RNS 850 - Android Auto and Apple CarPlay retrofitted - myTreg forums - Page 2

myTreg forums: RNS 850 - Android Auto and Apple CarPlay retrofitted - myTreg forums

Chris Knott Insurance - Forum Sponsor
  • 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RNS 850 - Android Auto and Apple CarPlay retrofitted Rate Topic: -----

• Group: Guests

Posted 04 December 2018 - 03:38 PM

robsdesk, on 03 December 2018 - 08:41 PM, said:

I use android auto via USB (You need the addon dongle to do android auto / car play).

The install is quite involved - you need to tap into the infotainment can bus wires and the MMI signal on the back of the unit in the glovebox, and provide a 12v & ground feed. The video connections are plug and play.

You need to be happy to identify the relavent wires and tap into them, nothing too scary but it's not a simple parrot style kit (but is simpler than the Australian system which requires intercepting the touch panel).

Thanks for the reply, I think the only thing that scares me a bit is the identification of the correct wires that you need to tap into. Looks like they are all on the same harness with the exception of the MMI signal. Looks like it shows where to tap into on the floor by the VIN ID.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#22 User is offline   robsdesk 

• View gallery
  • Group: Full Member
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Time Online: 34d 1h 55m 17s

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:40 PM

I tapped the canbus behind the air con unit - much closer (and I couldn't find it by the VIN plate).

For power I went directly to the fuse box.
R Line 262, Deep Black pearlescent, area view & Dynamic CDC

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:48 PM

robsdesk, on 04 December 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

I tapped the canbus behind the air con unit - much closer (and I couldn't find it by the VIN plate).

For power I went directly to the fuse box.

Did you have a wiring diagram to help you identify the wires?

#24 User is offline   robsdesk 

• View gallery
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:40 PM

Yes - I found a better one than provided with the kit. I'm in Athens for a week- will dig it out when I'm home. Principally for the can bus location.

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:13 PM

robsdesk, on 05 December 2018 - 09:40 PM, said:

Yes - I found a better one than provided with the kit. I'm in Athens for a week- will dig it out when I'm home. Principally for the can bus location.

Nice, thank you. Im pretty sure I can do the install if I have that. Maybe I will order it on aliexpress.

#26 User is offline   Batfink 

• Pip
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Time Online: 2h 25m 52s

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:24 PM

Hi all
Loving my Treg but really interested in getting android auto retrofitted to the rns 850 system. I'd be scared of messing up the cameras and current system but wondering if anyone has found somewhere (UK) that would supply and fit?
Great work by Rob but I'm not sure I could do what he has done.
66 plate Touareg R Line plus.
3 litre V6 258 BHP.

#27 User is offline   5alive 

• PipPip
  • LocationLondon, UK
  • Time Online: 14h 33m 1s

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:02 PM

Hi Rob,

What is the touchscreen response time like? For example is typing on an onscreen keyboard a bit of a pain, is it slow to respond? I am trying to choose between what you bought and this:

https://car-solution...-of-2010-my.php

It looks like the one from car-solutions.com requires you to tap into the touchscreen wires directly, whereas you mentioned the one you bought just listens on canbus screen touch events. Therefore I thought there might be more of a delay with the canbus solution.

To be honest I'm surprised all of the screen touch events are available on canbus! How does the OEM system ignore screen presses while you are using the android unit? Have you had any problems with this?

Thanks.

robsdesk, on 03 December 2018 - 08:41 PM, said:

I use android auto via USB (You need the addon dongle to do android auto / car play).

The install is quite involved - you need to tap into the infotainment can bus wires and the MMI signal on the back of the unit in the glovebox, and provide a 12v & ground feed. The video connections are plug and play.

You need to be happy to identify the relavent wires and tap into them, nothing too scary but it's not a simple parrot style kit (but is simpler than the Australian system which requires intercepting the touch panel).

