• You cannot reply to this topic

What do you Tow???

#381 User is offline   CRUSADER 

• Group: Full Member
  • LocationNorfolk
  • Time Online: 14d 20h 56m 24s

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:49 AM

GodivaNige, on 25 April 2017 - 09:33 AM, said:

Nice setup, we (yes, the royal 'we') have a 2014 Caravel, best van we've owned. I'm interested though, what's with the vent in the door? Where the bin would be on the inside? Did you fit that?

Haha well spotted. We bought caravan at a year old (now 3 years old) and the only mark on it was a v small indent in the door which only showed up in certain lights but with my OCD it bugged me so I bought the vent and fitted it to cover the indent (previous owner said it had been there since it was built). Tbh the (dummy) vent matches the aluminium door surround and to my mind looks ok.
Thought you may have noticed the name plate above the front windows - the original would warp in the sun between the lines of fixing adhesive so I cut it off and had a new one made up by a local sign maker to my spec, so made from a different material and straight across (I wasn't keen on the curve of the original).
2018 Volvo XC90 D5 R-Design

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#382 User is offline   GodivaNige 

• Time Online: 69d 6h 23m 32s

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:45 AM

CRUSADER, on 25 April 2017 - 10:49 AM, said:

Haha well spotted. We bought caravan at a year old (now 3 years old) and the only mark on it was a v small indent in the door which only showed up in certain lights but with my OCD it bugged me so I bought the vent and fitted it to cover the indent (previous owner said it had been there since it was built). Tbh the (dummy) vent matches the aluminium door surround and to my mind looks ok.
Thought you may have noticed the name plate above the front windows - the original would warp in the sun between the lines of fixing adhesive so I cut it off and had a new one made up by a local sign maker to my spec, so made from a different material and straight across (I wasn't keen on the curve of the original).

Had to go back to your pic to take a look at the rain shield :) Nice job and a great idea. Ours has warped in the sun too and whilst I'm a little OCD when it comes to the van, I've let this one go and learned to live with it. We rarely keep a van more than 4 years and we're definitely switching to a motorhome next time, so it'll be a job for the dealer we trade in with, or the next owner.
Ours was just over a year old when we bought it, late in 2015 so will be keeping it until at least 2019. The owner from new had a sat dome on the roof and the mounting feet have been left so I'm tempted to buy one (Roadpro) as our next 'upgrade'
Great vans though, very comfortable. My only gripe is the woodwork is a little delicate, it's very easily marked... have to be very careful carrying items though the van and if the dogs so much as go near it with their claws, they get a ticking off :)
2010 RRS TDV8 HSE in Buckingham Blue
2006 3.0 V6 SE in Salt Lake Grey (gone to a new home)

#383 User is offline   CRUSADER 

• LocationNorfolk

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:52 AM

Sat dome sounds a great idea particularly if you take it abroad (we dont). Great caravans and as you say comfortable. Did you know that Colron mid oak wood dye will cover most marks from the interior 'wood' and if only light ie not through the 'film' will blend them in invisibly. Just had the E & P Compact levelling fitted to it which is a fab upgrade.

#384 User is offline   GodivaNige 

• Time Online: 69d 6h 23m 32s

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:11 PM

CRUSADER, on 25 April 2017 - 11:52 AM, said:

Sat dome sounds a great idea particularly if you take it abroad (we dont). Great caravans and as you say comfortable. Did you know that Colron mid oak wood dye will cover most marks from the interior 'wood' and if only light ie not through the 'film' will blend them in invisibly. Just had the E & P Compact levelling fitted to it which is a fab upgrade.

Thanks for the wood dye tip, will buy some today. Leveling a TA can be a right PITA so the self leveling would be useful, plus it makes fitting the wheel locks easier (another ball ache) Was it expensive?
2010 RRS TDV8 HSE in Buckingham Blue
2006 3.0 V6 SE in Salt Lake Grey (gone to a new home)

#385 User is offline   CRUSADER 

• LocationNorfolk

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:28 PM

Just been to check and it is Colron Medium Oak to be precise. Apply onto kitchen roll or similar and blend into the damaged area sparingly - you can always apply a second coat.
The E & P is great. Its only the Compact system (2 x axle jacks but without the auto legs - which I didnt want) was £1800 inc the remote.

