Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

Door inner skin removal

5K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  chaser 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've finally got around to replacing the rear drivers side lock. As reported elsewhere it's stopped locking a fault I've now had on every vw, audi and porsche I've owned. They share parts. Go figure.
Anyways.

I've got the interior door liner off no problem and I've unhooked it but I'm unable to see how to remove the black plastic inner door skin. By this I mean the plastic lining that the speaker is bolted onto. I've unlocked all of the white plastic hex fixings but something is still holding it firmly in place. Peeking around the lifted edge it looks like it's something attached to the regulator. What's the trick to getting this inner lining off without breaking something?

#2 ·
On my 2014, you have to pull up the armrest to gain access to one or two fasteners (I do not recall it by heart). Also you have to remove the top wooden trim in order to undo another couple of fasteners.
Once the are all removed and the clips detached, it is a matter of pulling up and then off the entire door panel, unplug a bunch of connectors and the door opener bowden cable.
I hope it helps.

Gabriel

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Adding the year and model in your sig would help with responses

#7 ·
No but will try to screenshot...

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
#9 ·
#10 ·
I'm not sure if the phone images will be very clear but hopefully they're helpful.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
#12 ·
This should be the first image but couldn't get it to upload in order for some reason.. Product Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

Attachments

#13 ·
I am currently doing the same on my 2012 altitude rear passenger door ( same as yours, won't lock). I also don't know how to remove the inner skin. was wondering if the window has to be in the down/open position ?. I won't be doing it till next week now but will post if I succeed.

#14 ·
Window glass stays in the door, regulator comes out attached to the subframe/inner panel. The widow needs to be lowered to a position where access can be gained to disconnect it from the regulator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.