2012 Touareg 245PS 3.0 TDI Air Suspension CDC, Retractable Towbar

#28 User is offline   robsdesk 

• View gallery
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:39 PM

5alive, on 22 July 2019 - 12:02 PM, said:

Hi Rob,

What is the touchscreen response time like? For example is typing on an onscreen keyboard a bit of a pain, is it slow to respond? I am trying to choose between what you bought and this:

https://car-solution...-of-2010-my.php

It looks like the one from car-solutions.com requires you to tap into the touchscreen wires directly, whereas you mentioned the one you bought just listens on canbus screen touch events. Therefore I thought there might be more of a delay with the canbus solution.

To be honest I'm surprised all of the screen touch events are available on canbus! How does the OEM system ignore screen presses while you are using the android unit? Have you had any problems with this?

Thanks.

Hi,

The response time is good - noticeably faster than the native RNS, I get the feeling that the RNS hardware is the cause of the slowness than the screen / touch hardware.

Still going strong here, use it frequently.

Rob

#29 User is offline   obbravo 

• Pip
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Time Online: 1d 11h 32m 55s

Posted 05 September 2019 - 01:44 PM

Hi Treggers,

I've been looking into this for some time and have been inspired by robsdesk's efforts.

It seems the unit he bought on Aliexpress is no longer sold, but I have found a potential alternative.

Link to unit: https://www.aliexpre...3c006qwTZQ&mp=1

The vendor also has a website: https://www.joyeauto...reverse-camera/

And an installation guide (albeit a bit shakycam in parts): https://youtu.be/nNjM6cHhG84

I'm in touch with them to confirm whether their unit supports both wired and wireless CarPlay, as I think wired is better for response speed and battery life conservation.

Once I have a bit more info I'll post again here.

Cheers
2013 R-Line V6 245PS - Black

#30 User is offline   Lupen999 

• PipPip
  • LocationNorthampton, UK
  • Time Online: 7h 28m 56s

Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:38 PM

Hi all... How many people have done this now?? Is it a sound solution?

Thanks,

Paul

#31 User is offline   PokenH00D 

• Pip
  • View gallery
  • LocationMansfield, Nottinghamshire.
  • Time Online: 12h 17m 51s

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:42 PM

obbravo, on 05 September 2019 - 01:44 PM, said:

Hi Treggers,

I've been looking into this for some time and have been inspired by robsdesk's efforts.

It seems the unit he bought on Aliexpress is no longer sold, but I have found a potential alternative.

Link to unit: https://www.aliexpre...3c006qwTZQ&mp=1

The vendor also has a website: https://www.joyeauto...reverse-camera/

And an installation guide (albeit a bit shakycam in parts): https://youtu.be/nNjM6cHhG84

I'm in touch with them to confirm whether their unit supports both wired and wireless CarPlay, as I think wired is better for response speed and battery life conservation.

Once I have a bit more info I'll post again here.

Cheers

I had mine fitted with the hardwire solution, but I use wireless as the usb is in the glovebox is a bit far to reach from the driver’s seat.
2012 Altitude 4.2 V8 TDi Pure White
Air Suspension
Panoramic Roof
Driver Assist Pack
Nav & Rev Camera

Posted Image

#32 User is offline   PokenH00D 

• Pip
  • View gallery
  • LocationMansfield, Nottinghamshire.
  • Time Online: 12h 17m 51s

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:44 PM

Lupen999, on 26 June 2020 - 10:38 PM, said:

Hi all... How many people have done this now?? Is it a sound solution?

Thanks,

Paul

I’ve got the JoyAuto unit installed in mine.
It’s extended my ownership of my Treg.
2012 Altitude 4.2 V8 TDi Pure White
Air Suspension
Panoramic Roof
Driver Assist Pack
Nav & Rev Camera

Posted Image

#33 User is offline   robsdesk 

• View gallery
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:31 AM

Still using mine now, works with remarkably little fuss, zero issues with it at all.

#34 User is offline   saffa 

• PipPip
  • LocationEpsom, Surrey
  • Time Online: 1d 2h 29m 14s

Posted 07 September 2020 - 05:45 AM

I have one of these installed on my Audi A6, and the sound quality was pants to say the least. It really put me off retrofitting this to my Touareg.

But lately the dated RNS is getting a bit annoying.

