2017 262 R-Line changes down from 8th to 7th at the slightest throttle movement - myTreg forums

myTreg forums: 2017 262 R-Line changes down from 8th to 7th at the slightest throttle movement - myTreg forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2017 262 R-Line changes down from 8th to 7th at the slightest throttle movement Sitting at 70mph, slightest touch on throttle the car changes down Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   sks 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Member
  • LocationNewark, Nottinghamshire, UK
  • Time Online: 19h 1m 2s

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:58 PM

I have had 2 Touareg R-Lines before my lovely new black 2017 spec 262 R-Line Plus delivered in Dec 16. With the previous cars, I have driven steadily and achieved pretty good economy in the past (around 35-38mpg, sometimes around 40). My journeys mostly tend to be motorways and 100 to 200 miles each time.

I was very disappointed with the new car only achieving 25-28mpg at first and (now it has covered 1700 miles) around 30mpg. All similar driving to the above.

On top of this it has a very annoying tendancy to change down from 8th to 7th gear when you want to make minor speed adjustments. For example, driving along at 70mph, you might have to ease off slightly for a second or two to adjust the distance to the car ahead and then the instant you apply the throttle again (just the tiniest amount), to bring the car back to 70mph (from say 65mph) the car changes down to 7th gear and then straight back to 8th.

It's not just at that speed either - any speed where the car is cruising in 8th, the slightest touch on the throttle causes 7th gear to be selected. I believe this is causing the poor fuel economy too.

The dealer has carried out the requisite resets and VW technical have advised them to compare with another similar 2017 car. We tried with a 2016 model and this behaved like my previous ones, that is remained in 8th until the throttle was pressed down significantly.

Has anyone with the 2017 software experienced this and what are your thoughts please?

And that new Start/Stop stopping the car when it is still moving at 2 or 3 mph should not be allowed. I find it dangerous as the power steering is gone the instamt the engine is stopped.

Just to add - I am referring D8 and D7. I am not in sport mode.
2017 R-Line Plus 262PS in Deep Black Pearl with Nappa Leather, 21" Mallory wheels
Previous: 2015 245PS R-Line in Special White
Previous: 2013 245PS R-Line in Special White
Previous: 2009 3.0L DPF Altitude in Black Pearl

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   roytour 

• Elite Member
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMontauriol, France
  • Time Online: 95d 11h 24m 47s

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:39 PM

View Postsks, on 27 January 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

I have had 2 Touaregs R-Lines before my lovely new black 2017 spec 262 R-Line Plus delivered in Dec 16. With the previous cars, I have driven steady and achieved pretty good economy in the past (around 35-38mpg, sometimes around 40). My journeys mostly tend to be motorways and 100 to 200 miles each time.

I was very disappointed with the new car only achieving 25-28mpg at first and (now it has covered 1700 miles) around 30mpg. All similar driving to the above.

On top of this it has a very annoying tendancy to change down from 8th to 7th gear when you want to make minor speed adjustments. For example, driving along at 70mph, you might have to ease of slightly for a second or two to adjust the distance to the car ahead and then the instant you apply the throttle again (just the tiniest amount), to bring the car back to 70mph (from say 65mph) the car changes down to 7th gear and then straight back to 8th.

It's not just at that speed either - any speed where the car is cruising in 8th, the slightest touch on the throttle causes 7th gear to be selected. I believe this is causing the poor fuel economy too.

The dealer has carried out the requisite resets and VW technical have advised them to compare with another similar 2017 car. We tried with a 2016 model and this behaved like my previous ones, that is remained in 8th until the throttle was pressed down significantly.

Has anyone with the 2017 software experienced this and what are your thoughts please?

And that new Start/Stop stopping the car when it is still moving at 2 or 3 mph should not be allowed. I find it dangerous as the power steering is gone the instamt the engine is stopped.

Hi SKS , and welcome to myTreg.com; that's a nice setup you have there!

If you could put your vehicle details in your signature that would help members with model specific issues.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

To search use google with; [site:www.mytreg.com <search words>] for your questions as they may have been asked before, please beware that the site search needs 4 or more letter words, (no limit with the Google search).

