• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Start/Stop Remedy for those that don't want it Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   chaser 

• Mechanical Guru
  • Group: Full Member
  • Time Online: 95d 3h 56m 30s

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:25 AM

When I bought my Touareg I had hoped that I might be able to find a way of permanently turning off the SS function. I understand that it has to default to on because that is how the vehicle gained its CO2 certification. In VCDS there are no documented channels for battery voltage or engine temp parameters that can be used to prevent SS function in the same way as on MQB platform vehicles.

The Touaregs SS operation and integration is dreadfully ill thought out. It doesn’t offer me any real world fuel economy advantage at all and IMHO its operation spoils the driving experience. So like plenty of others I would rather switch it off but find it frustrating that I have to do this repeatedly.

It seems that back in 2012 some BMW dealers had been able to change the settings for their customers that preferred this didn’t happen. I’m not aware of any VW dealer prepared or even able to do the same.

http://www.digitaltr...rtstop/#!bMbWS9

Not giving up on a solution for VAG cars I eventually found this memory module that maintains the previously used mode of the SS system.

http://www.active-so...odul-ssam-modul

Some will like the SS system, others will just push the button every time no bother. Some might say this remedy a bit costly especially by the time you add shipping.
It worked out at around £70 all in but that’s okay to me given I hate the SS so much. Also it could be removed and likely reused on a future VAG car?

So after a few emails back and forth to query compatibility and connections, one was duly ordered, delivered and fitted to the Treg and I’m entirely happy with it. The module looks well made, externally at least (not going to open it up) it uses OEM connectors and now having completed it, fitting is straightforward enough for DIY.

The only let down is the install instructions are in German, they have misleading, incorrect images and lack some detail. Google Translate wasn’t reliable enough, mixing up important detail. Of course if you understand German they could make much more sense.

After working through it (with a little help via email) my own installation details might, no actually will, save you some grief if you’re going to fit one of these modules.

[attachment=23305:IMG_0510.JPG]
  • Their instructions start with the guide from ELSA for removal of the selector lever and cover. I don’t think it’s necessary to do this so i've left it out of this guide. Access for fitting this module should be possible without the shift lever removed. I think it’s only suggested to allow you to pull up the shift mechanism trim rather than prising it up. It’s your choice which method you use.
  • Parking brake applied, select ‘N’ and turn OFF ignition. Open the ashtray cover.
  • Prise up and release the shift mechanism trim (1). Make sure you first take precautions to guard against scratching especially if you have the piano black version as I do. In the image below there are locating lugs where each of the 4 vertical lines is shown. Start with your pry tool at one of the front corners. If you can’t get a start, place your fingers under the front edge where the ashtray cover opens and you should get enough pull to increase clearance for the pry tool. Work around where the lugs are on both sides at the front and then the centre near the rotary switches. You’ll feel the trim come loose then tilt and move forward to release the rear.

[attachment=23313:Trim.jpg]
  • It should now be possible to lift up enough to access the connector on the underside of the SS button. Just allow the leather gaiter to turn inside out as it moves up the shift lever. Squeeze the release tab on the connector, remove and there is enough wiring to pull it out to one side. Rest the trim back down for now.
  • The 10 pin connector looks like this… note the release tab

[attachment=23345:IMG_0522.JPG]

There are 4 wire contacts to be released from this connector housing and refitted into one of two OEM style connector housings supplied. 4 loose wires on the memory module replace them.

Connectors like this need to be unlocked before it’s possible to remove contacts. Pull back on a wire while pressing gently on the contacts release tab with a suitable pointed tool. I use a precision screwdriver.
Check the contacts on the wires of module you will see their release tabs so you’ll know exactly what you should be pressing when releasing the original ones.

See below pic of the unlocked 10 pin connector housing, this one has a similar latch on the opposite side..... also look at the supplied loose connector housings.

[attachment=23329:IMG_0546.JPG]

Remove and replace the wires as in following pin assignment ;

Terminal 15 (ignition positive):

1. Release Pin 4 (yellow / red) from 10 pin connector and insert into pin 1 of ST1a.

2. Connect the black wire of SSAM module to pin 4 of the 10 pin connector.

Terminal 31 (earth)

3. Release pin 3 (8) brown from 10 pin connector and insert into pin 3 of ST1a.

4. Connect the brown wire of SSAM module to pin 3 of the 10 pin connector.

5. Release pin 10, red/yellow from 10 pin connector and insert into pin1 of ST2a.

6. Connect the grey of the SSAM module in pin 10 of the 10 pin connector.

7. Release pin 9 (red/blue) from 10 pin connector and insert into pin 3, ST2a.

8. Connect the white wire of the SSAM module in pin 9 of the 10 pin connector

9. Close latches on the 10 pin connector.

10. Close latches on ST1a and ST2a.

11. Join connectors ST1 and ST2 of SSAM module with the mating connectors ST2a and ST1a.

With that done you can reconnect the 10 pin connector to the SS button.

