Headlight - what is this lamp for? 7P Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Magnus_V8TDI 

• Pip
  • Group: Full Member
  • LocationSweden
  • Time Online: 6h 3m 18s

Posted 13 October 2020 - 09:34 PM

Hi!

Does any of you know what this little lamp is for and how to turn it on?
See red mark at attached file

Attached File(s)

VW Touareg V8TDI -15, black pearleffect, R-line, Chrome-package, Dynaudio, ambient-light, RNS850, 360-camera, panaramic sunroof, 21" mallory, fourzone clima, adaptive cruise control, pianoblack steeringwheel and trim, etc....

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery
  • LocationSouth Staffordshire
  • Time Online: 428d 4h 54m 53s

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:36 AM

It's the Daytime Running Light (DRL) - normally on all the time the engine is running but maybe Sweden requires dipped headlamps rather than DRLs.
2016 MY Touareg SE 262 - Reef Blue

#3 User is offline   Magnus_V8TDI 

• Pip
  • LocationSweden

Posted 15 October 2020 - 08:03 PM

Thank you for your answer.

On my car I think the led-strip works like a DRL. These are On if the lightswitch is in 0-position or in park. In the Auto-position the led-strip is on in daylight and dims at dusk when dipped headlight turns on automaticly.

I can not find any button to turn on the inner small lights.

Attached File(s)

VW Touareg V8TDI -15, black pearleffect, R-line, Chrome-package, Dynaudio, ambient-light, RNS850, 360-camera, panaramic sunroof, 21" mallory, fourzone clima, adaptive cruise control, pianoblack steeringwheel and trim, etc....

#4 User is offline   Klewy 

• View gallery
  • LocationCheshire
  • Time Online: 4d 8h 30m 27s

Posted 15 October 2020 - 09:35 PM

Could it be a parking light? Think they’re activated by leaving the indicator stalk in the left or right position when leaving the car. Details should be in your user manual about how to turn parking lights on
2015 R-Line 262PS in White

Cheshire

#5 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 160d 18h 21m 22s

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:28 AM

Let us know when you've worked it out!
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:

http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used VW Touareg that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:

http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1, 957 = T2, 958.1 = T3 and 958.2 = T4

#6 User is offline   Magnus_V8TDI 

• Pip
  • LocationSweden

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:51 PM

Klewy: You're absolutely right, these little halogen lights comes on when the ignition is off and the indicator stalk is in the right or left position. The right or left light comes on depending on the indicator stalk position. It does not seem possible to make both lamps shine at the same time.
I find it odd that VW inserts separate lamps for this function and not just use the normal LED strip...

#7 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationHarry Hotspur land !
  • Time Online: 169d 12m 59s

Posted 16 October 2020 - 11:43 PM

View PostMagnus_V8TDI, on 16 October 2020 - 08:51 PM, said:

Klewy: You're absolutely right, these little halogen lights comes on when the ignition is off and the indicator stalk is in the right or left position. The right or left light comes on depending on the indicator stalk position. It does not seem possible to make both lamps shine at the same time.
I find it odd that VW inserts separate lamps for this function and not just use the normal LED strip...

Your rear lights should come on as well when you use parking lights ;)

DRL are an EU directive (resulting from Sweden first pioneering their use about 40 years ago) and are separate from parking lights, that’s why you have both :)
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#8 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:09 AM

And at least the Swedes had the good sense to make the rear lights come on with the front, 25 watt DRLs.

The rear lights are just as important as the front lights.

So many idiots are now driving in pouring rain thinkibg "ooh I've got my lights on so I'm alright" without thinking how effing stupid they are that their car may not be seen from the rear.

There ae lots of other instances where the rear light are important in daylight situation and I'm astonished how cretinous many cyclists are in not having lights on their bikes at all times, especially those who wear dark clothing.
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used VW Touareg that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:

#9 User is offline   Klewy 

• View gallery
  • LocationCheshire

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:29 AM

View PostMagnus_V8TDI, on 16 October 2020 - 08:51 PM, said:

Not sure if they also come on with just sidelights selected at the light switch

Cheshire

#10 User is offline   chaser 

• Mechanical Guru
  • Time Online: 95d 3h 56m 30s

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:59 AM

View PostNoobyT, on 17 October 2020 - 07:09 AM, said:

And at least the Swedes had the good sense to make the rear lights come on with the front, 25 watt DRLs.

The rear lights are just as important as the front lights.

So many idiots are now driving in pouring rain thinkibg "ooh I've got my lights on so I'm alright" without thinking how effing stupid they are that their car may not be seen from the rear.