Please post your question once in the appropriate discussion forum appropriate to your model and use the topic title & description to briefly summarise the problem. This will assist others and provide for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

New members and guests can use the 'View New Content' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar, as a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were last on the forum.

Although you already have your Touareg; please read this excellent buyers guide as it will familiarise you with common issues you may experience during the ownership of your vehicle.

Every member has a gallery area in their profile and we love to see photos of your Touareg in action.

Kind Regards
The Admin Team.
2014 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in titan black, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Retractable Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare, Area View, Rear sunblinds, Parking Heater, heated front windscreen, Google Earth - oh yes and a heated steering wheel :)

Gone but not forgotten - 58 plate altitude v6 3.0 240ps

#3 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 162d 20h 14m 46s

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:05 PM

Have you tried a gearbox reset? Only takes 10 seconds.
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:

http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used VW Touareg that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:

http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1, 957 = T2, 958.1 = T3 and 958.2 = T4

#4 User is offline   chaser 

• Mechanical Guru
  • Time Online: 95d 3h 56m 30s

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:30 PM

No indication of this fault on mine and I tend to drive at around 65mph most of the time roads permitting. Your comparison as advised by VW technical seems to confirm there is a fault, what are they proposing to do next?
Chaser...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current... Touareg R-Line Plus 3.0 V6 TDI 262PS 8-Speed Auto Tiptronic (from new). Area View, Canyon Grey Metallic, 21" Mallory Alloys, Dynamic CDC Air Suspension, Piano black decorative inlays with retrofit black surrounds on dashboard. 4way Electric R-Line Branded Two Tone Sports Seats in Nappa Leather, Memory Pack, Factory Tow Pack, Ambient Light Pack etc, etc,

Previous... Pure White 2014 Touareg V6
R-Line 3.0Tdi 245ps 8-speed Auto Tiptronic (from new). Factory swivelling tow pack. Fully wired 13pin electrics. 9x20" Pikes Peak alloys. Piano black decorative inlays. Interior ambient light pack. Reversing camera.

Before that... Salt Lake Grey 2006 Touareg 2.5 Tdi SE Sport Auto (from 26k miles)

#5 User is offline   jorglund 

• Pip
  • LocationSweden
  • Time Online: 1d 12h 20m 25s

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:34 PM

View Postsks, on 27 January 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

I have had 2 Touaregs R-Lines before my lovely new black 2017 spec 262 R-Line Plus delivered in Dec 16. With the previous cars, I have driven steady and achieved pretty good economy in the past (around 35-38mpg, sometimes around 40). My journeys mostly tend to be motorways and 100 to 200 miles each time.

On top of this it has a very annoying tendancy to change down from 8th to 7th gear when you want to make minor speed adjustments. For example, driving along at 70mph, you might have to ease of slightly for a second or two to adjust the distance to the car ahead and then the instant you apply the throttle again (just the tiniest amount), to bring the car back to 70mph (from say 65mph) the car changes down to 7th gear and then straight back to 8th.

Hi!

I have the same Treg as you, and i have experied the same thing with changing down from 8th to 7th gear all to quickly. I have now being driving it for about 8000Km and the gearbox is much better and not shifting down so quickly anymore.
I was concerned in the beginning but it was changing the behavior in about 5000Km and geting much better now.

The consumption has also being better now, about 0,75-0,8 Litres per 10Km compared to 0,8-0,95 the first 5000Km

Please excuse me for my poor English..

Regards
Jörgen.
to be delivered in Aug 2019: Touareg V6 Tdi MY2019
Touareg V6 Tdi R-Line sport (262) MY2017

#6 User is offline   Mr Brightside 

• LocationSuffolk
  • Time Online: 3d 14h 58m 12s

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:48 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure I am, as I don't even own a Treg yet), but 8th gear will be an 'overdrive' gear and I doubt it'd be used for any acceleration, just cruising at a constant speed? Hence why the drop down then back up? The more gears, the more changes....That's just my thinking, I'm sure someone with much more xperience in these will be alone very soon...

Maybe it's just updated software that makes the box act more efficiently?
Currently - 2014 Insignia. Changing V soon for a T3 R Line...

