• You cannot reply to this topic

Water leak 2014 T3 It's rather wet inside! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Caladan 

• Group: Full Member
  • LocationSurrey
  • Time Online: 20d 9h 13m 4s

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:32 AM

Hi Guys

Noticed water in the drivers footwell a few days ago - thought it was wife's wet wellies, but on Fri morning the rubber mat was swimming. Saturday am I could not open the doors with the remote - just the tailgate. Crawled in and opened door, and the battery is flat. Can see water dripping down from underside of dash (near fusebox!). Assume it is either the sunroof or windscreen? Cannot see any pooling under the bonnet...

Anyone experienced this please?

Caladan
Current: 3.0L R-line White, Moonrock Vienna seats, piano black inserts, CDC, air-bag pack, parking heater/heated screen, towbar, Dynaudio, sun-blinds, blind spot assist, traffic sign recog., aerial view, dynamic light assist, Pikes Peak Summers, Karakum Winters.
Previous: Touareg V10

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   Caladan 

• LocationSurrey

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:22 PM

OK - the fabric trim running up the side of the windscreen is wet, and that has been dripping water down in the vicinity of the fuse box. Opened the sunroof after charging the battery for a while and the drain hole is clear on the drivers side - no pooling of water - presumably the drain tube runs down that pillar, in which case it must either be broken or a joint has come apart? The other end may of course be blocked but does anyone know where it exits (wheel arch??) please?

Thanks

Caladan
Current: 3.0L R-line White, Moonrock Vienna seats, piano black inserts, CDC, air-bag pack, parking heater/heated screen, towbar, Dynaudio, sun-blinds, blind spot assist, traffic sign recog., aerial view, dynamic light assist, Pikes Peak Summers, Karakum Winters.

#3 User is offline   Greg 

• View gallery
  • LocationPreston,Lancashire
  • Time Online: 9d 11h 43m 18s

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:41 PM

Caladan, on 16 January 2017 - 12:22 PM, said:

OK - the fabric trim running up the side of the windscreen is wet, and that has been dripping water down in the vicinity of the fuse box. Opened the sunroof after charging the battery for a while and the drain hole is clear on the drivers side - no pooling of water - presumably the drain tube runs down that pillar, in which case it must either be broken or a joint has come apart? The other end may of course be blocked but does anyone know where it exits (wheel arch??) please?

Thanks

Caladan

Hi Caladan

I had this issue a few years back on the opposite side of the car , in my case it was the sunroof as you say , tried to clean the tube out with plastic coat wire but
in the end had to take it in and it was a broken connection ( tube to the sunroof ) that was the problem , is it still under warranty ?

VW Touareg 2016 R Line , Reef Blue, parking heater , 100 litre fuel tank ,14 way upgrade leather seats , Westfalia tow bar, sometimes with a canoe on top and with a caravan in tow
Previously VW Touareg 2011 SE in Pearl Black with lots of extras, had for about 5 yrs

#4 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 166d 3h 11m 44s

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

Is it a sun roof or a panoramic jobbie?
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:
http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg and here:
https://www.autoevol...swagen/touareg/

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used Generation 1 VW Touareg [T1 & T2 2002-10] that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:
http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1; 957 = T2; 958.1 = T3; 958.2 = T4; 9YA = T5
Brilliant site with a lot of information and many photos of all the Cayenne models since launch! https://www.stuttcar...ls/cayenne/958/

#5 User is offline   Greg 

• View gallery
  • LocationPreston,Lancashire
  • Time Online: 9d 11h 43m 18s

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:34 PM

NoobyT, on 16 January 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

Is it a sun roof or a panoramic jobbie?

Only pano on the T3 / T4 , they are a pain and shouldn't be failing at that age !
VW Touareg 2016 R Line , Reef Blue, parking heater , 100 litre fuel tank ,14 way upgrade leather seats , Westfalia tow bar, sometimes with a canoe on top and with a caravan in tow
Previously VW Touareg 2011 SE in Pearl Black with lots of extras, had for about 5 yrs

#6 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery
  • LocationSouth Staffordshire
  • Time Online: 449d 17h 14m 53s

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:02 PM

Caladan, on 16 January 2017 - 10:32 AM, said:

Hi Guys

Noticed water in the drivers footwell a few days ago - thought it was wife's wet wellies, but on Fri morning the rubber mat was swimming. Saturday am I could not open the doors with the remote - just the tailgate. Crawled in and opened door, and the battery is flat. Can see water dripping down from underside of dash (near fusebox!). Assume it is either the sunroof or windscreen? Cannot see any pooling under the bonnet...

