• You cannot reply to this topic

Michelin Latitude Cross VS Cross Clime SUV Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   markipowell993 

• Pip
  • Group: Full Member
  • LocationNewcastle / French Alps
  • Time Online: 1d 1h 16m 30s

Posted 15 June 2020 - 07:19 AM

I will be putting new tyres on my 2007 T2 this week. A few senior members have recommended the Michelin Latitude Cross but I really need a tyre that has the 'Snow flake' rating for driving around Europe in winter specifically up to the ski stations.
I am sure the latitude cross would be fine combined with the 4 wheel drive of the T2 but having the snow flake rating is law in some countries and does mean after a dump of snow that you are allowed up to the ski stations without fitting chains if there
is a check. I have a set of chains but I have never had to use them in 15 years even though I was driving a Porsche 911(993) on winters.
The Michelin Cross climate SUV appears to suit, does anybody have any experience of this tyre on a Treg ? I have read some of the reviews and a 3 way test against a full winter tyre and a summer up a ski slope ! where it seemed to do very well.
It will need to cope with southern Italy and Greece in summer and the Alps in winter so maybe I should contact Michelin and offer to do a long term test for them.... :D
2007 V6 TDI 225 SE Silver (On loan from very nice friend)

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery
  • LocationSouth Staffordshire
  • Time Online: 410d 14h 56m 15s

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:00 AM

I can't answer your question directly - but I fitted Vredestein Quatrac Pro on my T4 earlier this year to save having to switch between winter and summer tyres - they're All-Season and have the 3PMSF (Snowflake) symbol, they do very well in all the comparative tests - I specifically didn't want directional tyres like Cross Climate.

With the dry spring and low mileage due to lockdown I can't comment on how they perform.
2016 MY Touareg SE 262 - Reef Blue

#3 User is offline   Greg 

• View gallery
  • LocationPreston,Lancashire
  • Time Online: 9d 11h 4m 43s

Posted 16 June 2020 - 09:02 AM

Definitely need a review when you can , looking to change mine later this year and its Quatrac pro I am looking at next.( Tyremen in Hull seen cheap )

View PostBlack Grouse, on 15 June 2020 - 09:00 AM, said:

I can't answer your question directly - but I fitted Vredestein Quatrac Pro on my T4 earlier this year to save having to switch between winter and summer tyres - they're All-Season and have the 3PMSF (Snowflake) symbol, they do very well in all the comparative tests - I specifically didn't want directional tyres like Cross Climate.

With the dry spring and low mileage due to lockdown I can't comment on how they perform.

VW Touareg 2016 R Line , Reef Blue, parking heater , 100 litre fuel tank ,14 way upgrade leather seats , Westfalia tow bar, sometimes with a canoe on top and with a caravan in tow
Previously VW Touareg 2011 SE in Pearl Black with lots of extras, had for about 5 yrs

#4 User is offline   markipowell993 

• Pip
  • LocationNewcastle / French Alps
  • Time Online: 1d 1h 16m 30s

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for your reply Black Grouse I will look into them. Do you wish to have non-directional tyres in order to rotate them across the car rather than just front to back or is there another reason ?
2007 V6 TDI 225 SE Silver (On loan from very nice friend)

#5 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery
  • LocationSouth Staffordshire
  • Time Online: 410d 14h 56m 15s

Posted 16 June 2020 - 01:32 PM

View Postmarkipowell993, on 16 June 2020 - 12:48 PM, said:

Thanks for your reply Black Grouse I will look into them. Do you wish to have non-directional tyres in order to rotate them across the car rather than just front to back or is there another reason ?

You're correct - cross-rotation gives more even wear than staying on the same side of the car - the marketing blurb also refers to different parts of the tread optimised across the tyre for the different seasons.

It's important to consider the climates that the tyres will be used in - I personally need tyres that cope with cold, wet conditions in winter (and summer!) and rarely need tyres for deep snow or ice - but others who live at altitude may make the latter more important.
2016 MY Touareg SE 262 - Reef Blue

#6 User is online   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 157d 14h 44m

Posted 16 June 2020 - 01:48 PM

Touareg tyres normally wear evenly.

It's only the Yanks who seem set on tyre rotation every 5,000 miles.

I bin tyres at 50%/4mm tread depth as their performance falls off a cliff after that.

And that especially applies to any all-season, winter or off-road tyre for fairly obvious reasons!

The Germans recommend 4mm minimum too.

I see that you can still use M+S tyres with no snowflake symbol in Germany until September 2024 as long as the tyre manufacture date precedes 1 January 2018.

Since all tyres have a square box with the four figure DOT code - week/year of manufacture - it's easy for everyone to check if they comply.

5217 on a no snowflake M+S is okay, but 0118 is not.
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:

http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used VW Touareg that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:

http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1, 957 = T2, 958.1 = T3 and 958.2 = T4

#7 User is offline   chaser 

• Mechanical Guru
  • Time Online: 92d 1h 40m 14s

Posted 16 June 2020 - 05:51 PM

View PostNoobyT, on 16 June 2020 - 01:48 PM, said:

Touareg tyres normally wear evenly.

It's only the Yanks who seem set on tyre rotation every 5,000 miles.