I wrapped the module in a piece of foam and stowed it down the left side of the original foam piece you’ll see fitted around the shift mechanism.

Replace the shift mechanism trim into the console in reverse order line up, push down into place and your done.

Hopefully this reads okay, it looks relative easy but f there's anything not clear just ask. :)
Chaser...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current... Touareg R-Line Plus 3.0 V6 TDI 262PS 8-Speed Auto Tiptronic (from new). Area View, Canyon Grey Metallic, 21" Mallory Alloys, Dynamic CDC Air Suspension, Piano black decorative inlays with retrofit black surrounds on dashboard. 4way Electric R-Line Branded Two Tone Sports Seats in Nappa Leather, Memory Pack, Factory Tow Pack, Ambient Light Pack etc, etc,

Previous... Pure White 2014 Touareg V6
R-Line 3.0Tdi 245ps 8-speed Auto Tiptronic (from new). Factory swivelling tow pack. Fully wired 13pin electrics. 9x20" Pikes Peak alloys. Piano black decorative inlays. Interior ambient light pack. Reversing camera.

Before that... Salt Lake Grey 2006 Touareg 2.5 Tdi SE Sport Auto (from 26k miles)

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   merlin247 

• View gallery
  • LocationBromley
  • Time Online: 9d 16h 29m 10s

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:19 PM

Very thorough post, thanks.

Does the unit just forever remember the last setting?

Does it cause any VCDS fault codes? Thinking here about warranty issues.
Regards Merlin

T4 R Line 262, Canyon Grey, Talladegas, St Tropez Nappa, Memory, Piano Black, Dynamic CDC Air Suspension, Area View, Tow Bar.
T3 SE 245, LHD, Canyon Grey, CSB Leather, RNS850, Keyless, CDC Air suspension, Bi-Xenons, Panoramic roof, Electric tailgate, Side Assist, Aux heater, Elec seats, Heated front screen, Dynamic light assist, 4 zone climate control, Heated rear seats.
TVR Griffith 500 LE No 6 of 100
Merlin TF 2.8
BMW 330D coupe

#3 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 162d 20h 14m 46s

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:20 PM

Very good. Two units shortly on order!!
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:

http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used VW Touareg that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:

http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1, 957 = T2, 958.1 = T3 and 958.2 = T4

#4 User is offline   chaser 

• Mechanical Guru

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:51 PM

Merlin...

No fault codes recorded :).....you still have the ability to change between on/off but it will restart with the same setting as you ended the previous journey. I'll be leaving it off permanently.
Chaser...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current... Touareg R-Line Plus 3.0 V6 TDI 262PS 8-Speed Auto Tiptronic (from new). Area View, Canyon Grey Metallic, 21" Mallory Alloys, Dynamic CDC Air Suspension, Piano black decorative inlays with retrofit black surrounds on dashboard. 4way Electric R-Line Branded Two Tone Sports Seats in Nappa Leather, Memory Pack, Factory Tow Pack, Ambient Light Pack etc, etc,

R-Line 3.0Tdi 245ps 8-speed Auto Tiptronic (from new). Factory swivelling tow pack. Fully wired 13pin electrics. 9x20" Pikes Peak alloys. Piano black decorative inlays. Interior ambient light pack. Reversing camera.

Before that... Salt Lake Grey 2006 Touareg 2.5 Tdi SE Sport Auto (from 26k miles)

#5 User is offline   dailysmoker 

• Elite Member
  • View gallery
  • Group: Club Member
  • LocationYorkshire
  • Time Online: 100d 15h 52m 59s

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:45 PM

nice find and good post Chaser!
Current car - Porsche Macan Turbo only on here as it is a great forum and they still talk to me!

Previous car - Black 2012 V8TDi Altitude 340 (tweaked). The most proper car to date!
Metropolitan alloys, pano roof, parking heater, digital TV, 4 zone climate, spare wheel, 12 way Nappa seats, no stop/start function..........................

Previous previous car - Black 2011 V6 TDi Altitude 240. Still a proper car.

Previous previous previous car - Silver 2007 3.0TDi (tweaked). A proper car.

#6 User is offline   Zim 

• LocationArgyll
  • Time Online: 5d 6h 40m 43s

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:46 PM

Fantastic, now where is my credit card!Posted Image
2015 V6 SE 262 (Part ex on 2011 T3)
Land Rover Defender 90

#7 User is offline   chaser 

• Mechanical Guru

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:13 PM

Loz, I think you should probably unpin this topic now and let it slip through the annals. Posted Image

Chaser...

#8 User is offline   Jepasse 

• Stop/Start VCDS Guru
  • PipPip
  • LocationFrance
  • Time Online: 1d 6h 3m 10s

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:25 PM

View Postchaser, on 19 January 2016 - 07:13 PM, said:

Loz, I think you should probably unpin this topic now and let it slip through the annals. Posted Image

:rolleyes: :D :lol:
2011 T3 3.0 V6 TDI

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chris Knott Insurance - Forum Sponsor

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.