Hunting down a TReg

#1 User is offline   Inspira2 

• PipPip
  • Group: Full Member
  • LocationGlasgow
  • Time Online: 20h 47m 40s

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:24 PM

Hi All

Long time lurker here. I've been watching the market for some time and am now ready to buy. I'm primarly looking for a T3 or T4 Escape or perhaps an SE. Up to about 2016. As well as duties as a family car I plan to tow powerboat of around 3 tons (inc. trailer) and launch it from, some ocassionally hairy, slipways. I'm in Glasgow but perpared to travel anywhere for the right car. The choice is quite limited locally.

I'm keen to hear from any forum members selling.

Cheers
Looking for T3 or T4. Primarly an Escape or SE with sub 90k miles.
Would consider R-Line without big wheels.
Located in Glasgow but will travel anywhere for right car

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationHarry Hotspur land !
  • Time Online: 168d 19h 49m 34s

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:22 PM

Hi Inspira2 and welcome to myTreg.com

Please remember to provide some details about your vehicle (once you have found one) in your signature as it helps the members answer your questions with model specific issues. Your location (in your profile) is useful so that members don't recommend services you can't get to.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

To search use google with; [site:www.mytreg.com <search words>] for your questions as they may have been asked before, please beware that the site search needs 4 or more letter words, (no limit with the Google search).

Please post your question once in the appropriate discussion forum appropriate to your model and use the topic title & description to briefly summarise the problem. This will assist others and provide for a quicker response - it will also be searchable so ensure that the title of the thread reflects the issue. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

New members and guests can use the 'View New Content' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar, as a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were last on the forum.

As you are thinking of purchasing a Touareg for the first time; please read this excellent buyers guide.

Thanks for posting your introduction and remember every member has a Gallery area in their profile and we love to see photos of your Touareg in action. Why not add a marker where you are located to the ‘Touareg Map of the World’ when you get your car.

Please read the Announcements in the New Members Section which includes instructions on how to add photographs/images to posts and your My Gallery area.

Finally we often recommend the value of a good aftermarket warranty, please read the warranty forum area for our experience and advice.

Kind Regards
The Admin Team.
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#3 User is offline   ColinT 

• LocationScotland
  • Time Online: 6d 22h 14m 40s

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:31 PM

View PostInspira2, on 10 August 2020 - 03:24 PM, said:

Hi All

Long time lurker here. I've been watching the market for some time and am now ready to buy. I'm primarly looking for a T3 or T4 Escape or perhaps an SE. Up to about 2016. As well as duties as a family car I plan to tow powerboat of around 3 tons (inc. trailer) and launch it from, some ocassional hairy, slipways.. I'm in Glasgow but perpared to travel anywhere for the right car. The choice is quite limited locally.

I'm keen to hear from any forum members selling.

Cheers

If you're planning on towing 3 tonnes try and get one with the uprated cooling fan, It's over £1k to get a dealer to fit one.

Many of us tow caravans without upgrading the fan but they don't come close to the weight you'll be towing.

Uprated fan should be fitted to any car with the factory fit towbar but don't assume it is, some weren't so you need to check.
2015 R Line 262 in Pure White

#4 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 159d 14h 34m 55s

Posted 11 August 2020 - 04:23 AM

The standard coolant fan is 600 watts.

The uprated fan is 850 watts.

If the car has a factory fitted towbar then it should have the uprated 850 watt fan but there was a period when only the 600 watt fan was fitted to cars with a factory fitted towbar.
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:

http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used VW Touareg that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:

http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1, 957 = T2, 958.1 = T3 and 958.2 = T4

#5 User is offline   johnb80 

• LocationGainsborough, Lincolnshire
  • Time Online: 27d 9h 34m 28s

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:33 AM

Weighing circa 2200Kg I dont think I'd want 3 tonnes behind it on a hairy slipway, probably not on the road either for that matter. Touareg is a great towcar, Im not convinced on it's stability above 100% though.
Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 now gone and replaced with the opposite end of the pollution scale, BMW i3 electric car, one word, love it. Previous cars 4.4TDV8 Range Rover, 2006 Touareg 3.0 TDi (Superb Car), Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI (Also Great Car).
If youre old fashioned and still burning fossil fuels, MORRISONS fuel which is the best choice for all Touaregs.
P.S. Watch the mods here, they do dark and devious things when youre not looking LOL

#6 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery
  • LocationSouth Staffordshire
  • Time Online: 423d 14h 56m 1s

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:55 AM

From the checking I did in 2015 when I bought my Touareg new, the Escape and SE models each account for only 5% of sales, with R-lines accounting for the other 90% - so you'll need to search long and hard to find them.

