• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All Season Tyres for 21" Suzuka wheels - T5 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   fka 

• Group: Full Member
  • LocationLondon
  • Time Online: 2d 22h 17m 55s

Posted 17 February 2021 - 03:26 PM

I've been looking at all season or M+S tyres for the 9.5Jx21 ET31 Suzuka wheels on my T5. Factory tyres are 285/40 R21 109Y
There's not a lot of options if you're sticking to the factory size. Bit more availability if you drop the width down to 275 but with either a 40 or 45AR the overall diameter will be slightly off and the loss of width will leave the rims a bit more exposed.

I'd dug up Continental Cross Contact LX Sport but the closest available has an H speed rating.
Have spoken to my local dealer and they stated fitting an H rating wouldn't be a problem warranty wise since most winter tyres are of a lower speed rating anyway.
I'd obviously check but I'm fairly sure my insurance company wouldn't be too bothered either. My days of getting anywhere near close to 130mph are long gone. Regardless it would bother me a little. Also can't find any decent reviews on these either.
Continental Cross Contact LX Sport

The dealer offered Vredestein Quatrac Pro which rating wise are a perfect match.
Vredestein Quatrac Pro
I've read good things about Vredestein tyres but the Quatrac Pro on a comparison test were quite poor.
https://www.tyrerevi...n-Tyre-Test.htm

I'm not really looking for decent snow performance, we hardly ever see much snow. I'm more interested in getting out of muddy fields without making too much of an arse of myself.
2019 R-Line Tech 286 - Silicon Grey. Air Suspension, Rear wheel steering, 21" Suzuka wheels, Climate seats with massage function, Panoramic sunroof, Dynaudio, Head-up display, Factory tow bar, Ambient light pack, Memory pack plus, Drivers Assistance pack plus, IQ LED matrix lights, Laminated safety privacy glass, TPMS, Heated front climate windscreen, Heated rear seats, Keyless entry/keyless start and full electric tailgate operation, 90L fuel tank, Side assist/side scan

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   ColinT 

• LocationScotland
  • Time Online: 10d 10h 52m 40s

Posted 17 February 2021 - 04:00 PM

Not the same car but I dropped a speed rating and saved £20 a corner.

Insurance company confirmed speed rating wasn't a factor they considered.
2015 R Line 262 in Pure White

#3 User is offline   Andrewgrale 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationMunster, Ireland
  • Time Online: 1d 10h 17m 44s

Posted 17 February 2021 - 04:56 PM

View PostColinT, on 17 February 2021 - 04:00 PM, said:

Not the same car but I dropped a speed rating and saved £20 a corner.

Insurance company confirmed speed rating wasn't a factor they considered.

I think that the load rating (extra load) 106 or 108 is of more concern to the insurance companies
06 Touareg commercial auto 2.5 R5 19' Desert alloys and cloth seats

90 Lancia Delta integrale 8v kat

17 Fiat Tipo 1.3 mj Lounge

And several other Italians

#4 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationHarry Hotspur land !
  • Time Online: 171d 17h 19m 29s

Posted 17 February 2021 - 06:25 PM

That’s the problem with late T4’s and some T5’s having 21” wheels, the range of replacement tyres are both limited and expensive, especially when you move from summer to all season tyres.

The OEM load rating for tyres is is based on the carrying capacity of the car and as the Treg has the ability to tow 3500kg loads, I wouldn’t reduce the load rating of the OEM tyres. It’s easy to consider doing so to reduce running costs, however another option would be to purchase a set of 20” wheels and increase the tyre profile to give the same rolling circumference, usually with a softer ride and at a lesser cost.

Tyres are a critical element of running a car as those 4 contact patches are all that keep you on the road. I wouldn’t skimp on tyres on any car, especially a 2.5 tonne SUV. Imagine if you were involved in a fatal RTC and regardless of blame, the investigators found that your car did not have the correct load rating for the weight and use. Personally, I wouldn’t take that chance as I often use my car fully loaded with luggage, roof box and bikes on the towbar carrier when travelling on holidays to France (although that hasn’t happened for a good few months now) :rolleyes:
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#5 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery
  • LocationSouth Staffordshire
  • Time Online: 456d 3h 22m 2s

Posted 17 February 2021 - 06:29 PM

View Postfka, on 17 February 2021 - 03:26 PM, said:

I've been looking at all season or M+S tyres for the 9.5Jx21 ET31 Suzuka wheels on my T5. Factory tyres are 285/40 R21 109Y
There's not a lot of options if you're sticking to the factory size. Bit more availability if you drop the width down to 275 but with either a 40 or 45AR the overall diameter will be slightly off and the loss of width will leave the rims a bit more exposed.