Are these for the Touareg ok in terms of sound quality?
  • 2017 VW Touareg R Line Plus
  • 2015 Audi A7 TFSI
  • 2017 Porsche Macan 3.0 TDI
  • 2015 VW Touareg R-line 3.0 TDI
  • 2012 Skoda Yeti 4x4 2.0 TDI DSG
  • 2006 Mercedes C-Class C220 Diesel
  • 2004 VW Touareg 3.2 V6
  • 2004 Audi A4 3.0 V6 Quattro
  • 1998 Honda Accord Coupe 3.0 V6

#35 User is offline   Artful 

• Pip
  • LocationNortheast UK
  • Time Online: 18h 46m 29s

Posted 14 November 2020 - 10:44 AM

View Postrobsdesk, on 29 June 2020 - 06:31 AM, said:

Still using mine now, works with remarkably little fuss, zero issues with it at all.

Rob,

Shortly after I bought my 2017 T4 R-Line Plus I installed your modem mod which allows me to use my android phone for calls via Bluetooth and traffic and Google maps work via the modem, all working very well.

I'm now thinking of implementing the Naviplus or Joyeauto mod but want to be clear, does this mean the previous modem mod is redundant and internet access and calls are via the phone ?
Ron

-----------------------------------------------------------
2017 VW Touareg V6 3.0 4Motion R-Line+ 262PS

#36 User is offline   robsdesk 

• View gallery
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2020 - 10:33 AM

It does if you use the android auto interface for navigation etc, you can still use the native RNS 850 navigation (although I tend not to and don't have the router connected any more) and have that do Google maps etc.

#37 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 162d 15h 16m 41s

Posted 15 November 2020 - 11:09 AM

A bit off this topic ("Nothing new there" I hear you say!) but Google maps on my Android phone used to announce speed cameras and now it doesn't.

Is this something I can fix in a Google menu somewhere so I don't have to shout at the chauffeuse to slow down?
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:

http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used VW Touareg that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:

http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1, 957 = T2, 958.1 = T3 and 958.2 = T4

#38 User is offline   robsdesk 

• View gallery
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 November 2020 - 06:32 AM

NoobyT, on 15 November 2020 - 11:09 AM, said:

A bit off this topic ("Nothing new there" I hear you say!) but Google maps on my Android phone used to announce speed cameras and now it doesn't.

Is this something I can fix in a Google menu somewhere so I don't have to shout at the chauffeuse to slow down?

Are you sure that wasn't Waze? Don't remember Google maps having camera warnings (but I may be wrong, Waze does however including the mobile vans and other temporary issues such as accidents)

#39 User is offline   Artful 

• Pip
  • LocationNortheast UK
  • Time Online: 18h 46m 29s

Posted 17 November 2020 - 05:22 PM

robsdesk, on 15 November 2020 - 10:33 AM, said:

It does if you use the android auto interface for navigation etc, you can still use the native RNS 850 navigation (although I tend not to and don't have the router connected any more) and have that do Google maps etc.

Rob,

I'm undecided which unit to go for, if any. We tour with a caravan in Europe and I've always relied on my trusty Tomtom GO920 running the Truck software, the latest Europe Truck maps are available and the routing is good. Unfortunately it's not available on Android so I'm trying out the Sygic Truck version on my phone as an alternative, considering that I may be able to run the app directly via the Naviplus or Joyeauto mod. Would that be possible and if so would it run from an SD card in the addon? Based on the posts I believe you opted for a unit similar to the Joyeauto which I am thinking would be the best option for me, cheaper and slightly easier to install. Do you know if you can access the internet via a SIM in the Joyeauto but calls via the android phone?
Ron

2017 VW Touareg V6 3.0 4Motion R-Line+ 262PS

#40 User is offline   robsdesk 

• View gallery
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 17 November 2020 - 05:32 PM

The native android tablet interface (on mine, others will vary) is pretty poor - I never use it, do everything by Android auto, mine does have WiFi so could tether from a phone.

I use the native RNS for Bluetooth hands free - as it came from the factory, it pops up on the android auto interface, works fine.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chris Knott Insurance - Forum Sponsor

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.