Anyone experienced this please?

Caladan

It's the panoramic sunroof drains - the sunroof frame has to be replaced with a modified design (why that's not fitted in production I don't know) - had mine done last summer, at just 9 months old - your dealer's probably done several, mine had.

http://www.mytreg.co...e-has-occurred/
2016 MY Touareg SE 262 - Reef Blue

#7 User is offline   Caladan 

• LocationSurrey

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for all the useful comments. Water is not pooling in the sunroof gutter - no obstruction to the drain I can see, so either the pipe has cracked or has become detached from the gutter as a guess based on other experiences recounted above.

Have a large umbrella through the sunroof to keep the water at bay and the charger on trying to get some ommph in the battery to take to the dealers...

VW warranty expired on 1st Jan 2017! With WD now for 3 years Luxury care, but they are unsure as to whether it is covered..

Just seeing if I can get it started to take to Lookers in Guildford or it is going to have to be a tow truck.

Many thanks for the helpful contributions.

Caladan

#8 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationHarry Hotspur land !
  • Time Online: 170d 18h 22m 12s

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:10 PM

What a bummer Caladan - hope you get the warranty issue sorted ;)

BTW - have you actually used the pano roof much during your ownership :huh:
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#9 User is offline   Mike597 

• Location.
  • Time Online: 13d 15h 39m 26s

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:33 PM

#10 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:55 PM

Caladan, on 16 January 2017 - 04:54 PM, said:

Thanks for all the useful comments. Water is not pooling in the sunroof gutter - no obstruction to the drain I can see, so either the pipe has cracked or has become detached from the gutter as a guess based on other experiences recounted above.

Have a large umbrella through the sunroof to keep the water at bay and the charger on trying to get some ommph in the battery to take to the dealers...

VW warranty expired on 1st Jan 2017! With WD now for 3 years Luxury care, but they are unsure as to whether it is covered..

Just seeing if I can get it started to take to Lookers in Guildford or it is going to have to be a tow truck.

Caladan

According to my dealer's service advisor the drain outlet in the frame becomes detached from the drain tube in the pillars - the modified frame fitted has better method of securing the drains to the down pipe, as I was told.

#11 User is offline   Mike597 

• Location.

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:24 AM

Black Grouse, on 16 January 2017 - 06:55 PM, said:

According to my dealer's service advisor the drain outlet in the frame becomes detached from the drain tube in the pillars - the modified frame fitted has better method of securing the drains to the down pipe, as I was told.

This was exactly what my dealer diagnosed as the possible problem sight unseen. If it had have been that problem they would not have changed the cassette they now have apparently am improved way to reattach the hoses only. They wanted around £300 just to diagnose the problem and confirmed if it was the hoses detaching it was unlikely to be warranty covered. This is why I pulled the liner down myself to eliminate this possibility.

#12 User is offline   Loz 

• View gallery
  • LocationBerkeley UK
  • Time Online: 306d 10h 18m 38s

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:58 AM

Mike597, on 17 January 2017 - 08:24 AM, said:

they now have apparently am improved way to reattach the hoses only. They wanted around £300 just to diagnose the problem

a £300 cable tie :)
Regards Loz

VW California T6 MY17 204 DSG 4motion in Blackberry
Vag-Com if anyone in area needs to use it...
(previous)2011 T3 Escape - 2010 Tiguan R-Line 170 - 2010 Golf 170GTD DSG - Landcruiser 78 series(Troopie)
(previous)2009 Golf 140GT DSG - 2007 Shogun Warrior 3.2 SWB - 2001 Discovery 2
(previous)1999 Audi 2.4SE Avant....>>>>>>> way back.. Ford Mk1 Capri

Tip! Search this forum using google with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

#13 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:43 AM

Loz, on 17 January 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

a £300 cable tie :)

Plus the cost of two complete frames and sunblinds in my case!

#14 User is offline   roytour 

• Elite Member
  • View gallery
  • LocationMontauriol, France
  • Time Online: 95d 11h 57m 14s

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:03 PM

should we go for a pre emtive strike ?
2014 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in titan black, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Retractable Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare, Area View, Rear sunblinds, Parking Heater, heated front windscreen, Google Earth - oh yes and a heated steering wheel :)

Gone but not forgotten - 58 plate altitude v6 3.0 240ps

#15 User is offline   Mike597 

• Location.

