• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

T5 First Tow

#1 User is offline   fka 

• Group: Full Member
  • LocationLondon
  • Time Online: 2d 23h 20m 56s

Posted 29 January 2021 - 03:02 PM

First time towing today, taking the van for it's service.
Only a 50 mile trip but a mix of twisty A roads and fast dual carriageway.

Frankly blown away. Extremely stable and effortless. Everything I'd hoped for!
Only issue I had was getting my milenco grand aero mirrors setup properly. Was on my own so didn't have the Mrs to help adjust the nearside. Got the offside one OK-ish.
Fairly sure I'd be legal without them although they did fill a few blind spots..

[attachment=35312:2021-01-29 12.33.00.jpg]

[attachment=35310:2021-01-29 12.31.56.jpg]
2019 R-Line Tech 286 - Silicon Grey. Air Suspension, Rear wheel steering, 21" Suzuka wheels, Climate seats with massage function, Panoramic sunroof, Dynaudio, Head-up display, Factory tow bar, Ambient light pack, Memory pack plus, Drivers Assistance pack plus, IQ LED matrix lights, Laminated safety privacy glass, TPMS, Heated front climate windscreen, Heated rear seats, Keyless entry/keyless start and full electric tailgate operation, 90L fuel tank, Side assist/side scan

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   Klewy 

• View gallery
  • LocationCheshire
  • Time Online: 5d 6h 21m 30s

Posted 29 January 2021 - 05:14 PM

View Postfka, on 29 January 2021 - 03:02 PM, said:

First time towing today, taking the van for it's service.
Only a 50 mile trip but a mix of twisty A roads and fast dual carriageway.

Frankly blown away. Extremely stable and effortless. Everything I'd hoped for!
Only issue I had was getting my milenco grand aero mirrors setup properly. Was on my own so didn't have the Mrs to help adjust the nearside. Got the offside one OK-ish.
Fairly sure I'd be legal without them although they did fill a few blind spots..

Attachment 2021-01-29 12.33.00.jpg

Attachment 2021-01-29 12.31.56.jpg

Looks ok, would look a lot better if the caravan had a grey stripe instead of a green one
2015 R-Line 262PS in White

Cheshire

#3 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 29 January 2021 - 05:28 PM

Wholeheartedly agree. It's not a good match
We're keeping this until the dealer warranty is up. I'm eying up and Adria Adora Sava but in two minds about going to an 8 footer.
I'm also not that worried about how fancy it looks as a rig :lol:
2019 R-Line Tech 286 - Silicon Grey. Air Suspension, Rear wheel steering, 21" Suzuka wheels, Climate seats with massage function, Panoramic sunroof, Dynaudio, Head-up display, Factory tow bar, Ambient light pack, Memory pack plus, Drivers Assistance pack plus, IQ LED matrix lights, Laminated safety privacy glass, TPMS, Heated front climate windscreen, Heated rear seats, Keyless entry/keyless start and full electric tailgate operation, 90L fuel tank, Side assist/side scan

#4 User is offline   Klewy 

• View gallery
  • LocationCheshire

Posted 29 January 2021 - 05:32 PM

View Postfka, on 29 January 2021 - 05:28 PM, said:

Wholeheartedly agree. It's not a good match
We're keeping this until the dealer warranty is up. I'm eying up and Adria Adora Sava but in two minds about going to an 8 footer.
I'm also not that worried about how fancy it looks as a rig :lol:

I’m not sure about 8 footers myself. With the awning up my van only just fits your average pitch now, think the wider vans would end up with the awning well over the edge of a standard pitch

Cheshire

#5 User is offline   johnb80 

• LocationGainsborough, Lincolnshire
  • Time Online: 28d 10h 49m 29s

Posted 29 January 2021 - 05:32 PM

View Postfka, on 29 January 2021 - 03:02 PM, said:

I dont think you'd be legal with or without them, mirrors make no difference to unnecessary journeys.
Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 now gone and replaced with the opposite end of the pollution scale, BMW i3 electric car, one word, love it. Previous cars 4.4TDV8 Range Rover, 2006 Touareg 3.0 TDi (Superb Car), Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI (Also Great Car).
If youre old fashioned and still burning fossil fuels, MORRISONS fuel which is the best choice for all Touaregs.
P.S. Watch the mods here, they do dark and devious things when youre not looking LOL

#6 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 29 January 2021 - 06:58 PM

View Postjohnb80, on 29 January 2021 - 05:32 PM, said:

I dont think you'd be legal with or without them, mirrors make no difference to unnecessary journeys.

Really! :lol:
I think I'm legally allowed to take my van for a service. Much like I'd legally be allowed to take my car for a service.

#7 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:00 PM

View PostKlewy, on 29 January 2021 - 05:32 PM, said:

I’m not sure about 8 footers myself. With the awning up my van only just fits your average pitch now, think the wider vans would end up with the awning well over the edge of a standard pitch

What depth is your awning?
We have a Dorema Daytona Air with this van so it's only a 240..

I'm more concerned about access to sites.
My sister pranged her Knaus on a hedge on the run-in to a site we have a regular family gathering at

#8 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:08 PM

View Postfka, on 29 January 2021 - 06:58 PM, said:

Really! :lol:
I think I'm legally allowed to take my van for a service. Much like I'd legally be allowed to take my car for a service.

From .gov on travel restrictions. See highlighted

Travel

You must not leave your home unless you have a reasonable excuse (for example, for work or education purposes).

If you need to travel you should stay local. This means you should avoid travelling outside of your village, town or the part of a city where you live. You should reduce the number of journeys you make overall.

