DIY Rear Camera Install How to Guide with images Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Cymro333 

• Pip
  • Group: Full Member
  • LocationWales UK
  • Time Online: 13h 40m 51s

Posted 25 October 2018 - 05:32 AM

Hi
You may have seen this post before as I originally posted this elsewhere and only now realised that I hadn't posted it on this great site, so here it is:-

I endeavored to fit a rear camera to my UK spec 2015 V6 TDI 262ps R-Line.

Due to all the help on here I thought I'd give a bit back, so here's my experience and some photos of the install hoping it will benefit others:-

The unit was purchased from CarNaviPlayer.com for $369 = £278.42 on Tuesday and it arrived the following Monday. (I did have an additional £24 import tax to pay via DHL's website, which I was hoping to get away with).

The camera arrived in a nice brown box with zero information, I guess you follow the instructions on from their website.

Inside the box you get
1. the CAN decoder box,
2. the rear camera/tailgate handle
3. power cable
4. LVDS input cable
5. Parking Distance Control (PDC) CAN bus cable
6. the Camera cbale, which runs from the front of the car to the rear camera

I started by striping the rear tailgate and fitting the camera/handle, this was fairly straight forward four T20 torx screws and a little gentle persuasion to release the clips.Removed old handle and fitted new camera (10mm nuts) Pics 1 & 2.

I then removed the rear side cover, pics 3, 4 & 5. One T 20 torx and four clips held this in place.

I then proceeded to run the camera cable from the front of the car to the rear. I chose to route it under the bottom trim as I have a panoramic roof and not much space over the top due to the air bag. To be honest this was very quick and tidy.

Once the camera cable was run I removed the steering column covers and dropped the fuse box to gain access to the PDC canbus connector, which is very high up in the dash, you can just about make out the beige connectors. See pics 6 – 11. Original plug removed and new canbus connector fitted.

I then removed the glove box, make sure you disconnect the glove box light prior to removal as the cable is very short and you could damage the fitting. Undo 4 torx screws at the top and two at the bottom to release the box, ensure the keys are not in the ignition or anywhere near the car if keyless entry before removing the yellow air bag connector. Once the glovebox has been dropped the canbus cable, camaera cable and LVDS cable can be connected to the decoder box. The grey media LVDS cable (3rd from right) can be removed and connected to the decoder box, the new LVDS cable can be connected in its place. Pics 12 - 16

I then attached the decoder box behind the centre console with cable ties and started to rebuild the dash.

Once rebuilt, I concentrated on fishing the camera cable through the left hand gaiter as it has fewer cables. I used a long cable as recommended somewhere else on these forums and gently prised and manipulated the camera cable through. Pics 17 & 18.
Connected the camera cable to the camera, rebuilt the rear and tested it. See Pic 19, all good.
From start to finish 2.5 hours, without much stress. I’m very pleased with the results.
I hope someone finds this post useful as there isn’t much info on CarNaviPlayer’s website and the instruction pictures are too small.
Any thing you need to know please feel free to ask.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  schematic.jpg (173.3K)
    Number of downloads: 127
  • Attached File  CVS-2131A-5.jpg (507.64K)
    Number of downloads: 143
  • Attached File  1.jpg (24.56K)
    Number of downloads: 134
  • Attached File  2.jpg (513.52K)
    Number of downloads: 123
  • Attached File  3.jpg (528.43K)
    Number of downloads: 113
  • Attached File  4.jpg (467.65K)
    Number of downloads: 102
  • Attached File  5.jpg (495.11K)
    Number of downloads: 101
  • Attached File  6.jpg (513.24K)
    Number of downloads: 102
  • Attached File  7.jpg (465.54K)
    Number of downloads: 97
  • Attached File  8.jpg (328.64K)
    Number of downloads: 91
  • Attached File  9.jpg (531.89K)
    Number of downloads: 84
  • Attached File  10.jpg (613.97K)
    Number of downloads: 77
  • Attached File  11.jpg (492.65K)
    Number of downloads: 82
  • Attached File  12.jpg (460.56K)
    Number of downloads: 80
  • Attached File  13.jpg (537.15K)
    Number of downloads: 81
  • Attached File  14.jpg (536.25K)
  • Attached File  15.jpg (605.51K)
    Number of downloads: 82
  • Attached File  16.jpg (503.16K)
  • Attached File  17.jpg (783.59K)
    Number of downloads: 87
  • Attached File  18.jpg (475.42K)
    Number of downloads: 108
  • Attached File  19.jpg (540.23K)
    Number of downloads: 117
  • Attached File  CVS-2131A-1 (1).jpg (234.85K)
    Number of downloads: 113
  • Attached File  CVS-2131A-4.jpg (190.94K)
    Number of downloads: 104
  • Attached File  IMG_3687.jpg (632.93K)
    Number of downloads: 93
  • Attached File  1.jpg (409.8K)
    Number of downloads: 73

