AUTO GEARBOX SOFTWARE UPDATE? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   johnatv8 

• View gallery
  • Group: Full Member
  • LocationNorth West London
  • Time Online: 6d 11h 19m 44s

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:00 PM

Is there a software or firmware update?

Well having enjoyed my Touareg for nearly a year now I only have one issue in that it holds onto second gear when in traffic on a flat road i.e. no load and doesn't change up till 1800/ 2000rpm
which is 20mph, that to my mind is far to high and It spoils the tranquility at low speed of an otherwise very quiet engine.

I can sometimes using the paddles get a change up at 1700rmp but not in D first to second is about 1400, is this usual for these 8 speed boxes?

The car is due a service soon so any help is appreciated.

Johnatv8
Sold April 2020 Much Missed.R-Line V8 MY 14 Night Blue/ Moon Rock Grey Vienna. Piano Black Inserts. Proper Colour.

Dynamic CDC. Parking Heater. Air Bag Pack. Swivelling Tow Bar. .

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 174d 26m 10s

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:02 PM

Have you tried a gearbox reset?
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:
http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg and here:
https://www.autoevol...swagen/touareg/

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used Generation 1 VW Touareg [T1 & T2 2002-10] that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:
http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1; 957 = T2; 958.1 = T3; 958.2 = T4; 9YA = T5
Brilliant site with a lot of information and many photos of all the Cayenne models since launch! https://www.stuttcar...ls/cayenne/958/

#3 User is offline   plumber 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationPortland, Dorset.
  • Time Online: 4d 7h 26m 24s

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:29 PM

The gearbox will not go back into 1st gear unless you stop, I have been informed (although don't get me wrong, i'm no expert) the gearbox works similar to a preselect gearbox.
when it's in 2nd gear, it has already selected 3rd, this is the reason, for that very frightening delay that can occur, when lets say, on approaching a roundabout you slow and almost stop, then floor the throttle for a quick exit, and nothing happens for a what seams to be a couple of seconds, then the engine explodes, and the acceleration is such that you go around the roundabout on 2 wheels. the gearbox controls the engine, and can't work out immediately what to do. as it's in 2nd gear, with 3rd preselected and should really be in 1st. I must state that this is my version of what has been explained to me, as I have complained about the delay in gearbox changing, and acceleration at very low speed.

#4 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:30 PM

Take control with the Tiptronic.
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used Generation 1 VW Touareg [T1 & T2 2002-10] that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:

Brilliant site with a lot of information and many photos of all the Cayenne models since launch! https://www.stuttcar...ls/cayenne/958/

#5 User is offline   Loz 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationBerkeley UK
  • Time Online: 306d 10h 18m 38s

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:24 PM

plumber said:

1416598174[/url]' post='330737']
The gearbox will not go back into 1st gear unless you stop, I have been informed (although don't get me wrong, i'm no expert) the gearbox works similar to a preselect gearbox.
when it's in 2nd gear, it has already selected 3rd, this is the reason, for that very frightening delay that can occur, when lets say, on approaching a roundabout you slow and almost stop, then floor the throttle for a quick exit, and nothing happens for a what seams to be a couple of seconds, then the engine explodes, and the acceleration is such that you go around the roundabout on 2 wheels. the gearbox controls the engine, and can't work out immediately what to do. as it's in 2nd gear, with 3rd preselected and should really be in 1st. I must state that this is my version of what has been explained to me, as I have complained about the delay in gearbox changing, and acceleration at very low speed.