If you're hauling a 3 tonne boat up a "hairy" slipway you'll need to pay particular attention to tyres - and noseweight limit is only 140kg.
2016 MY Touareg SE 262 - Reef Blue

#7 User is offline   hunterlees 

• Group: Club Member
  • LocationGlasgow & BT19
  • Time Online: 28d 5h 39m 13s

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:03 AM

I launch my boat which is around 2.6T all up on slipways with my venerable 2.5.
I use low ratio though for added control, so make sure you source this feature which IIRC was only fitted to Escape models at the age you are looking for - others may correct me on this point.
2006 SE Sport 2.5Tdi, Manual, Black, Cricket Leather, Roof Bars, Detachable Tow Bar.
In my 14th year of ownership :-)
2012 BMW 640d Convertible.
2018 BMW 530d M Sport Touring.

#8 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:13 AM

View Posthunterlees, on 11 August 2020 - 08:03 AM, said:

I launch my boat which is around 2.6T all up on slipways with my venerable 2.5.
I use low ratio though for added control, so make sure you source this feature which IIRC was only fitted to Escape models at the age you are looking for - others may correct me on this point.

Yes - 4XMotion with low ratio on Escape, 4Motion without low ratio on SE, R-Line and R-LinePlus

#9 User is offline   Inspira2 

• PipPip
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:10 AM

I understand the cooling fan situation. You can buy a new one now for £300 so it's a good excuse to get the spanners out if I need too.

And yes a low range box would be nice. Just very rare, there’s one for sale locally but it’s basic spec and in black, not my first choice. I don’t mind waiting.

My boating partner and I currently use his Merc M320(I think) which hasn’t got a low range and very much a soft roader. It’s ok on the slips but we have kept away from the most interesting ones 😉 The trailer nose weight isn't particularly challenging, it's a twin axle and well ballanced.

In other news I’ll be coming to this purchase from 20+ years of sports cars, the latest being a 350Z. So I’m not sure if I’m going up in the world or not ! Am no stranger to 4x4 though, I passed my test in an old 3 Series Land Rover.

#10 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:24 AM

Huh - a Series III is not old!
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used VW Touareg that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:

#11 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:30 AM

Videos of failed boat launches rank very highly in my You tube favourittes!

Tricky Logging extractions and lorries falling off cliffs are next, and bicycle and motorbike crashes top the list.

#12 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:43 AM

View PostInspira2, on 11 August 2020 - 10:10 AM, said:

I understand the cooling fan situation. You can buy a new one now for £300 so it's a good excuse to get the spanners out if I need too.

Be wary, very wary - despite the heading that link shows the 600w fan - mine had to be changed from 600w to 850w as it was a mis-build and I saw both fans during the process - the 600w blade width is considerably less than 50% while the 850w blade width is considerably more than 50%

#13 User is offline   Klewy 

• View gallery
  • LocationCheshire
  • Time Online: 4d 1h 27m 9s

Posted 11 August 2020 - 04:15 PM

View PostInspira2, on 11 August 2020 - 10:10 AM, said:

And yes a low range box would be nice. Just very rare, there’s one for sale locally but it’s basic spec and in black, not my first choice. I don’t mind waiting.

My boating partner and I currently use his Merc M320(I think) which hasn’t got a low range and very much a soft roader. It’s ok on the slips but we have kept away from the most interesting ones 😉 The trailer nose weight isn't particularly challenging, it's a twin axle and well ballanced.

In other news I’ll be coming to this purchase from 20+ years of sports cars, the latest being a 350Z. So I’m not sure if I’m going up in the world or not ! Am no stranger to 4x4 though, I passed my test in an old 3 Series Land Rover.