The list of reasons you can leave your home and local area include, but are not limited to:

work, where you cannot reasonably work from home
accessing education and for caring responsibilities
visiting those in your support bubble – or your childcare bubble for childcare
visiting hospital, GP and other medical appointments or visits where you have had an accident or are concerned about your health
buying goods or services that you need, but this should be within your local area wherever possible
outdoor exercise. This should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel a short distance within your area to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)
attending the care and exercise of an animal, or veterinary services

#9 User is offline   Klewy 

• View gallery
  • LocationCheshire

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:15 PM

View Postfka, on 29 January 2021 - 07:00 PM, said:

What depth is your awning?
We have a Dorema Daytona Air with this van so it's only a 240..

I'm more concerned about access to sites.
My sister pranged her Knaus on a hedge on the run-in to a site we have a regular family gathering at

Can’t remember the depths if I’m honest. I’ve got a bradcot classic and a kampa rally pro air awning. Both are tight on the pitch

Cheshire

#10 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:29 PM

The extra width inside is very appealing. The aforementioned Knaus Lifestyle my sis has, is not my cup of tea layout wise - but the 'L' seating at the front and the huge double it turns into is lovely!

#11 User is offline   johnb80 

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:30 PM

View Postfka, on 29 January 2021 - 07:08 PM, said:

From .gov on travel restrictions. See highlighted

Travel

You must not leave your home unless you have a reasonable excuse (for example, for work or education purposes).

If you need to travel you should stay local. This means you should avoid travelling outside of your village, town or the part of a city where you live. You should reduce the number of journeys you make overall.

The list of reasons you can leave your home and local area include, but are not limited to:

work, where you cannot reasonably work from home
accessing education and for caring responsibilities
visiting those in your support bubble – or your childcare bubble for childcare
visiting hospital, GP and other medical appointments or visits where you have had an accident or are concerned about your health
buying goods or services that you need, but this should be within your local area wherever possible
outdoor exercise. This should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel a short distance within your area to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)
attending the care and exercise of an animal, or veterinary services

Also from the government website:-

Leaving home
You must not leave, or be outside of your home except where necessary.

You may leave the home to:

shop for basic necessities, for you or a vulnerable person
go to work, or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home
exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person (in which case you should stay 2m apart). Exercise should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.
meet your support bubble or childcare bubble where necessary, but only if you are legally permitted to form one
seek medical assistance or avoid injury, illness or risk of harm (including domestic abuse)
attend education or childcare - for those eligible
If you do leave home for a permitted reason, you should always stay in your local area - unless it is necessary to go further, for example to go to work.

Staying in your local area means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live.

I hardly think having a caravan serviced qualifies as necessary journey, Caravan club say it isnt a good reason, many workshops have closed during lockdown and it's not as if it's a safety reason i.e. you cant use it at the moment anyway.
Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 now gone and replaced with the opposite end of the pollution scale, BMW i3 electric car, one word, love it. Previous cars 4.4TDV8 Range Rover, 2006 Touareg 3.0 TDi (Superb Car), Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI (Also Great Car).
If youre old fashioned and still burning fossil fuels, MORRISONS fuel which is the best choice for all Touaregs.
P.S. Watch the mods here, they do dark and devious things when youre not looking LOL

#12 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 169d 18h 15m 25s

Posted 29 January 2021 - 08:31 PM

It would be handy for isolating individuals though.
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:
http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg and here:
https://www.autoevol...swagen/touareg/

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used Generation 1 VW Touareg [T1 & T2 2002-10] that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:
http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1; 957 = T2; 958.1 = T3; 958.2 = T4; 9YA = T5
Brilliant site with a lot of information and many photos of all the Cayenne models since launch! https://www.stuttcar...ls/cayenne/958/

#13 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 29 January 2021 - 08:34 PM

The service departments of caravan dealers are allowed to remain open.
Below You must not leave, or be outside of your home except where necessary.
is what's known as a caveat and that caveat states - The list of reasons you can leave your home and local area include, but are not limited to: buying goods or services that you need, but this should be within your local area wherever possible

I have absolutely no interest in further discussing your interpretation of the lockdown rules.
Many thanks for your input. Please enjoy the rest of your evening.

#14 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 29 January 2021 - 08:37 PM

View PostNoobyT, on 29 January 2021 - 08:31 PM, said:

It would be handy for isolating individuals though.

hermetically sealed caravans

#15 User is offline   johnb80 

Posted 29 January 2021 - 09:09 PM

View Postfka, on 29 January 2021 - 08:34 PM, said:

I have absolutely no interest in further discussing your interpretation of the lockdown rules.
Many thanks for your input. Please enjoy the rest of your evening.

Exactly this sort of mentality that puts us into lockdown.......

Enjoy your evening too

#16 User is offline   fka 

• LocationLondon

Posted 29 January 2021 - 09:31 PM

I travel alone without stopping to a caravan dealer that has set up a zero contact covid safe handover process. I get back in my car and drive home, again without stopping. (Apart from a short diversion to Barnard Castle to check my eyesight)
The timing of the service being necessary to maintain my warranty and to have work carried out under warranty.

As an essential worker, I have no choice but to get on a commuter train with several hundred other people for 45 minutes, twice a day.
Then work in an office with 40+ other people for 8 hours.

All of the above done as safely as possible by mitigating risk and people acting sensibly and considerately. But if your judgmental attitude gets you through the day, who am I to argue :)

#17 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationHarry Hotspur land !
  • Time Online: 171d 18h 28s

Posted 29 January 2021 - 11:48 PM

I will lock this thread but leave it on the forum.

There is no doubt that the Treg is a very competent towcar and in the current climate the rules on essential journeys during lockdown are quite clear.
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.