones so the sustem was removed or left in situ and changed for aftermarket kits such as Parrot.

Don’t forget to take some images and consider doing do a DIY thread of your new install :huh:
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#9 User is offline   Sarakina 

• View gallery
  • LocationKent UK

Posted 13 March 2021 - 04:26 PM

It transpires a re-think is necessary. Its too detailed to try and explain why but it doesnt work :(

I've fitted Grom products before without any issues but once this one was fitted i couldnt answer an incoming call hands-free, nor could i dial out as the system is supposed to facilitate.

Grom UK dont know why its seemingly not compatible. For reference it is their USB3 system.

I've messaged Connects2 for their recommendations, failing that i'll have to replace the factory HU after all.

#10 User is offline   Sarakina 

• View gallery
  • LocationKent UK

Posted 18 March 2021 - 06:53 PM

So, after the frustration of the failed Grom Audio bluetooth kit and a "nothing suitable" response from Connects2, i reluctantly concluded the factory HU had to go. I looked at the obvious aftermarket makers, Sony, Pioneer etc.

I settled on a Kenwood DPX-5200BT which looks like this,

Its literally stacked with features, some i'll never need, but it does give me bluetooth phone calls to replace the Parrot system, and allows music streaming from an Android device, i-pod, spotify and much more. Yes sat-nav is lost but the factory HU is so out of date its no real loss, especially in Greece where mapping is dire anyway. Garmin to the rescue here with a device dropped into the dash top cubby box. Its easily updated and more intuitive. Mapping of rural Greece is poor from any resource too. There are thousands of 'unnamed roads' displayed, even on the Garmin which all adds to adventures while driving. I looked at the Chinese HU replacement options but maps on SD cards didn't appeal either.

So its fitted now and i'm fine tuning as i learn it. Red illumination, radio tuned in and phones paired so far, in between the unpleasant weather cold showers.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.