That looks like a 600w fan to me, still got my old one in the garage. 850w fan blades are quite a bit wider than those ones. I got my 850w fan 16 months ago and it was around £650 plus vat from dealer. Couldn’t find a cheaper one anywhere so doubt they’ve dropped to £300 within that time. Get the part no of the one for sale and compare it to the 850w number that appears in several other threads on the forum.

pic of my old 600w fan can be seen here for comparison https://www.mytreg.c...58_2115193.jpeg
2015 R-Line 262PS in White

Cheshire

#14 User is offline   Inspira2 

• PipPip
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:51 AM

View PostKlewy, on 11 August 2020 - 04:15 PM, said:

That looks like a 600w fan to me,

Yeah I noticed that. I'm hoping it's just a library pic of one that's close. This is quite common when listing car parts. I've messaged them to find out.

#15 User is offline   Inspira2 

• PipPip
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:08 AM

The seller has just confirmed that it is the 850w version :-) Hmmm I wonder if we could get a MyTreg group buy together for further discount....though I'd better slow down a bit, don't even have one yet.

#16 User is offline   chaser 

• Mechanical Guru
  • Time Online: 94d 11h 13m 35s

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:35 PM

Inspira2 said:

1597230512[/url]' post='682652']
The seller has just confirmed that it is the 850w version :-) Hmmm I wonder if we could get a MyTreg group buy together for further discount....though I'd better slow down a bit, don't even have one yet.

You’re looking at an aftermarket part. The genuine VW upgrade does not look like that. It should have broader fan blades. The motor itself may well be 850w but trust me if that photo is the actual item then that is not the correct fan assembly.
Chaser...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current... Touareg R-Line Plus 3.0 V6 TDI 262PS 8-Speed Auto Tiptronic (from new). Area View, Canyon Grey Metallic, 21" Mallory Alloys, Dynamic CDC Air Suspension, Piano black decorative inlays with retrofit black surrounds on dashboard. 4way Electric R-Line Branded Two Tone Sports Seats in Nappa Leather, Memory Pack, Factory Tow Pack, Ambient Light Pack etc, etc,

Previous... Pure White 2014 Touareg V6
R-Line 3.0Tdi 245ps 8-speed Auto Tiptronic (from new). Factory swivelling tow pack. Fully wired 13pin electrics. 9x20" Pikes Peak alloys. Piano black decorative inlays. Interior ambient light pack. Reversing camera.

Before that... Salt Lake Grey 2006 Touareg 2.5 Tdi SE Sport Auto (from 26k miles)

#17 User is offline   ColinT 

• LocationScotland
  • Time Online: 6d 22h 14m 40s

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:07 PM

View Postchaser, on 12 August 2020 - 01:35 PM, said:

You’re looking at an aftermarket part. The genuine VW upgrade does not look like that. It should have broader fan blades. The motor itself may well be 850w but trust me if that photo is the actual item then that is not the correct fan assembly.

Perhaps that explains the low price?
2015 R Line 262 in Pure White

#18 User is offline   Inspira2 

• PipPip
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:31 PM

Oh you pessimists :P

I'll ask about the blade size.

#19 User is offline   chaser 

• Mechanical Guru
  • Time Online: 94d 11h 13m 35s

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:39 PM

Here you go, the real thing...!

Attached File  E197381E-B0CD-4D35-B612-963D815F143B.jpeg (1.47MB)
Number of downloads: 18
Chaser...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current... Touareg R-Line Plus 3.0 V6 TDI 262PS 8-Speed Auto Tiptronic (from new). Area View, Canyon Grey Metallic, 21" Mallory Alloys, Dynamic CDC Air Suspension, Piano black decorative inlays with retrofit black surrounds on dashboard. 4way Electric R-Line Branded Two Tone Sports Seats in Nappa Leather, Memory Pack, Factory Tow Pack, Ambient Light Pack etc, etc,

Previous... Pure White 2014 Touareg V6
R-Line 3.0Tdi 245ps 8-speed Auto Tiptronic (from new). Factory swivelling tow pack. Fully wired 13pin electrics. 9x20" Pikes Peak alloys. Piano black decorative inlays. Interior ambient light pack. Reversing camera.

Before that... Salt Lake Grey 2006 Touareg 2.5 Tdi SE Sport Auto (from 26k miles)

#20 User is offline   Inspira2 

• PipPip
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:28 PM

Just send the seller a picture of both fans, I await the answer with baited breath....

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chris Knott Insurance - Forum Sponsor

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.