True in the case of T1 and 2 but the T3/4 Torsen equipped Touaregs do wear rear tyres quicker.

I changed front to rear periodically on my previous T3... Something I neglected to do with this T4 and ended up binning two perfectly good front Pirellis with 4.5mm left when rears were worn out.
Chaser...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current... Touareg R-Line Plus 3.0 V6 TDI 262PS 8-Speed Auto Tiptronic. Area View, Canyon Grey Metallic, 21" Mallory Alloys, Dynamic CDC Air Suspension, 14way Electric R-Line Branded Two Tone Sports Seats in Nappa Leather, Memory Pack, Factory Tow Pack, Ambient Light Pack etc, etc,

Previous... Pure White 2014 Touareg V6
R-Line 3.0Tdi 245ps 8-speed Auto Tiptronic (from new). Factory swivelling tow pack. Fully wired 13pin electrics. 9x20" Pikes Peak alloys. Piano black decorative inlays. Interior ambient light pack. Reversing camera.

Before that... Salt Lake Grey 2006 Touareg 2.5 Tdi SE Sport Auto (from 26k miles)

#8 User is offline   ColinT 

• LocationScotland
  • Time Online: 6d 4h 27m 12s

Posted 16 June 2020 - 06:12 PM

View Postchaser, on 16 June 2020 - 05:51 PM, said:

True in the case of T1 and 2 but the T3/4 Torsen equipped Touaregs do wear rear tyres quicker.

I changed front to rear periodically on my previous T3... Something I neglected to do with this T4 and ended up binning two perfectly good front Pirellis with 4.5mm left when rears were worn out.

2015 R Line 262 in Pure White

#9 User is offline   ColinT 

• LocationScotland
  • Time Online: 6d 4h 27m 12s

Posted 16 June 2020 - 06:13 PM

That's strange, the fronts on my T4 wear quicker than the rear.
2015 R Line 262 in Pure White

#10 User is offline   chaser 

• Mechanical Guru
  • Time Online: 92d 1h 40m 14s

Posted 16 June 2020 - 06:35 PM

Who knows why? I'm a very steady driver  so I can't imagine I'm causing any unusual wear. T3/4's have a 40/60 front rear torque split so it would be natural to expect rear wear.
Another thing I've noticed on my car is if I have tpms pressures displayed from cold start the rear pressures increase before the front.

Apologies for the thread drift btw. 😊
Chaser...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current... Touareg R-Line Plus 3.0 V6 TDI 262PS 8-Speed Auto Tiptronic. Area View, Canyon Grey Metallic, 21" Mallory Alloys, Dynamic CDC Air Suspension, 14way Electric R-Line Branded Two Tone Sports Seats in Nappa Leather, Memory Pack, Factory Tow Pack, Ambient Light Pack etc, etc,

Previous... Pure White 2014 Touareg V6
R-Line 3.0Tdi 245ps 8-speed Auto Tiptronic (from new). Factory swivelling tow pack. Fully wired 13pin electrics. 9x20" Pikes Peak alloys. Piano black decorative inlays. Interior ambient light pack. Reversing camera.

Before that... Salt Lake Grey 2006 Touareg 2.5 Tdi SE Sport Auto (from 26k miles)

#11 User is offline   Greg 

• View gallery
  • LocationPreston,Lancashire
  • Time Online: 9d 11h 4m 43s

Posted 17 June 2020 - 04:19 PM

View Postchaser, on 16 June 2020 - 06:35 PM, said:

Who knows why? I'm a very steady driver so I can't imagine I'm causing any unusual wear. T3/4's have a 40/60 front rear torque split so it would be natural to expect rear wear.
Another thing I've noticed on my car is if I have tpms pressures displayed from cold start the rear pressures increase before the front.

Apologies for the thread drift btw.

Mine also go on the front first, on both my Tregs , thought that was normal
VW Touareg 2016 R Line , Reef Blue, parking heater , 100 litre fuel tank ,14 way upgrade leather seats , Westfalia tow bar, sometimes with a canoe on top and with a caravan in tow
Previously VW Touareg 2011 SE in Pearl Black with lots of extras, had for about 5 yrs

#12 User is offline   Boff 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationN Wales
  • Time Online: 4d 15h 28m 15s

Posted 23 June 2020 - 04:32 PM

View PostBlack Grouse, on 15 June 2020 - 09:00 AM, said:

Our Escape came with Quatrac fitted. I had never heard of them. They perform very well including towing our 2T caravan through mud. When they need replacing it will buy another set.
2015 Escape 262, Moonlight blue, badges deleted Vienna Bonaza brown upholstery (Marmite), Memory Pack

#13 User is offline   Phil H 

• Elite Member
  • View gallery
  • LocationLeics
  • Time Online: 20d 2h 57m 37s

Posted 23 June 2020 - 07:11 PM

View Postchaser, on 16 June 2020 - 05:51 PM, said:

I do like to corner hard and have worn the edges on the fronts wasting two perfectly good rears that I neglected to rotate. I've opted for Avon ZX7s this time around.
T3 Touareg 245 R Line

Raced motorcycles until I got bored of the tools sharing the paddock. Now an avid lycra lout.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.