I'd dug up Continental Cross Contact LX Sport but the closest available has an H speed rating.
Have spoken to my local dealer and they stated fitting an H rating wouldn't be a problem warranty wise since most winter tyres are of a lower speed rating anyway.
I'd obviously check but I'm fairly sure my insurance company wouldn't be too bothered either. My days of getting anywhere near close to 130mph are long gone. Regardless it would bother me a little. Also can't find any decent reviews on these either.
Continental Cross Contact LX Sport

The dealer offered Vredestein Quatrac Pro which rating wise are a perfect match.
Vredestein Quatrac Pro
I've read good things about Vredestein tyres but the Quatrac Pro on a comparison test were quite poor.

I'm not really looking for decent snow performance, we hardly ever see much snow. I'm more interested in getting out of muddy fields without making too much of an arse of myself.

It's your call but there's a legal requirement to have tyres speed rated at or above the manufacturer's rated speed, so V-rated or better for Touareg - there is an exception for Winter tyres but not All-Seasons.

I have Vredestein Quatrac Pro as my summer set until I get the wear out of my winter set when I'll use the Quatracs all year round - to be honest I don't know what they're like as I've had not chance to challenge them because of Covid restrictions.
2016 MY Touareg SE 262 - Reef Blue

#6 User is offline   ColinT 

• LocationScotland

Posted 17 February 2021 - 07:02 PM

View PostBlack Grouse, on 17 February 2021 - 06:29 PM, said:

It's your call but there's a legal requirement to have tyres speed rated at or above the manufacturer's rated speed, so V-rated or better for Touareg - there is an exception for Winter tyres but not All-Seasons.

I have Vredestein Quatrac Pro as my summer set until I get the wear out of my winter set when I'll use the Quatracs all year round - to be honest I don't know what they're like as I've had not chance to challenge them because of Covid restrictions.

You are correct regarding load rating but I believe the law on speed rating states that the tyre rating must match or exceed the vehicle's top speed.

If I am correct then a lower speed rating than fitted as standard can be perfectly legal.

#7 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery

Posted 17 February 2021 - 07:34 PM

View PostColinT, on 17 February 2021 - 07:02 PM, said:

You are correct regarding load rating but I believe the law on speed rating states that the tyre rating must match or exceed the vehicle's top speed.

If I am correct then a lower speed rating than fitted as standard can be perfectly legal.

That's correct - so the original "W" rated tyres can be replaced by "V" rated but not "H" rated

#8 User is offline   ColinT 

• LocationScotland

Posted 17 February 2021 - 07:55 PM

View PostBlack Grouse, on 17 February 2021 - 07:34 PM, said:

That's correct - so the original "W" rated tyres can be replaced by "V" rated but not "H" rated

Yep, I have V rated on mine after speaking to my insurer. Seemed a no brainer to save £80.

#9 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 169d 13h 24m 6s

Posted 17 February 2021 - 08:16 PM

Pretty silly really when the maximum legal speed is 70 mph!
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:
http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg and here:
https://www.autoevol...swagen/touareg/

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used Generation 1 VW Touareg [T1 & T2 2002-10] that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:
http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1; 957 = T2; 958.1 = T3; 958.2 = T4; 9YA = T5
Brilliant site with a lot of information and many photos of all the Cayenne models since launch! https://www.stuttcar...ls/cayenne/958/

#10 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery

Posted 17 February 2021 - 08:49 PM

View PostNoobyT, on 17 February 2021 - 08:16 PM, said:

Pretty silly really when the maximum legal speed is 70 mph!

Not really - it's easy enough to be on unrestricted Autobahn in a few hours.

#11 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 169d 13h 24m 6s

Posted 17 February 2021 - 09:03 PM

View PostBlack Grouse, on 17 February 2021 - 08:49 PM, said:

Not really - it's easy enough to be on unrestricted Autobahn in a few hours.

Who wants to go to Germany?

Except to visit Berlin.

At night.

At 20,000 feet?
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:
http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg and here:
https://www.autoevol...swagen/touareg/

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used Generation 1 VW Touareg [T1 & T2 2002-10] that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:
http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1; 957 = T2; 958.1 = T3; 958.2 = T4; 9YA = T5
Brilliant site with a lot of information and many photos of all the Cayenne models since launch! https://www.stuttcar...ls/cayenne/958/

#12 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 17 February 2021 - 09:30 PM

Also pretty silly that it's acceptable for winter tyres but not summer/ all season.

MOT guidelines state they only need to be rated up to 70mph for a class 5 vehicle. There's nothing for class 4 vehicles stated
Attached File  Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 21.24.24.png (280.01K)
Number of downloads: 5

In reply to Cass - I'm not considering scrimping on tyres, never have. I'm resigned to the fact replacements for the 21" are going to be at least £250 a corner, if not more.
I have looked at dropping to 19" wheels. I don't like any of the 20" but very much liked the 19" Tirano wheels that came on the SEL Tech I had on loan.
Attached File  Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 21.01.07.png (314.45K)
Number of downloads: 3
There's heaps of options for tyres and they're all in the region of £150 a corner. Rolling diameter is slightly greater than the 21" tyre. The rim width and offset on the 19" are less so the stance is slightly reduced. But they'd have the bonus of improving comfort and be more pothole resistant.
Used, my Suzuka are fetching around £2500 a set. The 19" Tirano about £1500 a set. So it's certainly an option. However, I like the look of the car now.. More importantly so does the Mrs and she doesn't want to swap them!

