Trickle charge Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ed Taylor 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Member
  • LocationWest Midlands
  • Time Online: 20h 44m 36s

Posted 12 January 2021 - 06:58 AM

Just out of curiosity how many members are leaving their Touareg on trickle charge during this lockdown?.
Tourareg 262 R line plus.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery
  • LocationSouth Staffordshire
  • Time Online: 449d 17h 14m 53s

Posted 12 January 2021 - 08:23 AM

View PostEd Taylor, on 12 January 2021 - 06:58 AM, said:

Just out of curiosity how many members are leaving their Touareg on trickle charge during this lockdown?.

I put my CTEK on for a full cycle once a month at the moment - from previous experience it'll go a couple of months unused so a monthly recharge seems to eliminate all the issues.
2016 MY Touareg SE 262 - Reef Blue

#3 User is offline   Ed Taylor 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 12 January 2021 - 08:37 AM

I bought a CTEK charger just before christmas on recomendations here. I will give it a go as soon as it stops raining then.

#4 User is offline   ColinT 

• LocationScotland
  • Time Online: 8d 16h 20m 50s

Posted 12 January 2021 - 09:14 AM

Put my ctek on about once a month. I use the AGM setting.
2015 R Line 262 in Pure White

#5 User is offline   johnb80 

• LocationGainsborough, Lincolnshire
  • Time Online: 28d 2m 2s

Posted 12 January 2021 - 11:13 AM

When I worked offshore if my Touareg was at home I used to leave it permanently connected to a CTEK charger which kept the battery 100%. Longest trip was 15 weeks in this state.
Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 now gone and replaced with the opposite end of the pollution scale, BMW i3 electric car, one word, love it. Previous cars 4.4TDV8 Range Rover, 2006 Touareg 3.0 TDi (Superb Car), Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI (Also Great Car).
If youre old fashioned and still burning fossil fuels, MORRISONS fuel which is the best choice for all Touaregs.
P.S. Watch the mods here, they do dark and devious things when youre not looking LOL

#6 User is offline   Sarakina 

• View gallery
  • LocationKent UK
  • Time Online: 8d 12h 48m 14s

Posted 12 January 2021 - 02:41 PM

Both my cars are on CTEKs currently. One for virtually all of last year. Lockdowns initially, then i finally got abroad, returning to the UK to 14 days quarantine then Tier4 almost immediately, now lockdown again šŸ˜©

Touareg not going anywhere soon either now so back on the other CTEK šŸ˜
2005 T1 2.5 SE Sport: with a growing number of new bits.

#7 User is offline   technodevotee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationEngland
  • Time Online: 2d 17h 58m 3s

Posted 12 January 2021 - 02:50 PM

I connect my smart charger and leave it on for a few days every couple of weeks at the moment.

Because I'm only going to the shops once a week the treg seems to flatten the battery quite quickly.

My previous Tiguan was exactly same.
2020 MY Touareg R Line Tech 286 in Moonlight Blue

#8 User is offline   Klewy 

• View gallery
  • LocationCheshire
  • Time Online: 5d 1h 46m 54s

Posted 12 January 2021 - 03:30 PM

View PostEd Taylor, on 12 January 2021 - 08:37 AM, said:

I bought a CTEK charger just before christmas on recomendations here. I will give it a go as soon as it stops raining then.

Have you fitted the convenience plug under your bonnet? Makes life far easier than messing about with cricket clips
2015 R-Line 262PS in White

Cheshire

#9 User is offline   Lord Flasheart 

• Group: Club Member
  • Time Online: 14d 9h 48m 7s

Posted 12 January 2021 - 04:40 PM

Not Der Panzer as its in daily use but my Capri has been hooked up to the CTEK for about the last 4 weeks in the garage, shite weather so will stay there till we get a a couple of dry salt free days.

Spare battery on the back of the bench been hooked up to to a CTEK for 18 months or more, Bike plugged into an Optimate, not been pout of the garage since the end of November

#10 User is offline   Ed Taylor 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 15 January 2021 - 12:01 PM

Mine is on charge just now. When I connected the CTEK it showed the battery at its lowest level on the charge scale. Be interesting to see how long till it says full.

#11 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationHarry Hotspur land !
  • Time Online: 170d 18h 22m 12s

Posted 15 January 2021 - 12:15 PM

View PostEd Taylor, on 15 January 2021 - 12:01 PM, said:

Mine is on charge just now. When I connected the CTEK it showed the battery at its lowest level on the charge scale. Be interesting to see how long till it says full.

