• You cannot reply to this topic

Some RNS850 Questions.... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   adm 

• Pip
  • Group: Full Member
  • LocationSurrey, UK
  • Time Online: 1h 2m 51s

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:37 PM

So I am on my 2nd Touareg now - my new one came in Jan 16 and is an R-Line 262. Lovely car with some nice upgrades over my previous 2012 version.

However - it also has a couple of annoying quirks that I would love anyone's input on....

First - I listen to the DAB radio a lot (also stream Apple Music from my iPhone). I like to have the radio text displayed so I can see song names etc.. however on this car, much of the time when I turn it off and then on again, the radio text has gone. To get it back I have to select "Extras" and then "Radio Text" - which is already highlighted indicating the car thinks Radio Text is already on. This switches it off, then I have to go through the process again to get the text back. It's a small niggle, but it is really annoying me. Has anyone else experienced this or know of a solutions?

Second - when I use the Nav, a box pops up on the screen saying "Live traffic information requires an internet connection" or something like that. But the car already has an internet connection as my phone (iPhone 6) is paired with it. How can I fix this and have it show the live traffic information rather than the annoying warning message.

Finally... I tried to register for VolkswagenNet or whatever it's called to get the Google integration stuff - but the site won't accept my VIN to create an account. Does anyone know how to deal with this? I called my dealer and they had no idea the car net system even existed...

Anyway - sorry for the questions straight off the bat, but I'd like to get these things sorted out as they are slightly annoying!

Cheers,

Alasdair

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   Loz 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationBerkeley UK
  • Time Online: 306d 10h 17m 48s

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:57 PM

adm said:

First - I listen to the DAB radio a lot (also stream Apple Music from my iPhone). I like to have the radio text displayed so I can see song names etc.. however on this car, much of the time when I turn it off and then on again, the radio text has gone. To get it back I have to select "Extras" and then "Radio Text" - which is already highlighted indicating the car thinks Radio Text is already on. This switches it off, then I have to go through the process again to get the text back. It's a small niggle, but it is really annoying me. Has anyone else experienced this or know of a solutions?

Yes, mine does this from time to time its very annoying, I'm a couple or SW versions behind yous so its been a bug for a while now.

adm said:

Second - when I use the Nav, a box pops up on the screen saying "Live traffic information requires an internet connection" or something like that. But the car already has an internet connection as my phone (iPhone 6) is paired with it. How can I fix this and have it show the live traffic information rather than the annoying warning message.

You need a data sim installed in the nav unit slot to give it internet access, it wont use your phone. However, when you insert the sim in the nav unit it disconnects your iPhone... Annoying.
Regards Loz

VW California T6 MY17 204 DSG 4motion in Blackberry
Vag-Com if anyone in area needs to use it...
(previous)2011 T3 Escape - 2010 Tiguan R-Line 170 - 2010 Golf 170GTD DSG - Landcruiser 78 series(Troopie)
(previous)2009 Golf 140GT DSG - 2007 Shogun Warrior 3.2 SWB - 2001 Discovery 2
(previous)1999 Audi 2.4SE Avant....>>>>>>> way back.. Ford Mk1 Capri

Tip! Search this forum using google with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

#3 User is offline   roytour 

• Elite Member
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMontauriol, France
  • Time Online: 95d 11h 24m 47s

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:59 AM

View PostLoz, on 10 March 2016 - 09:57 PM, said:

Yes, mine does this from time to time its very annoying, I'm a couple or SW versions behind yous so its been a bug for a while now.

You need a data sim installed in the nav unit slot to give it internet access, it wont use your phone. However, when you insert the sim in the nav unit it disconnects your iPhone... Annoying.
To add the latter point is due to iphone not supporting RSAP
2014 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in titan black, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Retractable Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare, Area View, Rear sunblinds, Parking Heater, heated front windscreen, Google Earth - oh yes and a heated steering wheel :)

Gone but not forgotten - 58 plate altitude v6 3.0 240ps

#4 User is offline   johned45 

• Locationnear Cambridge
  • Time Online: 28d 22h 14m 30s

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:36 AM

View Postadm, on 10 March 2016 - 02:37 PM, said:

So I am on my 2nd Touareg now - my new one came in Jan 16 and is an R-Line 262. Lovely car with some nice upgrades over my previous 2012 version.

However - it also has a couple of annoying quirks that I would love anyone's input on....