What your describing is the DSG box a twin manual box with 2 clutches that preselects odd and even gears and uses one clutch per rail to swap over.These are fitted to lower torque engines on golfs etc.
The 8 speed asin box is a traditional but very advanced traditional box that is a collection of clutch plates per gear with a torque converter with internal locking clutch.
I'll upload the SSP on the asin tomorrow it's an interesting read.
Regards Loz

VW California T6 MY17 204 DSG 4motion in Blackberry
Vag-Com if anyone in area needs to use it...
(previous)2011 T3 Escape - 2010 Tiguan R-Line 170 - 2010 Golf 170GTD DSG - Landcruiser 78 series(Troopie)
(previous)2009 Golf 140GT DSG - 2007 Shogun Warrior 3.2 SWB - 2001 Discovery 2
(previous)1999 Audi 2.4SE Avant....>>>>>>> way back.. Ford Mk1 Capri

Tip! Search this forum using google with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

#6 User is offline   Loz 

• View gallery
  • LocationBerkeley UK

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:28 PM

johnatv8 said:

1416585636[/url]' post='330593']
Is there a software or firmware update?

Well having enjoyed my Touareg for nearly a year now I only have one issue in that it holds onto second gear when in traffic on a flat road i.e. no load and doesn't change up till 1800/ 2000rpm
which is 20mph, that to my mind is far to high and It spoils the tranquility at low speed of an otherwise very quiet engine.

I can sometimes using the paddles get a change up at 1700rmp but not in D first to second is about 1400, is this usual for these 8 speed boxes?

The car is due a service soon so any help is appreciated.

Johnatv8

There is a SW update for the asin (mine was done at the beginning of the month) but you might get what you want from Nooby's suggestion of a GBR.
This is because the car is designed to learn your driving pattern and I expect you were nailing it about when you first got it so it now always drives like that.
As plumber says they don't go back to 1st unless as a stand still because the 1st gear us so low you virtually pull away in 2nd and the v8 has even more torque so it is never going to stay long in first..
Regards Loz

(previous)2011 T3 Escape - 2010 Tiguan R-Line 170 - 2010 Golf 170GTD DSG - Landcruiser 78 series(Troopie)

#7 User is offline   Loz 

• View gallery
  • LocationBerkeley UK

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:37 PM

Here we go.. OC8 Self Study Guide

Attached File  SSP466-OC8-gearbox.pdf (3.71MB)
Number of downloads: 81

Regards Loz

#8 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery
  • LocationHarry Hotspur land !
  • Time Online: 173d 19h 6m 37s

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:37 PM

View PostLoz, on 21 November 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

What your describing is the DSG box a twin manual box with 2 clutches that preselects odd and even gears and uses one clutch per rail to swap over.These are fitted to lower torque engines on golfs etc.
The 8 speed asin box is a traditional but very advanced traditional box that is a collection of clutch plates per gear with a torque converter with internal locking clutch.
I'll upload the SSP on the asin tomorrow it's an interesting read.

Yep, VW DSG gearbox only - not in the Treg ;)

Never noticed or had an issue with my T3 either booting it or tootling along :unsure:
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#9 User is offline   johnb80 

• LocationGainsborough, Lincolnshire
  • Time Online: 29d 6h 36m 6s

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:10 AM

View PostLoz, on 21 November 2014 - 10:37 PM, said:

Here we go. OC8 self study guide

Loz, whilst you didn't put that document up there for me and it doesn't even apply to my Touareg, what a fantastic write up / training document and an insight to what goes on. Thank you for putting that up here for us all to see.

John
Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 now gone and replaced with the opposite end of the pollution scale, BMW i3 electric car, one word, love it. Previous cars 4.4TDV8 Range Rover, 2006 Touareg 3.0 TDi (Superb Car), Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI (Also Great Car).
If youre old fashioned and still burning fossil fuels, MORRISONS fuel which is the best choice for all Touaregs.
P.S. Watch the mods here, they do dark and devious things when youre not looking LOL

#10 User is offline   Smiffy 

• View gallery
  • Locationsolihull
  • Time Online: 59d 9h 14m 2s

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:27 AM

Great reading, but when I go for a drive later I'll be in awe of all the moving parts beneath me!

My industry is electronics, and because I know how it works I am very accepting of all the tech' in my phone, PC, sat nav' etc. But mechanical tech like this impresses me much more. Respect!
Current car 2013 Touareg R-Line 245, Canyon Grey, Pikes Peak, Tow bar, Space saver spare
Towed 2013 Holtkamper Cocoon XL MTT
Her car 2010 Skoda Yeti 1.2 TSi SE, Tangarine (possibly the best car made by VAG!?)

