• You cannot reply to this topic

2013 3.0 V6 TDI overheating issue!! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Group: Full Member
  • Time Online: 174d 26m 10s

Posted 19 December 2020 - 03:35 PM

Your car boils when climbing hills?
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:
http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg and here:
https://www.autoevol...swagen/touareg/

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used Generation 1 VW Touareg [T1 & T2 2002-10] that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:
http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1; 957 = T2; 958.1 = T3; 958.2 = T4; 9YA = T5
Brilliant site with a lot of information and many photos of all the Cayenne models since launch! https://www.stuttcar...ls/cayenne/958/

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   johnb80 

• LocationGainsborough, Lincolnshire
  • Time Online: 29d 6h 35m 57s

Posted 19 December 2020 - 08:24 PM

RPM-Dan, on 19 December 2020 - 09:01 AM, said:

Hi All,

New here, from Cornwall, England. I work all over the uk using the Treg as a work vehicle, mainly motorway driving but also lots of of road trails and tracks. I have a 2013 3.0 V6 TDI Altitude and love the car... but have recently had an overheating problem no local garage can seem to solve.

Look forward to being able to post here regarding this issue and become a part of this community.

Cheers
Dan

what are the circumstances when it overheats and does it actually overheat or just report that it has?
Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 now gone and replaced with the opposite end of the pollution scale, BMW i3 electric car, one word, love it. Previous cars 4.4TDV8 Range Rover, 2006 Touareg 3.0 TDi (Superb Car), Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI (Also Great Car).
If youre old fashioned and still burning fossil fuels, MORRISONS fuel which is the best choice for all Touaregs.
P.S. Watch the mods here, they do dark and devious things when youre not looking LOL

#3 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 174d 26m 10s

Posted 19 December 2020 - 10:36 PM

Here is his problem as posted on CT:

https://www.clubtoua...9/#post-2104401
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:
http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg and here:
https://www.autoevol...swagen/touareg/

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used Generation 1 VW Touareg [T1 & T2 2002-10] that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:
http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1; 957 = T2; 958.1 = T3; 958.2 = T4; 9YA = T5
Brilliant site with a lot of information and many photos of all the Cayenne models since launch! https://www.stuttcar...ls/cayenne/958/

#4 User is offline   johnb80 

Posted 20 December 2020 - 12:14 PM

I wonder why theres only half the story on here........

Looking at the greater detail, I would suggest radiator and/or cooling fans. It seems as it's triggered from long uphill climbs theres insufficient cooling for whatever reason. Its possible to be a head / head gasket problem but that would usually show itself all of the time.
Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 now gone and replaced with the opposite end of the pollution scale, BMW i3 electric car, one word, love it. Previous cars 4.4TDV8 Range Rover, 2006 Touareg 3.0 TDi (Superb Car), Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI (Also Great Car).
If youre old fashioned and still burning fossil fuels, MORRISONS fuel which is the best choice for all Touaregs.
P.S. Watch the mods here, they do dark and devious things when youre not looking LOL

#5 User is offline   RPM-Dan 

• Pip
  • LocationCornwall
  • Time Online: 3h 47m 5s

Posted 20 December 2020 - 06:44 PM

johnb80, on 20 December 2020 - 12:14 PM, said:

I wonder why theres only half the story on here........

Looking at the greater detail, I would suggest radiator and/or cooling fans. It seems as it's triggered from long uphill climbs theres insufficient cooling for whatever reason. Its possible to be a head / head gasket problem but that would usually show itself all of the time.

Hiya, as I replied to the user above, was only putting an intro in this new members area, planned on putting the full post up in the engines section after gaining approval from a mod. I recall the cooling fans coming on and were on during the first overheat. I’m sure I recall the first garage mentioning they checked the fans using a computer and activated them. As someone has suggested on the other site, I will take a look myself visually at the radiator tomorrow. Many thanks

#6 User is offline   RPM-Dan 

• Pip
  • LocationCornwall
  • Time Online: 3h 47m 5s

Posted 20 December 2020 - 06:46 PM

Hi All,

My first post here, but with a problem no local garage can seem to diagnose. My treg overheated when travelling at speed up a long hill. It presssurised the header tank and blew out approx 1 litre of water, at the time also only blowing cold air from the heaters into the car.

The garage had the car for a few days, couldn't find an issue, test drove it checking with diagnostics, everything worked as and when it should. No overheat!

I took the car, did 400-500 miles of all sorts of driving, then it overheated again on a large hill, exactly the same again, "coolant level" alarm and temp gradually rising above 90, this could be controlled by easing right off until we were able to pull in safely.

Car back to garage and this time had a water pump swapped..... i took the vehicle to a local stretch of fast road with some big hills and repeatedly drove this as speed..... after maybe 45mins on one of the large hills, the same thing... engine temp starts creeping above 90 and the heaters start blowing cold.

Back to the garage and thermostat changed this time, the garage tested it in the way i did and informed me its still overheating after a good long hill at speed.... i've driven it around a bit locally and slowly since with no issues. It holds coolant and never drops any unless overheating and blowing out the release on the header tank. The garage say only option now is headgaskets??

Another garage have looked and done a test on the coolant which show no evidence of headgasket issues (i'm not sure what test this is called) i have no oil in coolant / coolant in oil and the car runs perfectly, no smoke, smooth running, tickover and pulls like a train...

The second garage also pulled a code which i've posted a pic of below.

Could anyone offer any advice or tips, before having to look down the very expensive headgaskets route.

Many thanks - Dan

#7 User is offline   johnb80 

Posted 21 December 2020 - 05:03 AM

It sounds suspiciously like a blocked rad / collapsed matrix. I had a similar issue with an Audi Allroad when towing my caravan up a long hill. The issue was both blocked rad AND a cooling fan not running at full speed. The solution a replacement fan (used) from eBay and flush the rad with caustic soda, the amount of crap that came out had to be seen to be believed.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chris Knott Insurance - Forum Sponsor

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.