Hello - new member

#1 User is offline   DevonTregs 

• Pip
  • Group: Full Member
  • LocationDevon, UK
  • Time Online: 1h 35m 49s

Posted 24 August 2020 - 01:36 PM

Hi there,

I've owned a 2007 Facelift V6 Altitude for the last 5 years .Fabulous truck, fully loaded with all the toys and the air suspension, that I loved. I've recently let it go ( +135,000 miles ) and have just bought a 2017 R line+ ( 28,000 miles ) . Its a fabulous looking beast, but I was horrified by the ride quality with the 21" mallory wheels and Dunlop tyres. My test drive only went on dual carriageway ( I know, my fault ), but when I came back to the potholes of Dartmoor, I feel the ride quality really harsh. In fact after one day I was ready to throw in the towel and buy another Discovery 4.....but maybe thats a bit hasty.

So my query is, would it make a significant difference to the ride quality to go down to 19" rims, or even 18" ? I guess I was spoilt with the air suspension on the previous truck. Before I pull the trigger on line to get new rims and tyres, I was wondering whether anyone out there could give me a recommendation for the best balance of ride comfort for multi-purpose driving on not such good roads. Finally, I have no intention of going off-road and I'm not looking for high performance on the motorway...so nothing extreme is necessary.

Many thanks for this excellent source of knowledge - I've really enjoyed reading the content over the years.
Current : 2017 R-line Plus 245 3.0 V6 TDI. Grey with Cream leather.

Previous : 2007 Altitude 3.0 V6. Air suspension. Black with Cream leather.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationHarry Hotspur land !
  • Time Online: 168d 23h 27m 28s

Posted 25 August 2020 - 12:14 PM

Hi DevonTregs and welcome to myTreg.com

Please remember to provide some details about your vehicle (year and model are a good start) in your signature as it helps the members answer your questions with model specific issues. Your location (in your profile) is useful so that members don't recommend services you can't get to.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

To search use google with; [site:www.mytreg.com <search words>] for your questions as they may have been asked before, please beware that the site search needs 4 or more letter words, (no limit with the Google search).

Please post your question once in the appropriate discussion forum appropriate to your model and use the topic title & description to briefly summarise the problem. This will assist others and provide for a quicker response - it will also be searchable so ensure that the title of the thread reflects the issue. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

New members and guests can use the 'View New Content' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar, as a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were last on the forum.

Have a read of this topic as it will familiarise you with common options you will use during the ownership of your vehicle.

Why not add a marker where you are located to the ‘Touareg Map of the World’ as well.

Please read the Announcements in the New Members Section which includes instructions on how to add photographs/images to posts and your My Gallery area.

Finally we often recommend the value of a good aftermarket warranty, please read the warranty forum area for our experience and advice.

Kind Regards
The Admin Team.
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#3 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery

Posted 25 August 2020 - 12:31 PM

I have a 2013 T3 R-Line with air susp on 20” alloys and the ride is excellent. Before that I briefly had a T3 Altitude with standard springs on 20” and before that a standard T2 Altitude on 19”.

The ride on both Tregs with standard susp was very good but as you say, you get spoiled with air susp.

You need to try different vehicles to see what is acceptable to you. 20” might be OK for you so try to test drive a Treg with standard susp on those. If you bought from a VW dealer, I’m sure they sure they would allow you to swop the car under the Das WeltAuto used car scheme if you are within 30 days of the purchase date - they may have a similar car in stock but the R-Line Plus has 21” as standard.

Maybe the dealer would be willing to swop over your 21” for a set of 20” from another Treg, but a keen buyer would spot that the R-Line Plus came with has 21” and that might affect the cars value down the line, moreso if you go to 19” or even 18” wheels.

21” tyres are expensive and whilst the size of the wheels might look good, it’s the shallow tyre profile that gives makes the ride harsh. You could of course always buy a new set if alloys/tyres and sell the existing 21”.

Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#4 User is online   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 160d 10h 14m 38s

Posted 25 August 2020 - 12:57 PM

Keep the 21 inch wheels (dry them carefully, destone the tyres, and then store then in a dry dark corner of the garage).

Buy a set of 18 inch wheels and fit Michelin Cross Climate tyres if possible which will give a you a better ride and safety in Devon moorland winters.
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:

http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used VW Touareg that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:

http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1, 957 = T2, 958.1 = T3 and 958.2 = T4

#5 User is offline   DevonTregs 

• Pip
  • LocationDevon, UK

Posted 08 September 2020 - 09:42 AM

Cass and Nooby T - many thanks for your advice. I bought privately, so going back to VW isn't an option. I have in fact taken Nooby T's advice and ordered a set of 18" Aspens and will be fitting Michelin Cross climates later in the week. I'm really looking forward to seeing the difference. I appreciate that the car wont look quite as bling, but to be honest the Dartmoor roads have roughed up the 21" rims a fair bit already, without any off-road / aggressive driving. They are just not fit for purpose where i live. Next ( and hopefully final ) quest should be an upgrade of the dreadful radio / stereo. Enjoying the car otherwise.....

#6 User is offline   DevonTregs 

• Pip
  • LocationDevon, UK

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:52 PM

Just a quick update....... New rims and tyres fitted. What a difference. Steering feels lighter. Braking is more responsive. Ride a little more floaty and comfortable. I don't have to wince every time i go over a ripple in the road. It's not a patch mind on the ride quality of my 2007 Altitude with Air - i find it hard to understand that ' i have regressed', but the engine and gear box are much smoother.....so i guess an overall improvement. I was worried it would look a little ungainly, but to be honest i think it improves the aesthetic ( says an architect :) ) Now looks a little more masculine and worthy of the SUV handle. In my opinion the 21" Mallory rims are a little ridiculous for a vehicle that boasts a standard off-road setting. Anyway, thanks again chaps for the knowledge.

#7 User is offline   Jaycee531 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationGlasgow
  • Time Online: 1d 21h 44m 45s

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:07 PM

That’s a great result and If you are pleased with it all the better . Mine has 20 inch combo and tbh the ride quality in some instances is terrible, spine jarring through the whole vehicle if you hit something like a long rut across the road or a bad pothole.On motorway and A roads it’s perfectly fine but still annoying when you hit an imperfection and feel as though You are on hoover belts.
The big wheels look fantastic but are maybe too big for some situations, 18s with a decent profile will not be too far off the same dimensions and as you have said will restore some of the suv purpose. You might even be able to bump up a pavement 👌👌👌
It’s defo something I will be considering .
What is the problem with the stereo?

#8 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:16 PM

To be fair, the Touareg is an SUV designed for road use and we all had an opportunity to view the specs and test drive before buying, but Iagree that 21” is a step too far :mellow:

#9 User is offline   Jaycee531 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationGlasgow
  • Time Online: 1d 21h 44m 45s

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:30 AM

Exactly, I suppose if one had winter wheels and tyres you wpuld then be able to make a comparison for yourself.

#10 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery
  • LocationSouth Staffordshire
  • Time Online: 427d 12h 52m 42s

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:17 AM

View PostJaycee531, on 15 September 2020 - 09:30 AM, said:

Exactly, I suppose if one had winter wheels and tyres you wpuld then be able to make a comparison for yourself.

There's certainly a difference in ride quality between my 17" winters and 19" summers, even with air suspension - and a long-term courtesy Touareg on 20" onh steel springs was much harsher again, horrible in fact.
2016 MY Touareg SE 262 - Reef Blue

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.