Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

ATS Euromaster - Telford thumbs up!

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Black Grouse 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just wanted to share my experience if anyone is hesitant about using anything other than VW. My 2015 has just 32000 miles and has been looked after at VW until they lost my trust following an issue with the headlights.

I'd used ATS Euromaster in Telford for 2 sets of tyres previously and found the staff helpful, friendly and enthusiastic.

Tyres fitted correctly, care taken with torque settings and they wire brushed and lubricated the rusty bolts. No air guns used to undo or fit the bolts.

I dont use the Touareg regularly and after 1 week sitting the battery was giving up. £199.00 and about 1 hour while i waited for ATS Euromaster to fit a replacement. Quick considering the battery is under the passnger seat and a good price.

Also noticed that the brake pedal was getting long. VW had during scheduled services noted that brake wear was 70% then a year later 50% so i had a clue that the health check wasn't worth the paper. Eurocarparts came to £680.00 for discs, pads and sensors front and back. ATS Euromaster quoted £991.00 inc VAT to supply and fit Pagid discs, pads, sensors and change the brake fluid. It took them a few days and repeat visits to get the air gap and grind in setup done but they never gave up. It also seems that my electronic parking brake may not have been working correctly since the car was new, something that the VW service advisor had said was working obviously wasn't as the brake shoes never touched the inside of the drum.

It is such a relief to find somewhere to take my car for servicing that i can trust to do a good job and not rip me off!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Speak as you find and very glad to hear of a positive experience outside the dealership, even if they ere inexperienced with the EPB and you needed to go back more than once.

Ffor my part, I haven't ever gone outside the VW dealership apart from tyres. After 5 years and 48k miles. I got a good price at my local independent tyre supplier for a set of OEM Goodyear Eagle F1 SUV's, but I needed the dealer to correctly balance them, which they did FOC.

Unlike yourself and many others, I have never lost faith in my VW dealer and all servicing, maintenance and warranty work has been carried out by them. My front disc brakes and pads were replaced by the dealer at the same time as the tyres and despite the expense, it was what I expected from a dealer with the relevant parts and labour warranty. I haven't had any advisory on the rears at the last MOT and at 62k miles now, I haven't had anything else to worry about.

I only use my Touareg for longer drives/holidays and it can stand for several days or even several weeks without being used. My battery is the original and I periodically use a CTEK smart charger to maintain the charge and recondition it annually.

I would query the assertion that the EPB pads never touched the side of the drum otherwise you would have never had a functioning parking brake. I use Auto-Hold all the time and have never had an issue. Presumably Euromaster informed you of this but their experience of this seems limited or have you had a previous issue with the VW dealer

Your post shows that you can run and maintain a Touareg outside the dealer network but there are also advantages in having a full dealer service history and maintaining a dealer warranty. About 18 months ago I had my RNS850 control unit replaced at no cost to me - it would have been 5k otherwise. It's also worth mentioning that VCDS is the most complete diagnostic tool for fault diagnosis and not many independents have this.

As the Touareg has been around for about 18 years now and early models can be picked up for the price of a cheap runabout and it doesn't make sense to use main dealers. Ffor newer cars however, there are pluses - providing you can find a good dealer

#3 ·
The EPB had been an issue since i bought the Touareg more than 4 years ago. I would park and apply the brake only for the car to move a few inches after i got out. Informed the dealer and was told, no fault found. I now have a fully functioning park brake. The Autohold seemed to function fine though.

I think going forward i will let VW do the regular maintenance, change the oil and filter etc to keep the FVWSH. The warranty has proved invaluable and paid for itself several times with the RNS850 £4-5000.00, Sunroof motor £750.00, Headlight £750.00. Warranty is £600.00/year including breakdown recovery and anything needed to pass the MOT so seems good value with the history so far.

The issue with the headlights pointing in all directions occured immediately following the sunroof motor replacement. Not sure if it was something in the software but i had a hard time with the dealer trying to say it was chargeable when i had their warranty and FVWSH. In the end they said the comms failed to the nearside headlight and they replaced it FOC, one shiny new headlight. Then followed multiple painful dealer visits later for adjustment as i was blinding oncoming traffic. The lights thankfully now function as they did before. Now i remember that the dealer said the headlights are not according to MOT spec and will be changed back when it comes to the MOT. How can they expect me to believe that headlights pointing inconsistantly up and into oncoming traffic is correct? (i had checked the LH to RH setting was correct)

All fun and games!

#4 ·
How do you get the warranty cost down so low? The cheapest I can get my 2015(2016 MY)Touareg is £703 but that's named component, not all components, with a £250 excess, 10,000 mileage limit, no breakdown or MoT - for all components, 15,000 limit and £0 excess it's £1,577 !!!

#5 ·
When the original warranty ended i paid £900.00 for 2 years extended warranty and breakdown with Inchcape for the 4x4 Luxury Cover. It is a Car Care Plan policy not VW.

Renewal came through at £600.00/yr. Policy seems to cover everything excluding wear & tear. UK & European recovery, 7 days car hire, unlimited claims to the value of vehicle, diagnostic charges £75.00/claim. MOT Test Insurance. Seems fairly extensive and so far they have paid for everything that has failed.

I have never paid an excess and don't recall any mileage limit only that the vehicle must be under 10 years old and less than 100,000 miles at inception. All maintenance has to follow manufacturers recommendations.

#7 ·
Don't forget that the new policy will need to be setup 90 days before the old warranty expires to maintain continuous cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.