The process always starts at the low end of the sequence but if the battery is discharged it will simply work through the various stages and it might take a good few hours or even a couple of days to settle at the float maintenance charge.

Iā€™m putting my car on the CTEK today as it has been standing unused for a few weeks now ;)
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#12 User is offline   johnb80 

Posted 15 January 2021 - 01:17 PM

View PostEd Taylor, on 15 January 2021 - 12:01 PM, said:

Yep, they always start like that, if trhe battery is fully charged it will rapidly click through the levels.
Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 now gone and replaced with the opposite end of the pollution scale, BMW i3 electric car, one word, love it. Previous cars 4.4TDV8 Range Rover, 2006 Touareg 3.0 TDi (Superb Car), Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI (Also Great Car).
If youre old fashioned and still burning fossil fuels, MORRISONS fuel which is the best choice for all Touaregs.
P.S. Watch the mods here, they do dark and devious things when youre not looking LOL

#13 User is offline   Ed Taylor 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 15 January 2021 - 01:19 PM

Mine now after about 1.5 to 2 hours and the charge scale is now on 3/4 full. On that basis it hopefully wont be too long till it says full.
Should I leave it on charge still as the battery is full. I appreciate that leaving it on charge will keep it topped up. But I might be using the car tomorrow.

#14 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery
  • LocationSouth Staffordshire
  • Time Online: 449d 17h 14m 53s

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:54 PM

View PostEd Taylor, on 15 January 2021 - 01:19 PM, said:

Mine now after about 1.5 to 2 hours and the charge scale is now on 3/4 full. On that basis it hopefully wont be too long till it says full.
Should I leave it on charge still as the battery is full. I appreciate that leaving it on charge will keep it topped up. But I might be using the car tomorrow.

Leave it on charge until you need to use the car. Smart chargers will switch to a maintenance phase when fully charged which can be left connected indefinitely.
2016 MY Touareg SE 262 - Reef Blue

#15 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 166d 3h 11m 44s

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:21 PM

I'm still doing 1,000+ miles a month!
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:
http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg and here:
https://www.autoevol...swagen/touareg/

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used Generation 1 VW Touareg [T1 & T2 2002-10] that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:
http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1; 957 = T2; 958.1 = T3; 958.2 = T4; 9YA = T5
Brilliant site with a lot of information and many photos of all the Cayenne models since launch! https://www.stuttcar...ls/cayenne/958/

#16 User is offline   Ed Taylor 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:31 PM

Is the bonnet alarmed?.
Reason I ask. The red LED is flashing on the drivers door. But when I lift the "semi locked" bonnet the alarm doesn't go off.
I think I semi closed the bonnet. Then locked the car LED flashing. Maybe that's why no alarm when I lift the bonnet. Something for me to try later...

#17 User is offline   johnb80 

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:27 PM

View PostEd Taylor, on 15 January 2021 - 03:31 PM, said:

Is the bonnet alarmed?.
Reason I ask. The red LED is flashing on the drivers door. But when I lift the "semi locked" bonnet the alarm doesn't go off.
I think I semi closed the bonnet. Then locked the car LED flashing. Maybe that's why no alarm when I lift the bonnet. Something for me to try later...

I used to put the extension lead under the bonnet, CTEK under there too and close the bonnet fully.

#18 User is offline   Sarakina 

• View gallery
  • LocationKent UK
  • Time Online: 8d 12h 48m 14s

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:36 PM

View PostEd Taylor, on 15 January 2021 - 03:31 PM, said:

Is the bonnet alarmed?.

If you want to keep all the electrics indoors, house or garage, (which i find preferable) CTEK have simple extension leads to reach in/out to the bonnet from such places. Plug one or two in line, job done :)
2005 T1 2.5 SE Sport: with a growing number of new bits.

#19 User is offline   Ed Taylor 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:55 PM

Cheers for that Sarakina. I will look into that. I presume their website has these extention leads. I like the idea..

#20 User is offline   ColinT 

• LocationScotland
  • Time Online: 8d 16h 20m 50s

Posted 15 January 2021 - 07:09 PM

I use the extension lead for my caravan, don't need it on the Treg.

I place the ctek on top of the front passenger side wheel, standard lead goes over the top of the headlight, through the slight gap between the headlight and grille and onto the terminals.

Bonnet shuts fully.
2015 R Line 262 in Pure White

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chris Knott Insurance - Forum Sponsor

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.