There ae lots of other instances where the rear light are important in daylight situation and I'm astonished how cretinous many cyclists are in not having lights on their bikes at all times, especially those who wear dark clothing.
I have rear DRLs selected using VCDS. Also added DRL on/off to the setup menu in the central display.
Chaser...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current... Touareg R-Line Plus 3.0 V6 TDI 262PS 8-Speed Auto Tiptronic (from new). Area View, Canyon Grey Metallic, 21" Mallory Alloys, Dynamic CDC Air Suspension, Piano black decorative inlays with retrofit black surrounds on dashboard. 4way Electric R-Line Branded Two Tone Sports Seats in Nappa Leather, Memory Pack, Factory Tow Pack, Ambient Light Pack etc, etc,

Previous... Pure White 2014 Touareg V6
R-Line 3.0Tdi 245ps 8-speed Auto Tiptronic (from new). Factory swivelling tow pack. Fully wired 13pin electrics. 9x20" Pikes Peak alloys. Piano black decorative inlays. Interior ambient light pack. Reversing camera.

Before that... Salt Lake Grey 2006 Touareg 2.5 Tdi SE Sport Auto (from 26k miles)

#11 User is offline   Klewy 

• View gallery
  • LocationCheshire

Posted 17 October 2020 - 01:13 PM

View Postchaser, on 17 October 2020 - 08:59 AM, said:

I have rear DRLs selected using VCDS. Also added DRL on/off to the setup menu in the central display.

How?

Cheshire

#12 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman

Posted 17 October 2020 - 02:47 PM

View Postchaser, on 17 October 2020 - 08:59 AM, said:

Very sensible.

I followed a large dark shape down the A34 one pitch dark night. It turned out to be a brand new 6 wheeled coach on trade plates. The front DRLs were so bright the delivery could see where he was going just fine.

I pulled in front and turned my lights off and on a couple of times at which point he twigged and turned the coach's proper head and side lights on!

#13 User is offline   benfica 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationGloucester
  • Time Online: 2d 6h 1m 24s

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:23 PM

VW have used parking lights operated by the indicator stalk for the last 50 years.
2007/08 Altitude 3.0l v6 75k. Towing Lunar Clubman SB

#14 User is offline   chaser 

• Mechanical Guru

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:32 PM

View PostKlewy, on 17 October 2020 - 01:13 PM, said:

How?

View Postchaser, on 20 May 2016 - 11:38 AM, said:

---------------------------------------

Chaser...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current... Touareg R-Line Plus 3.0 V6 TDI 262PS 8-Speed Auto Tiptronic (from new). Area View, Canyon Grey Metallic, 21" Mallory Alloys, Dynamic CDC Air Suspension, Piano black decorative inlays with retrofit black surrounds on dashboard. 4way Electric R-Line Branded Two Tone Sports Seats in Nappa Leather, Memory Pack, Factory Tow Pack, Ambient Light Pack etc, etc,

R-Line 3.0Tdi 245ps 8-speed Auto Tiptronic (from new). Factory swivelling tow pack. Fully wired 13pin electrics. 9x20" Pikes Peak alloys. Piano black decorative inlays. Interior ambient light pack. Reversing camera.

Before that... Salt Lake Grey 2006 Touareg 2.5 Tdi SE Sport Auto (from 26k miles)

#15 User is offline   Klewy 

• View gallery
  • LocationCheshire

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:01 AM

Posted Image

Cheshire

#16 User is offline   chaser 

• Mechanical Guru

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:17 PM

View PostNoobyT, on 17 October 2020 - 02:47 PM, said:

Very sensible.

I followed a large dark shape down the A34 one pitch dark night. It turned out to be a brand new 6 wheeled coach on trade plates. The front DRLs were so bright the delivery could see where he was going just fine.

I pulled in front and turned my lights off and on a couple of times at which point he twigged and turned the coach's proper head and side lights on!
Moving a little off topic I know but don't get me started on all the gadgets and features of modern cars having an impact on driving skills. Youngest daughter is having driving lessons in a new Golf with auto hold and EPB. Hill starts are so easy she says. She'll have her test in the same car.
It's also almost impossible to stall due to ECUs ability to maintain rpm.
I've bought her an older Polo 9n without such features and she stalls every time even on the slightest incline! So it's left to me to teach hill starts using a handbrake lever and clutch/accelerator blending.
And to actually apply the flippin parking brake when stopped. 🙄
Chaser...

#17 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:28 PM

LOL!

#18 User is offline   RobC 

• Pip
  • LocationMelbourne, Victoria
  • Time Online: 3d 3h 45m 20s

Posted 19 October 2020 - 10:53 PM

View PostMagnus_V8TDI, on 13 October 2020 - 09:34 PM, said:

Hi!

Does any of you know what this little lamp is for and how to turn it on?
See red mark at attached file

This setting will turn on the parking lights on (both sides) as DRL: Module 09, Byte 27, Bit 1
Touareg MY15 7P V6 TDi

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.