#7 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery
  • LocationSouth Staffordshire
  • Time Online: 436d 13h 39m

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:36 PM

View PostMr Brightside, on 27 January 2017 - 09:48 PM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure I am, as I don't even own a Treg yet), but 8th gear will be an 'overdrive' gear and I doubt it'd be used for any acceleration, just cruising at a constant speed? Hence why the drop down then back up? The more gears, the more changes....That's just my thinking, I'm sure someone with much more xperience in these will be alone very soon...

Maybe it's just updated software that makes the box act more efficiently?

Modern cars have several "overdrive" gears, not just top gear - my 2016 model year Touareg doesn't change down out of D8 readily even under moderate acceleration - indeed, it'll hold D8 towing most of the time.

I wonder how much throttle is being used - I find that overtaking a 40mph vehicle in a 60mph limit gets me up to the wrong side of 80mph even on part throttle, using the principle of "out & back" as quickly as possible - if I used full throttle, I'm sure it would change down more.
2016 MY Touareg SE 262 - Reef Blue

#8 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery
  • LocationHarry Hotspur land !
  • Time Online: 169d 9h 43m 37s

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:09 AM

Notwithstanding VW's reaction to ensure that no more of their cars fall foul of emission regs, I'm wondering if VW have applied some software changes to the current vehicles which is adversely affecting consumption and performance.

The coasting function may well explain the low speed drive disengagement and this is not something I have experience of or would desire in my car.

I'm with chaser here - what is your dealer going to do about it :huh:

Have a read up on UK consumer law - the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which gives you a right of rejection as well as replacement or repair. Remember your contract is with the selling dealer, not VW ;)

http://www.which.co....umer-rights-act
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#9 User is offline   roytour 

• Elite Member
  • View gallery
  • LocationMontauriol, France
  • Time Online: 95d 11h 24m 47s

Posted 28 January 2017 - 07:58 AM

I potter around all day 50-60 which just gets you into 8th, on flat roads slow acceleration I pop into 8th generally at 50 or 51, it will then happily sit there unless i get a load from a hill, if i live dangerous and accelerate with patience up to 70,80 it will stay in 8th of course a more pressing change will result in a drop but that is rare.
2014 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in titan black, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Retractable Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare, Area View, Rear sunblinds, Parking Heater, heated front windscreen, Google Earth - oh yes and a heated steering wheel :)

Gone but not forgotten - 58 plate altitude v6 3.0 240ps

#10 User is offline   sks 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:23 AM

Thanks to all for their commnents.

I notice that some people are saying their cars stay in 8th when gently accelerating. My previous two 245 R-Lines did as well as did the 2016 model I drove this week at the dealership (which was put forward by them as a comparator).

VW technical have since apparently advised the master tech at the dealership that there has been a significant change in software from the 2016 to the 2017 model and they have now firmly pointed the tech away from comparing with the 2016 model and said they must compare with another 2017 example. I don't recall the exact software version numbers that the master tech mentioned to me but it was something like the 2016 model has 2.8.something and mine has 3.1.something... That kind of change in major version number suggests significant changes.

What I forgot to mention in my first post is this: When using the cruise control lever to add 5mph (e.g. from 65-70mph), the car remains in 8th as I would expect. The acceleration, as experienced with my previous Touaregs, is fairly rapid, taking just 3 or 4 seconds to add 5mph. Trying to do this instead with your right foot, without the car changing down to 7th, is impossible, however gentle I try to ease my foot down on the throttle. I asked the dealership whether they felt this suggested a throttle position sensor fault? Their reaction was that they must follow the instructions from VW technical.

You can also "hold" the car in 7th, without gaining speed, with the right foot as the only way it pops back to 8th is by easing off again. Like with anything, you get the "feel" of the throttle. When you do this it gives you chance to glance at the current consumption and note that it has dropped by about 25% and this is I believe where the poor economy is coming from.

Can you still do a gearbox reset on this model NoobyT? I believe they should have done this anyway as instructed by VW technical - the dealership seems to not act on its own but follows the step by step instructions of VW, however painstakingly drawn out this may seem to be.