#386 User is offline   johnb80 

• LocationGainsborough, Lincolnshire
  • Time Online: 27d 4h 38m 23s

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:51 PM

I found on my Bailey Beech Ply with a medium oak dye worked really well. Heres a cupboard that was supposed to have a TV on turntable to use in the bedroom or living area. The cupboard was useless. I made the partition and lasercut the various holders on the other side. The wood is an excellent match.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 now gone and replaced with the opposite end of the pollution scale, BMW i3 electric car, one word, love it. Previous cars 4.4TDV8 Range Rover, 2006 Touareg 3.0 TDi (Superb Car), Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI (Also Great Car).
If youre old fashioned and still burning fossil fuels, MORRISONS fuel which is the best choice for all Touaregs.
P.S. Watch the mods here, they do dark and devious things when youre not looking LOL

#387 User is offline   johnb80 

• LocationGainsborough, Lincolnshire
  • Time Online: 27d 4h 38m 23s

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:55 PM

I also did some 'mood lighting' works incredibly well

Posted Image

Photo doesn't do it justice, the colour and brightness is infinitely adjustable.
Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 now gone and replaced with the opposite end of the pollution scale, BMW i3 electric car, one word, love it. Previous cars 4.4TDV8 Range Rover, 2006 Touareg 3.0 TDi (Superb Car), Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI (Also Great Car).
If youre old fashioned and still burning fossil fuels, MORRISONS fuel which is the best choice for all Touaregs.
P.S. Watch the mods here, they do dark and devious things when youre not looking LOL

#388 User is offline   Tiggy2014 

• PipPip
  • LocationShepperton, Middx, UK
  • Time Online: 10h 4m 14s

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:14 PM

Fleetwood Heritage 640, have to say for my first van it's been great so far.
Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Touareg Rline - 3ltr V6 - 2014

#389 User is offline   Divemedic 

• Pip
  • LocationCrib Point, Victoria, Australia
  • Time Online: 6h 53m 7s

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:30 AM

We're in Australia and own a MY13 4XMotion which we bought new. We tow a Jayco Silverline Outback - a semi offroad caravan. Fully loaded with almost 200 litres of water, food, clothes, SCUBA diving gear plus bits and pieces it tips the scales at 3300kg! Our local vans are built very strong with heavy duty chassis and suspensions to cope with our Outback roads. Consequently they are much heavy than European vans. In Australia the Treg is rated to tow 3500kg. We use nearly every bit of the 680kg payload the Treg can carry, so all up we have a GCM of 6200kg. I removed the OEM towbar, as it only allows a nose weight of 280kg and replaced it with a Hayman Reece towbar (local top shelf manufacturer) with a nose weight of 350kg. The Treg tows our heavy van beautifully. Our last trip was over 12000km (it's a huge country) of which almost half was towing. Typically we average between 16 - 17lts/100km - about 17mpg, so I'm pretty happy with that! We head off on another 7000km trip in 8 weeks. We can't wait!!!

Attached File(s)

#390 User is offline   Mike597 

• Location.
  • Time Online: 13d 7h 50m 50s

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:55 AM

12000kms????? How long did that trip last?

#391 User is offline   MontanaV6 

• PipPip
  • LocationHuddersfield
  • Time Online: 6d 17h 37m 30s

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:48 AM

Coachman Pastiche 520/4. First tow this weekend with the Treg and it towed like a dream!!
Attached File  what i tow.jpg (100.1K)
Number of downloads: 20
T1 3.0V6 tdi 2004 in silver.

#392 User is offline   ColinT 

• LocationScotland
  • Time Online: 6d 4h 30m 10s

Posted 28 April 2019 - 05:46 PM

First long trip with the Treg. She did well, trying not to dwell on the indicated 21mpg.

Stopped at Tebay Services for lunch, now parked up near Morecombe for the night, off to the Cotswolds tomorrow.

Attached File(s)

2015 R Line 262 in Pure White

#393 User is offline   Griffo 

• Pip
  • LocationNeath South Wales
  • Time Online: 9h 46m 6s

Posted 13 March 2020 - 08:09 AM

Here’s mine Swift Charisma Twin Axel 1750 mptlm

#394 User is offline   Taylor6971 

• Pip
  • View gallery
  • LocationNorwich
  • Time Online: 23h 51m 12s

Posted 24 June 2020 - 02:16 PM

This was back in February just before the lockdown started. We didn,t go far, but it was a pleasant journey with the new set up. I also took a picture with my Nephews Tiguan alongside!Attached File  2019 Touareg with Caravan.jpg (1.45MB)
Number of downloads: 11 Attached File  2019 Touareg with Caravans Med res.jpg (100.07K)
Number of downloads: 10
R Line 201bhp. Silver 2014. Only extra is an upgraded fan courtesy of dealer in preparation for a Tow Bar!
R Line Tech 286Bhp Grey. Towbar, Sunroof, Heads up display, premium comfort pack, lots of Driver assist stuff!

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chris Knott Insurance - Forum Sponsor

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.