Black Grouse - Please do let me know how you get on with the Vredestein Quatrac Pro! The F1 Eagles I have on now will easily see me through to next Autumn so I'm in no rush. I'm just kicking tyres :D
2019 R-Line Tech 286 - Silicon Grey. Air Suspension, Rear wheel steering, 21" Suzuka wheels, Climate seats with massage function, Panoramic sunroof, Dynaudio, Head-up display, Factory tow bar, Ambient light pack, Memory pack plus, Drivers Assistance pack plus, IQ LED matrix lights, Laminated safety privacy glass, TPMS, Heated front climate windscreen, Heated rear seats, Keyless entry/keyless start and full electric tailgate operation, 90L fuel tank, Side assist/side scan

#13 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 17 February 2021 - 09:35 PM

View PostNoobyT, on 17 February 2021 - 09:03 PM, said:

Who wants to go to Germany?

Except to visit Berlin.

At night.

At 20,000 feet?

I visited Berlin at night. Could have sworn I was at 20,000 feet but it must have been something I'd taken!

#14 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery

Posted 17 February 2021 - 10:08 PM

View Postfka, on 17 February 2021 - 09:30 PM, said:

Also pretty silly that it's acceptable for winter tyres but not summer/ all season.

MOT guidelines state they only need to be rated up to 70mph for a class 5 vehicle. There's nothing for class 4 vehicles stated
Attachment Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 21.24.24.png

Black Grouse - Please do let me know how you get on with the Vredestein Quatrac Pro! The F1 Eagles I have on now will easily see me through to next Autumn so I'm in no rush. I'm just kicking tyres :D

It's Construction & Use Regulations which require tyres rated for design speed.

Like everyone, I'm desperate to get out there and use the car - the Vredesteins will have to shine as 4Motion gives impressive grip on wet campsites, even with worn summer tyres on.

#15 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 17 February 2021 - 10:56 PM

We've booked sites in April, May, July and August. I think April we'll be lucky but I'm feeling positive about May.
I signed our company up for the DHSC rapid test and trace (lateral flow tests) in the workplace pilot scheme last month. Scheme is now live and well publicised. Regular mass testing has to be one way out of lockdown. Seems the government are embracing it. I digress ..

I'm drawing a bit of a blank with the The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986.
This, like the MOT regs, does not cover private passenger vehicles but does state 70mph for goods/passenger/commercial vehicles. I've looked through the amendments too and can't find anything. I'm not being an arse, I'd just like to see it stated on an official document.

Attached File  Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 22.45.52.png (275K)
Number of downloads: 4

#16 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 17 February 2021 - 11:00 PM

View PostBlack Grouse, on 17 February 2021 - 10:08 PM, said:

4Motion gives impressive grip on wet campsites, even with worn summer tyres on.

This is very good to hear.
I ran CrossClimate+ on my last car and swore by them. If I get through this summer, the summers get me out of the sh1t and the Vredesteins turn out to be awful, I may change my mind altogether about all seasons

#17 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery

Posted 18 February 2021 - 08:22 AM

View Postfka, on 17 February 2021 - 10:56 PM, said:

We've booked sites in April, May, July and August. I think April we'll be lucky but I'm feeling positive about May.
I signed our company up for the DHSC rapid test and trace (lateral flow tests) in the workplace pilot scheme last month. Scheme is now live and well publicised. Regular mass testing has to be one way out of lockdown. Seems the government are embracing it. I digress ..

I'm drawing a bit of a blank with the The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986.
This, like the MOT regs, does not cover private passenger vehicles but does state 70mph for goods/passenger/commercial vehicles. I've looked through the amendments too and can't find anything. I'm not being an arse, I'd just like to see it stated on an official document.

Attachment Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 22.45.52.png

My mistake, it's not C&U it's The Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001, Schedule 3 (Item 16, Requirement 7)
https://www.legislat...schedule/3/made

"The speed capability of all tyres fitted shall be not less than the maximum design speed of the vehicle"

We've booked all our sites and hotels for this year but have already cancelled our winter trip to Scotland and I expect to have to cancel our April trip _ we'll be very disappointed if we have to cancel our May/June trip to the Highlands - none of our bookings have deposits so no money to lose if we can't go.

#18 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 18 February 2021 - 04:09 PM

Brilliant - thanks for find it. That's the Cross Contact LX Sports out of the picture then!

All bar one of our's are CLs so no deposit paid. One is a none club site we'd booked in Lossiemouth for April 2020 that we obviously didn't make it to. We took credit from them and have booked their sister site in Cornwall for May this year. Not really my cup of tea but a site I'm sure the kids will love..

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chris Knott Insurance - Forum Sponsor

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.