Regarding rejection Cass - the car is on contract hire from VW Finance. I raised several concerns well within 30 days of receipt of the car and as yet several remain outstanding:

Start/Stop kicks in while the car is stil rolling (which I now gather is a new standard "feature").
The car changes between 8th and 7th and back to 8th sometimes even when the right foot moves slightly going over a bump or undulation in the road. It always changes when making minor speed adjustments at around 70mph (110kph).
The fuel economy is dreadful compared to previous experience of driving 100,000 miles in two earlier 245 R-Lines.

Once we got past the ususal "it's the way you drive" comments and they tested and reported no fault found, they started to take my suggestion of rejection of the car more seriously. Time is moving on though and I fear they are just making efforts to prove it is merely a characteristic of the 2017 car meaning there is no fault. Hence, my reason for asking for the opinions of others.

The dealership are next going to drive a 2017 model and report back their findings. Rejecting the car is a last resort as I need a car for business and waiting for another new Touareg is a non-starter. However, I am very close to doing this and buying something second hand which would be a massive shame.
2017 R-Line Plus 262PS in Deep Black Pearl with Nappa Leather, 21" Mallory wheels

#11 User is offline   sks 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:29 AM

View Postjorglund, on 27 January 2017 - 09:34 PM, said:

Hi!

I have the same Treg as you, and i have experied the same thing with changing down from 8th to 7th gear all to quickly. I have now being driving it for about 8000Km and the gearbox is much better and not shifting down so quickly anymore.
I was concerned in the beginning but it was changing the behavior in about 5000Km and geting much better now.

The consumption has also being better now, about 0,75-0,8 Litres per 10Km compared to 0,8-0,95 the first 5000Km

Please excuse me for my poor English..

Regards
Jörgen.

Jorglund your English is fine and thank you for your reply.

Did you ask your dealer to investigate why the car was changing down to 7th so quickly?

#12 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery
  • LocationHarry Hotspur land !
  • Time Online: 169d 9h 43m 37s

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:05 AM

View Postsks, on 28 January 2017 - 09:23 AM, said:

Regarding rejection Cass - the car is on contract hire from VW Finance. I raised several concerns well within 30 days of receipt of the car and as yet several remain outstanding:

Start/Stop kicks in while the car is stil rolling (which I now gather is a new standard "feature").
The car changes between 8th and 7th and back to 8th sometimes even when the right foot moves slightly going over a bump or undulation in the road. It always changes when making minor speed adjustments at around 70mph (110kph).
The fuel economy is dreadful compared to previous experience of driving 100,000 miles in two earlier 245 R-Lines.

Once we got past the ususal "it's the way you drive" comments and they tested and reported no fault found, they started to take my suggestion of rejection of the car more seriously. Time is moving on though and I fear they are just making efforts to prove it is merely a characteristic of the 2017 car meaning there is no fault. Hence, my reason for asking for the opinions of others.

The dealership are next going to drive a 2017 model and report back their findings. Rejecting the car is a last resort as I need a car for business and waiting for another new Touareg is a non-starter. However, I am very close to doing this and buying something second hand which would be a massive shame.

VW will act as a conduit and advise the dealer which tasks to perform, however it is likely that they will eventually report that the car is driving normally.

There are clear differences between the T3 and the T4 and you are not the first owner to complain about poor/reduced fuel consumption from the T4. I doubt that VW would formally explain the difference in operating firmware/software but it could be related to the recent VW emissions scandal and the changes VW have needed to make to comply with the regulations.

I would put the dealer on notice, in writing, that you are considering formally rejecting this car. This may speed up theirresponse to undertaking their own driving assessment of the T4, However inconvenient it may be, you either stick with the current car and await the lead from VW in incremental fault finding, which may or may not assist/remedy your complaint, or you reject it and move on. The longer you leave it or prevaricate, the weaker your position becomes.

I'm sure that in the case if the T3, the gear ratios of 7 and 8 are less than 6, so they are essentially 'overdrive' gears which give the car better mpg when cruising. That may well also be the case with the T4 but it seems that the drivability is different due to the current firmware/software deployed.

You might find that writing to the consumer editor of a premium motoring magazine helps in pushing the matter on, but at that stage, VW and the dealer will most likely cease communicating with you.