2015 Pure white Touareg V6 R-Line 3.0Tdi 262ps 8-speed Auto Tiptronic, usual spec with retro fitted rear reversing camera

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 158d 4h 42m 43s

Posted 25 October 2018 - 08:56 AM

Well done - an excellent post and pix.

May I suggest a change in the title to reflect the work you've done.

Something like

How to install a rear camera
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:

http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used VW Touareg that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:

http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1, 957 = T2, 958.1 = T3 and 958.2 = T4

#3 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationHarry Hotspur land !
  • Time Online: 168d 5h 27m 5s

Posted 25 October 2018 - 11:09 AM

Great post - thanks for taking the time to do this.

Thread title updated to enable searching and moved to ‘How To’ Guides section.
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#4 User is offline   Greg 

• View gallery
  • LocationPreston,Lancashire
  • Time Online: 9d 11h 29m 29s

Posted 25 October 2018 - 11:50 AM

Very comprehensive post , thanks
VW Touareg 2016 R Line , Reef Blue, parking heater , 100 litre fuel tank ,14 way upgrade leather seats , Westfalia tow bar, sometimes with a canoe on top and with a caravan in tow
Previously VW Touareg 2011 SE in Pearl Black with lots of extras, had for about 5 yrs

#5 User is offline   Tim-P 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationHampshire, UK
  • Time Online: 4d 9h 46m 46s

Posted 05 January 2019 - 07:01 PM

Thank you for the guide it was very useful.

The only bit I did differently, was I lengthened the grey LVDS cable (as it wouldn't reach to the central bulkhead) by unwrapping the orginal cable sheath, making a hole near the top and feeding the LVDS cable back up the sheath attached to a cable tie . . . I did a couple of photos at the end of the attached pdf.
However I do have a problem that I'm hoping some bright spark can help me with . . . . . I have no Yellow guidelines (that move with the steering wheel) on the screen. Yes all dip switches are in the up position, and everything else works correctly (I've fitted one of these to my last T3 too).

Carnaviplayer sent a replacement decoder box and it made no difference. They don't know what else to suggest, saying it must be something unique to my car and have offered a refund.
Has anyone any ideas please? If not, it isn't the end of the world!

file:///C:/Users/Tim/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.jpg
Canyon Grey 2013 245PS Altitude, 43k miles in Dec 18, pano roof, power boot, and Nappa electric seats. DIY mods: Map & firmware upgrade; interior and exterior LEDs incl headlights; dashcam; rear reversing camera; & mudguards.
Previously (until an ‘oh deer’ incident) - RIP Silver T3 Altitude (61) - bought July 2016 (73k), deceased Nov 18 (103k).

#6 User is offline   Klewy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationCheshire
  • Time Online: 3d 16h 28m 29s

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:00 PM

Fitted the kit today, took a darn sight longer than 2.5 hours mind as a module came off the mount under the PDC and took a very long time to refit correctly, not obvious how it's fitted.

Anyway, the kit from CarNaviPlayer has been updated but their instructions haven't. They've changed the plug positioning on the decoder box and also changed a couple of plugs on the leads. Feeding the camera lead through the flexi between the tailgate and car is a real b*****d now as it uses a full size RCA plug. The vast majority of info in this guide however is good with the basic principles of fitting the kit unaltered.

Once I'd confirmed the changes with them I went ahead with the fitting using this guide and a bit of common sense. Works perfectly and also get the moving lines when the steering wheel is turned so all good.
2015 R-Line 262PS in White

Cheshire

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.