Finally... I tried to register for VolkswagenNet or whatever it's called to get the Google integration stuff - but the site won't accept my VIN to create an account. Does anyone know how to deal with this? I called my dealer and they had no idea the car net system even existed...

Anyway - sorry for the questions straight off the bat, but I'd like to get these things sorted out as they are slightly annoying!

Cheers,

Alasdair

car net system not available for T'reg
Escape 262 (Canyon Grey) ordered 14th August 2015, build week confirmed as 28th Sept, collected 28th October 2015.

Added options are Bi-xenon headlights, CDC, Vienna Leather 14-way seats, Area View Camera, Dynamic Light Assist, Pano Sunroof, Memory Pack Plus, Towbar, Keyless Entry, Multi-function Heated Steering Wheel.
Mudflaps fitted, and swap to A/T tyres, Nitrogen filled Michelin Latitude Cross (I am amazed on quoted price range on the tyres!!)

245 R-Line (Black) as of Dec 1st 2013
June 2013 - 245 Altitude
June 2011 - June 2013 240SE, came minus BT, and VW saying not possible to switch on (exp retrofit!), found VCDS local guy, had BT enabled in 10 mins... running on Grabber AT's all year round.
Feb 2008 - June 2011 T2 SE.
Aug 2001 - Feb 2008 - Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 (LPG converted from new).

#5 User is offline   Shytot 

• Elite Member
  • View gallery
  • Time Online: 9d 23h 51m 54s

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:13 AM

The sad fact is that if you want a proper sat nav and phone interface you really need to get yourself a nice little Ford Focus or an Astra or even a Skoda but definitely not a Touareg :thumbsup:

Just be happy that you have the ability to enter the full post code - leading edge technology at your fingertips!
61 V6 Altitude with area view and panoramic roof

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 162d 6h 31m 30s

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:28 AM

All of which merely confirms my long held view that no new car should ever come with a radio, ICE or SATNAV.

That way owners can fit what they want, how they want, when they want [if they actually really need any of it!]

Silence is golden.

Pay attention to the road!
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:

http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used VW Touareg that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:

http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1, 957 = T2, 958.1 = T3 and 958.2 = T4

#7 User is offline   adm 

• Pip
  • LocationSurrey, UK

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:08 PM

View PostLoz, on 10 March 2016 - 09:57 PM, said:

Damn. That sounds particularly stupid and pointless.

#8 User is offline   adm 

• Pip
  • LocationSurrey, UK

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:09 PM

View PostHoke Colborn, on 11 March 2016 - 07:59 AM, said:

To add the latter point is due to iphone not supporting RSAP

That's kind of daft though - the iPhone is probably the biggest single selling phone on the planet. You'd think they would want to make it work with the installed Apple user base.

Even my old BMW could integrate with an iPhone to get internet access and that was almost ten years ago.

#9 User is offline   adm 

• Pip
  • LocationSurrey, UK

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:11 PM

View Postjohned45, on 11 March 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

car net system not available for T'reg

Doh. Why not - it's VW's premium vehicle and even the car net web pages show T'reg functionality.

Looks like my questions have pointed to a bit of stupidity on VW's part.

Does anyone know if there are any SW updates on the way to fix any of these things?

#10 User is offline   chaser 

• Mechanical Guru
  • Time Online: 95d 3h 56m 30s

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:57 PM

The car net registration system has been broke since begining of February. All you'll get is an error message saying try again later. VW customer services say they have no details of how long it will take to fix!
Chaser...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current... Touareg R-Line Plus 3.0 V6 TDI 262PS 8-Speed Auto Tiptronic (from new). Area View, Canyon Grey Metallic, 21" Mallory Alloys, Dynamic CDC Air Suspension, Piano black decorative inlays with retrofit black surrounds on dashboard. 4way Electric R-Line Branded Two Tone Sports Seats in Nappa Leather, Memory Pack, Factory Tow Pack, Ambient Light Pack etc, etc,

Previous... Pure White 2014 Touareg V6
R-Line 3.0Tdi 245ps 8-speed Auto Tiptronic (from new). Factory swivelling tow pack. Fully wired 13pin electrics. 9x20" Pikes Peak alloys. Piano black decorative inlays. Interior ambient light pack. Reversing camera.

Before that... Salt Lake Grey 2006 Touareg 2.5 Tdi SE Sport Auto (from 26k miles)

#11 User is offline   johned45 

• Locationnear Cambridge
  • Time Online: 28d 22h 14m 30s

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:41 PM

View Postadm, on 11 March 2016 - 12:11 PM, said:

Doh. Why not - it's VW's premium vehicle and even the car net web pages show T'reg functionality.