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:24 PM

#16 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:06 PM

Mike597, on 17 January 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

Pretty much. A couple of hours labour to remove and refit the headlining. I hate working on trim but I also hate paying dealer prices from simple jobs. My tight wallet won that battle.

Mine was scheduled for 5 days, one of which was a 24 hour water test - it took 3 weeks!

#17 User is offline   Mike597 

• Location.

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:13 PM

#18 User is offline   Caladan 

• LocationSurrey

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:17 PM

Caladan, on 16 January 2017 - 04:54 PM, said:

Caladan

Well with rain stopping, the battery did charge fully. And it is with Lookers to investigate. Service manager thought that the A pillar and the headlining would have to be stripped to get at the junction between the drain pipe (which looks a robust black affair - you can see it just in the corner with the fuse-box cover removed) and the sunroof gutter.

Service manager also said that there had been issues when they block and freeze.

I am sure it is going to take more than a week to sort because the carpets are going to have to be lifted / dehumidified etc.

What a pain VW. Lookers were kind to look at it this week because as usual the w/s is booked out.

Caladan

#19 User is offline   Caladan 

• LocationSurrey

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:10 PM

Well here is the latest in the sorry saga. After a week at Lookers Guildford, they have stripped the front part of the headlining, and cannot see a leak where the hose fits onto the gutter spigot. The hoses themselves are rubber reinforced items so unlikely they would split. Water is appearing a few inches behind the spigot on the black plastic gutter housing but a tiny amount compared to the deluge in the drivers well when we had the snow a few weeks back (which makes me wonder if temp has an impact, although it went to the alps in horrendous snow before without issue). They are talking about replacing the gutter (hard to believe it is cracked given the rigidity of the tailored blanks used in the Touareg's roof construction) or a new cassette and £5K but have been directed by VW to take the whole headlining down to examine further - and the service manager says he has to follow their instructions else any possibility of them making a contribution to fixing a car 2 weeks out of warranty disappears. Of course WD do not cover sunroofs (obvious an exclusion born from bitter experience).

I responded that as MOTs are probably going to 4 years now, I think a judge will expect non-wear and tear items to last more than 3 years and 30K miles on a £50K car....

If I have it back in 2 weeks I will be lucky.

It has to be said that Lookers workshop is packed so they are at least trying to fit it in around their scheduled work.

But my ski trip next week has been put on ice:-(

Caladan

#20 User is offline   roytour 

• Elite Member
  • View gallery
  • LocationMontauriol, France
  • Time Online: 95d 11h 57m 14s

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:31 PM

Caladan, on 25 January 2017 - 06:10 PM, said:

Well here is the latest in the sorry saga. After a week at Lookers Guildford, they have stripped the front part of the headlining, and cannot see a leak where the hose fits onto the gutter spigot. The hoses themselves are rubber reinforced items so unlikely they would split. Water is appearing a few inches behind the spigot on the black plastic gutter housing but a tiny amount compared to the deluge in the drivers well when we had the snow a few weeks back (which makes me wonder if temp has an impact, although it went to the alps in horrendous snow before without issue). They are talking about replacing the gutter (hard to believe it is cracked given the rigidity of the tailored blanks used in the Touareg's roof construction) or a new cassette and £5K but have been directed by VW to take the whole headlining down to examine further - and the service manager says he has to follow their instructions else any possibility of them making a contribution to fixing a car 2 weeks out of warranty disappears. Of course WD do not cover sunroofs (obvious an exclusion born from bitter experience).

I responded that as MOTs are probably going to 4 years now, I think a judge will expect non-wear and tear items to last more than 3 years and 30K miles on a £50K car....

If I have it back in 2 weeks I will be lucky.

It has to be said that Lookers workshop is packed so they are at least trying to fit it in around their scheduled work.

But my ski trip next week has been put on ice:-(

Caladan

Buy Probie's off him and resell after your ski trip
2014 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in titan black, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Retractable Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare, Area View, Rear sunblinds, Parking Heater, heated front windscreen, Google Earth - oh yes and a heated steering wheel :)

Gone but not forgotten - 58 plate altitude v6 3.0 240ps

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chris Knott Insurance - Forum Sponsor

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.