• You cannot reply to this topic

Yet another Newby Newby

#1 User is offline   Big iain 

• Pip
  • Group: Full Member
  • LocationNorthumberland county u.k
  • Time Online: 1h 45m 7s

Posted 22 February 2021 - 03:35 PM

Hi guys hope I'm in the right place as I've never used one of these forums before I'm iain I'm up in Northumberland i'm in the process of buying a 2004 V10 TDI I do understand the risks involved and what can go wrong I drove one in 2004 and was astonished although all of my buddies have said stay well clear if you don't buy something you want you'll never have it so I'm just waiting for the go-ahead from the garage to see that everything is okay then I'll pop down and grab it its a 2004 with 139.000 on the clock the reg is VNZ5906 although the registration will be changing once I get it I'll be putting my own private plate on if anybody knows any history of this vehicle then don't be afraid to bash your gums 🤣 .....cheers

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationHarry Hotspur land !
  • Time Online: 171d 17h 19m 29s

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:25 PM

Hi Iain and welcome to myTreg.com

Always a pleasure to welcome new members from God’s Country and those brave enough to consider buying a V10 Touareg!

Please remember to provide some details about your vehicle (year and model are a good start) in your signature as it helps the members answer your questions with model specific issues. Your location (in your profile) is useful so that members don't recommend services you can't get to.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

To search use google with; [site:www.mytreg.com <search words>] for your questions as they may have been asked before, please beware that the site search needs 4 or more letter words, (no limit with the Google search).

Please post your question once in the appropriate discussion forum appropriate to your model and use the topic title & description to briefly summarise the problem. This will assist others and provide for a quicker response - it will also be searchable so ensure that the title of the thread reflects the issue. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

New members and guests can use the 'View New Content' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar, as a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were last on the forum.

Although you already have your Touareg; please read this excellent buyers guide as it will familiarise you with common issues you may experience during the ownership of your vehicle.

Every member has a Gallery area in their profile and we love to see photos of your Touareg in action. Why not add a marker where you are located to the ‘Touareg Map of the World’ as well.

Please read the Announcements in the New Members Section which includes instructions on how to add photographs/images to posts and your My Gallery area.

Finally we often recommend the value of a good aftermarket warranty, please read the warranty forum area for our experience and advice.

Kind Regards
The Admin Team.
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#3 User is offline   johnb80 

• LocationGainsborough, Lincolnshire
  • Time Online: 28d 9h 12m 5s

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:41 PM

View PostBig iain, on 22 February 2021 - 03:35 PM, said:

Hi guys hope I'm in the right place as I've never used one of these forums before I'm iain I'm up in Northumberland i'm in the process of buying a 2004 V10 TDI I do understand the risks involved and what can go wrong I drove one in 2004 and was astonished although all of my buddies have said stay well clear if you don't buy something you want you'll never have it so I'm just waiting for the go-ahead from the garage to see that everything is okay then I'll pop down and grab it its a 2004 with 139.000 on the clock the reg is VNZ5906 although the registration will be changing once I get it I'll be putting my own private plate on if anybody knows any history of this vehicle then don't be afraid to bash your gums 🤣 .....cheers

Welcome BUT DONT DO IT

V10's are a nightmare with even quite mundane jobs requiring engine removal. V10 is a supercar and maintain supercar repair costs even at 16 years old. V6 is a much better prospect, little difference in performance, better fuel consumption and they can be worked on.

J
Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 now gone and replaced with the opposite end of the pollution scale, BMW i3 electric car, one word, love it. Previous cars 4.4TDV8 Range Rover, 2006 Touareg 3.0 TDi (Superb Car), Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI (Also Great Car).
If youre old fashioned and still burning fossil fuels, MORRISONS fuel which is the best choice for all Touaregs.
P.S. Watch the mods here, they do dark and devious things when youre not looking LOL

#4 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 169d 13h 24m 6s

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:16 PM

If you have deeeeep pockets and don't mind spending thousands if something goes wrong, fine.

If you are likely to resent having to pay for up to 30 hours of labour to remove and replace the engine to replace an exhaust sensor for example, don't walk away - RUN.

The other key item is knowing that EXACTLY the right oil (VW 505.01 or VW 506.01) has been used throughout its life otherwise the car is likely to have prematurely worn camshaft lobes.

A full VW dealer history is no guarantee, by the way, as dealers often use the wrong oil.

If you open the fuel filler cap, is there a rubber flap with an small screw cap underneath it?

If so then you may need 5 litres of Eolys fluid (NOT adblu) and this is not cheap at around 50 quid a litre!

Do take the time to read the buying a used Touareg thread before you consider completing the purchase.
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:
http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg and here:
https://www.autoevol...swagen/touareg/

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used Generation 1 VW Touareg [T1 & T2 2002-10] that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:
http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1; 957 = T2; 958.1 = T3; 958.2 = T4; 9YA = T5
Brilliant site with a lot of information and many photos of all the Cayenne models since launch! https://www.stuttcar...ls/cayenne/958/

#5 User is online   hunterlees 

• Group: Club Member
  • LocationGlasgow & BT19
  • Time Online: 29d 8h 31m 33s

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:18 AM

If you really recognise the risks, and are still determined to get a V10, here is an alternative one for sale by way of comparison

https://www.gumtree....-v10/1395668913
2006 SE Sport 2.5Tdi, Manual, Black, Cricket Leather, Roof Bars, Detachable Tow Bar.
In my 14th year of ownership :-)
2012 BMW 640d Convertible.
2018 BMW 530d M Sport Touring.

#6 User is offline   Ttoe 

• PipPip
  • LocationManchester
  • Time Online: 13h 28m 57s

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:19 AM

View PostBig iain, on 22 February 2021 - 03:35 PM, said:

Very brave , taking on a v10 ,
Good luck
2009 2.5 TDI Manual

#7 User is offline   johnb80 

• LocationGainsborough, Lincolnshire
  • Time Online: 28d 9h 12m 5s

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:43 PM

View Posthunterlees, on 23 February 2021 - 09:18 AM, said:

If you really recognise the risks, and are still determined to get a V10, here is an alternative one for sale by way of comparison

https://www.gumtree....-v10/1395668913

Good luck at that kind of money, crazy.
Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 now gone and replaced with the opposite end of the pollution scale, BMW i3 electric car, one word, love it. Previous cars 4.4TDV8 Range Rover, 2006 Touareg 3.0 TDi (Superb Car), Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI (Also Great Car).
If youre old fashioned and still burning fossil fuels, MORRISONS fuel which is the best choice for all Touaregs.
P.S. Watch the mods here, they do dark and devious things when youre not looking LOL

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chris Knott Insurance - Forum Sponsor

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.