Best advice is to firmly decide what you want to do and stick with it - delaying just weakens your hand and may force you into a compromise. Whatever you decide, put your decision in writing and give the dealer a fixed time to resolve the issue, say 7 or 14 days. This is fair to them and you.
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#13 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:27 AM

View PostCass, on 28 January 2017 - 10:05 AM, said:

VW will act as a conduit and advise the dealer which tasks to perform, however it is likely that they will eventually report that the car is driving normally.

There are clear differences between the T3 and the T4 and you are not the first owner to complain about poor/reduced fuel consumption from the T4. I doubt that VW would formally explain the difference in operating firmware/software but it could be related to the recent VW emissions scandal and the changes VW have needed to make to comply with the regulations.

I would put the dealer on notice, in writing, that you are considering formally rejecting this car. This may speed up theirresponse to undertaking their own driving assessment of the T4, However inconvenient it may be, you either stick with the current car and await the lead from VW in incremental fault finding, which may or may not assist/remedy your complaint, or you reject it and move on. The longer you leave it or prevaricate, the weaker your position becomes.

I'm sure that in the case if the T3, the gear ratios of 7 and 8 are less than 6, so they are essentially 'overdrive' gears which give the car better mpg when cruising. That may well also be the case with the T4 but it seems that the drivability is different due to the current firmware/software deployed.

You might find that writing to the consumer editor of a premium motoring magazine helps in pushing the matter on, but at that stage, VW and the dealer will most likely cease communicating with you.

Best advice is to firmly decide what you want to do and stick with it - delaying just weakens your hand and may force you into a compromise. Whatever you decide, put your decision in writing and give the dealer a fixed time to resolve the issue, say 7 or 14 days. This is fair to them and you.

There does though seem to be a difference between T4s from 2014-2016 model years and the current T4 2017 model year.

If this is a software update to comply more fully with Euro 6, then I, and others, would have concerns that this update may be applied retrospectively to the 2014-2016 T4s next time the car is in for service.

#14 User is offline   chaser 

• Mechanical Guru

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:20 PM

VW technical have since apparently advised the master tech at the dealership that there has been a significant change in software from the 2016 to the 2017 model and they have now firmly pointed the tech away from comparing with the 2016 model and said they must compare with another 2017 example. I don't recall the exact software version numbers that the master tech mentioned to me but it was something like the 2016 model has 2.8.something and mine has 3.1.something... That kind of change in major version number suggests significant changes.

My car is a 2017 model year built in week 40/2016. TCM sofware version can be checked with VCDS scan as below.

--
Address 02: Auto Trans (J217) Labels: 0C8-927-755.clb
Part No SW: 0C8 927 755 C HW: 0C8 927 755
Component: AL1000 AISIN 130 2881
Coding: 010100011C008400000000000000000000000000
Shop #: WSC 31414 790 00001
ASAM Dataset: EV_TCMAL991031 003118
ROD: EV_TCMAL991031_003.rod
VCID: 316D58AE60D8B0CA76-8064

No fault code found.
--

Now you've got me hoping this turns out to be a fault and not software related. I'll be watching this thread and any others on this subject...i've got a car i'm happy with and dont want VW ruining it !
If need be ill fit a lock on the diagnostic port when it goes in for service to prevent them updating.
Chaser...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current... Touareg R-Line Plus 3.0 V6 TDI 262PS 8-Speed Auto Tiptronic (from new). Area View, Canyon Grey Metallic, 21" Mallory Alloys, Dynamic CDC Air Suspension, Piano black decorative inlays with retrofit black surrounds on dashboard. 4way Electric R-Line Branded Two Tone Sports Seats in Nappa Leather, Memory Pack, Factory Tow Pack, Ambient Light Pack etc, etc,

R-Line 3.0Tdi 245ps 8-speed Auto Tiptronic (from new). Factory swivelling tow pack. Fully wired 13pin electrics. 9x20" Pikes Peak alloys. Piano black decorative inlays. Interior ambient light pack. Reversing camera.

