• You cannot reply to this topic

Bloody Chrome trim Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Tregtim 

• Group: Full Member
  • LocationMerseyside
  • Time Online: 1d 15h 2m 53s

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:45 AM

Hi all,

Im still trying to sort out the chrome trim around the windows, on the rear 1/4 glass and doors.....Its either acid or strong TFR damage, can't clean them up even with 1500 wet and dry,

ive just priced them up, the rear 1/4 trim..is held on by clips and just pops out of the rubber, goes back in easy too....that one is £137.00. Jesus christ........???????

anyone found a way to get them rechromed or used chrome paint or chrome tape......

TIA

Tim
2013 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 Altitude

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   johnb80 

• LocationGainsborough, Lincolnshire
  • Time Online: 27d 4h 38m 23s

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:21 PM

View PostTregtim, on 23 May 2020 - 10:45 AM, said:

Hi all,

Im still trying to sort out the chrome trim around the windows, on the rear 1/4 glass and doors.....Its either acid or strong TFR damage, can't clean them up even with 1500 wet and dry,

ive just priced them up, the rear 1/4 trim..is held on by clips and just pops out of the rubber, goes back in easy too....that one is £137.00. Jesus christ........???????

anyone found a way to get them rechromed or used chrome paint or chrome tape......

TIA

Tim

It's the plastic covering that goes milky on them (or it was on mine). I had some fluid for the soft top folding rear window of my Smart Car. It had gone milky due to UV etc, the fluid was applied and it went clear almost instantly. It was made by one of the well known polish makers and I got it from Halfords, it is sold for the purpose of restoring soft top windows. On my T1 the plastic covered window strips had suffered in the same way, treatment with this stuff followed by Solvol Autosol and a dremel had them looking like new in a couple of hours.
Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 now gone and replaced with the opposite end of the pollution scale, BMW i3 electric car, one word, love it. Previous cars 4.4TDV8 Range Rover, 2006 Touareg 3.0 TDi (Superb Car), Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI (Also Great Car).
If youre old fashioned and still burning fossil fuels, MORRISONS fuel which is the best choice for all Touaregs.
P.S. Watch the mods here, they do dark and devious things when youre not looking LOL

#3 User is offline   Tregtim 

• LocationMerseyside

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:51 AM

View Postjohnb80, on 23 May 2020 - 06:21 PM, said:

It's the plastic covering that goes milky on them (or it was on mine). I had some fluid for the soft top folding rear window of my Smart Car. It had gone milky due to UV etc, the fluid was applied and it went clear almost instantly. It was made by one of the well known polish makers and I got it from Halfords, it is sold for the purpose of restoring soft top windows. On my T1 the plastic covered window strips had suffered in the same way, treatment with this stuff followed by Solvol Autosol and a dremel had them looking like new in a couple of hours.

No..on the 2016 the trims are metal, I’ve tried everything to bring them up, but they are too Badley stained, so I’m looking to cover them some how...

#4 User is offline   Steve H 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationWirral
  • Time Online: 2d 15h 46m 9s

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:04 AM

View PostTregtim, on 24 May 2020 - 07:51 AM, said:

No..on the 2016 the trims are metal, I’ve tried everything to bring them up, but they are too Badley stained, so I’m looking to cover them some how...

I used peek paste on my a6 and that sorted it. Not sure how bad yours are but it's worth a try. I live on the wirral if you want to borrow mine.

I always thought the window needed to come out to replace the rear 1/4 trim??
White 2014 VW Touareg R Line 245bhp

#5 User is offline   johnb80 

• LocationGainsborough, Lincolnshire
  • Time Online: 27d 4h 38m 23s

Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:48 PM

View PostTregtim, on 24 May 2020 - 07:51 AM, said:

Ah ok, sorry, good luck. Solvol Autosol is usually good for polishing metal, worth a try.
Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 now gone and replaced with the opposite end of the pollution scale, BMW i3 electric car, one word, love it. Previous cars 4.4TDV8 Range Rover, 2006 Touareg 3.0 TDi (Superb Car), Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI (Also Great Car).
If youre old fashioned and still burning fossil fuels, MORRISONS fuel which is the best choice for all Touaregs.
P.S. Watch the mods here, they do dark and devious things when youre not looking LOL

#6 User is offline   Tregtim 

• LocationMerseyside

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:24 PM

View PostSteve H, on 24 May 2020 - 09:04 AM, said:

I used peek paste on my a6 and that sorted it. Not sure how bad yours are but it's worth a try. I live on the wirral if you want to borrow mine.

Yep.... tried Peel, didn’t touch it...

#7 User is offline   Tregtim 

• LocationMerseyside

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:25 PM

View PostSteve H, on 24 May 2020 - 09:04 AM, said:

I thought the seal and trim would come out but the chrome bit literally just clips into the seal.👍👍

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chris Knott Insurance - Forum Sponsor

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.