Looks like my questions have pointed to a bit of stupidity on VW's part.

Does anyone know if there are any SW updates on the way to fix any of these things?

When I collected my new Escape at the end of last year, my local dealer told me it was hopefully available for Touareg in mid 2016, but they didn't know if that applied just to new build then or would be also retrospective to earlier build cars.
Escape 262 (Canyon Grey) ordered 14th August 2015, build week confirmed as 28th Sept, collected 28th October 2015.

Added options are Bi-xenon headlights, CDC, Vienna Leather 14-way seats, Area View Camera, Dynamic Light Assist, Pano Sunroof, Memory Pack Plus, Towbar, Keyless Entry, Multi-function Heated Steering Wheel.
Mudflaps fitted, and swap to A/T tyres, Nitrogen filled Michelin Latitude Cross (I am amazed on quoted price range on the tyres!!)

245 R-Line (Black) as of Dec 1st 2013
June 2013 - 245 Altitude
June 2011 - June 2013 240SE, came minus BT, and VW saying not possible to switch on (exp retrofit!), found VCDS local guy, had BT enabled in 10 mins... running on Grabber AT's all year round.
Feb 2008 - June 2011 T2 SE.
Aug 2001 - Feb 2008 - Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 (LPG converted from new).

#12 User is offline   Rob9999 

• LocationBedfordshire
  • Time Online: 8d 25m 37s

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:28 PM

Sorry to butt in but, I collect my 2014 in a few days.
Am I right in thinking that if I have my iPhone 6s connected, the sat nav won't know if to divert me around any traffic jams unless I get a SIM card but then can't use my phone at the same time ?
Or does the rns850 still work with basic rds traffic info and not real time traffic?
I've read through all the older posts but still confused.

Thanks
2013 245 VW Touareg R Line

#13 User is offline   adm 

• Pip
  • LocationSurrey, UK

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:35 PM

View PostRob9999, on 11 March 2016 - 05:28 PM, said:

Sorry to butt in but, I collect my 2014 in a few days.
Am I right in thinking that if I have my iPhone 6s connected, the sat nav won't know if to divert me around any traffic jams unless I get a SIM card but then can't use my phone at the same time ?
Or does the rns850 still work with basic rds traffic info and not real time traffic?
I've read through all the older posts but still confused.

Thanks

It will work fine with RDS traffic. The sat nav will quite happily reroute you around jams and will warn of slow traffic up ahead. No issue there.

It just seems that if you want ( I think) Google based real time traffic info, then you are shit out of luck unless you are happy not to have your iPhone able to use handsfree via bluetooth. Which seems a bit strange.

My iPhone works fine via bluetooth to the car, and the sat nav gets RDS traffic feeds - so it's all OK - but could be better.

#14 User is offline   Rob9999 

• LocationBedfordshire
  • Time Online: 8d 25m 37s

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:14 PM

View Postadm, on 11 March 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

It will work fine with RDS traffic. The sat nav will quite happily reroute you around jams and will warn of slow traffic up ahead. No issue there.

It just seems that if you want ( I think) Google based real time traffic info, then you are shit out of luck unless you are happy not to have your iPhone able to use handsfree via bluetooth. Which seems a bit strange.

My iPhone works fine via bluetooth to the car, and the sat nav gets RDS traffic feeds - so it's all OK - but could be better.

Thanks. That's a relief.
2013 245 VW Touareg R Line

#15 User is offline   ChrisTO 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNorth Wales
  • Time Online: 2d 5h 43m 54s

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:15 PM

The iPhone connectivity fiasco has been the subject of many, many posts here. Even more irritating is that it's been recognised and fixed in the Audi equivalent of the RNS850. My experience with the RDS traffic data is that it's pretty rubbish.

VW could fix this wth a firmware upgrade - as they could to provide Google Real Time Traffic to those of use who have models built just before it was formally released - but I very much doubt they will. When I asked about this the response was 'if we did that, you'd be getting something you didn't pay for'.

Make of that what you will.

Solution? Air Vent mount for the iPhone to run Google Maps. Billy Bargain.

View Postadm, on 11 March 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

2015 262 PS R-Line in Black, Nappa 12-way seats, towbar, 21" Mallorys. But no real time traffic info

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.