Before that... Salt Lake Grey 2006 Touareg 2.5 Tdi SE Sport Auto (from 26k miles)

#15 User is offline   sks 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:28 PM

View PostCass, on 28 January 2017 - 10:05 AM, said:

I completely agree with Cass. I feel in a weaker position day by day! I will see what Monday brings. Hopefully the news that the 2017 they try is not behaving like mine but as we expect that will not be the case. I can't live with it as is so will have to reject and as you say, move on.

#16 User is offline   sks 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

View Postchaser, on 28 January 2017 - 02:20 PM, said:

My car is a 2017 model year built in week 40/2016. TCM sofware version can be checked with VCDS scan as below.

--
Address 02: Auto Trans (J217) Labels: 0C8-927-755.clb
Part No SW: 0C8 927 755 C HW: 0C8 927 755
Component: AL1000 AISIN 130 2881
Coding: 010100011C008400000000000000000000000000
Shop #: WSC 31414 790 00001
ASAM Dataset: EV_TCMAL991031 003118
ROD: EV_TCMAL991031_003.rod
VCID: 316D58AE60D8B0CA76-8064

No fault code found.
--

Now you've got me hoping this turns out to be a fault and not software related. I'll be watching this thread and any others on this subject...i've got a car i'm happy with and dont want VW ruining it !
If need be ill fit a lock on the diagnostic port when it goes in for service to prevent them updating.

I will update this thread so you and others can be reassured (one way or the other).

Mine was built week 45 of 2016.

Is there another way to get that version info without VCDS (which I don't have)? Would there be a code or something on the label in the handbook for instance which at least would indicate the version it was delivered with?

Just to be absolutely clear though, I take it you can accelerate in 8th at 65-70mph and the car remains in 8th (unless you apply significant throttle when it would change down to 7th or even 6th of course). I am sure (and hopeful) that is going to be a yes....

#17 User is offline   chaser 

• Mechanical Guru

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:38 PM

I don't know of any other way of checking the software version.
Yes I have read your symptoms carefully and can confirm that I don't experience the unnecessary downshifts at all. In fact in this respect it doesn't drive any differently to my previous 2014 245 R Line.

Chaser...

#18 User is offline   Mike597 

• Location.
  • Time Online: 13d 15h 23m 58s

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

I don't recall the exact software version numbers that the master tech mentioned to me but it was something like the 2016 model has 2.8.something and mine has 3.1.something... That kind of change in major version number suggests significant changes.

A major revision number semantically indicates a breaking change i.e. a non-compatibility. Typically in software this would indicate an API revision that is not backwards compatible. In controller software, this might indicate that it requires a specific hardware set up and would not work on prior hardware. In plain English this suggests the software for the 2017 version would not work on 2016 version (and probably vice versa).

#19 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:10 PM

View PostMike597, on 28 January 2017 - 08:02 PM, said:

A major revision number semantically indicates a breaking change i.e. a non-compatibility. Typically in software this would indicate an API revision that is not backwards compatible. In controller software, this might indicate that it requires a specific hardware set up and would not work on prior hardware. In plain English this suggests the software for the 2017 version would not work on 2016 version (and probably vice versa).

Depends on the supplier - new Windows versions don't generally require new hardware - my PC security system has been continuously upgraded from 5 to 9.

#20 User is offline   ChrisMcCann 

• LocationBelfast, NI
  • Time Online: 2d 4h 20m 45s

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:09 PM

This is an interesting thread. My car has been in the hands of VW twice lately and they've confirmed it's all up to date on software. I wouldn't swear by it but I'm not sure the mpg is the same.

I haven't noticed the 8th gear issue at cruising speed. Doing a few hundred miles next Friday and will test.

However the auto stop start is a disaster. Barely ever kicks in but when it does it's when the car is still moving as you slow down. The issue this has is not only power steering kicks off but the car shudders to a stop rather than smoothly stopping. If you ease off the pedal to allow a smoother stop the engine reengages which is as equally annoying. Stop start should not be kicking in while moving. Ridiculous. Any way to change this
Jul-15 VW Touareg R-Line 3.0L TDi 262PS BMT Reef Blue Metallic 20" Tarragona Wheels

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chris Knott Insurance - Forum Sponsor

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.