#11 User is offline   johnatv8 

• View gallery

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:19 PM

View PostLoz, on 21 November 2014 - 10:37 PM, said:

Here we go.. OC8 Self Study Guide

Attachment SSP466-OC8-gearbox.pdf

thanks all I did GBR months ago it made a slight difference but I will try it again.
I shall ask the dealer to check for the update though

johnatv8
Sold April 2020 Much Missed.R-Line V8 MY 14 Night Blue/ Moon Rock Grey Vienna. Piano Black Inserts. Proper Colour.

#12 User is offline   plumber 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:43 PM

Many thanks Loz for putting matters right, great information, which I have saved, and sorry to the other members for getting it completely wrong, this new information though does beg the question as to why I sometimes get the problem with a quick get away when the gearbox hasn't gone back into 1st gear and I floor the throttle, nothing happens, the engine revs build slowly and then explode, I have complained to the dealer, and spoken to the Mechanic, who informed me that no fault exists, I have learned to live with the problem, which can be frightening, and dangerous. on all other occasions the gearbox changes are seamless and quick, and on kick down are, so quick it's as if the gearbox is reading my thoughts.

#13 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:58 PM

John/Plumber,

Does this happen only in D or also in Sport mode :huh:

Also does it happen when the box is cold and hot :mellow:
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#14 User is offline   plumber 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:37 PM

I don't give the car any stick until it warms up, so I have only had it happen when it's hot and in Drive. the Dealers Mechanic did advise me to use sport mode to prevent it happening, and it hasn't happened in that mode, and I must say it doesn't always do it in Drive, it tends to occur on roundabouts, especially when a 40 ton truck has entered the roundabout and there is just enough time to get out in front of it, perhaps the car hates me ?. or it's my driving. it used to do it in traffic and I have come close to rear ending a couple of cars, but that hasn't occurred for a long time. It has never occurred if I stop, 1st gear is selected, I then floor the throttle, acceleration is then normal .
I have got wise to it and when it occurs I don't floor the throttle if I can help it,

#15 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:48 PM

Sounds like the car is being intuitive to your driving situation. You are approaching a roundabout and are either braking or off the throttle, so flooring it might induce the delay you are referring to. Knocking it into Tip or Sport would put the box on notice something different is coming. If you are still moving and not quite stationary, it seems logical that using the paddles wouldn't immediately give you 1st either :unsure:

#16 User is offline   Probie 

• LocationSurrey
  • Time Online: 8d 19h 35m 17s

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:10 PM

I can get my box to change up at lower revs by easing off the throttle and then gently squeeze back on once it has changed up.
R Line 245PS, Canyon Grey, Vienna Seats, Memory Pack, Dynaudio, Area View, Dynamic CDC, Parking Heater, Pikes Peak, Swivelling Tow Bar, side steps (aftermarket)

#17 User is offline   plumber 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:55 PM

As time has gone on the situation has greatly improved, the car is out of guarantee now being 3 years and 3 months old, and with under 18000 miles on the clock doesn't get used all that much, I drive a T4 van most of the time, which weighs in at over 2 tons, and with only a 1900cc engine, that has 140000 miles on the clock, all short journeys, has to be driven hard, (foot through the floor) to get it to go, so perhaps I drive the Treg the same way as I drive the van, and at times it doesn't like it to much. and if that's the only complaint I have with the car, it can't be too bad really. The Treg has got to be the best car I have had in my nearly 48 years of driving, even better than the Nissan Patrol, that it superseded, that was a great car, I loved it.
Iv'e had some bloody rubbish cars in the past, the worst one was a Toyota Space Cruiser , paid about £9000 for it in 1984 which was quite alot of money, it wouldn't pull your hat off, and to pull out of junction, the road had to be completely clear, it's a wonder that I didn't suffer a stress related illness, no resale value, so I turned it into a van and worked it to death .

#18 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:42 PM

Are you an electrician then?

#19 User is offline   plumber 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:49 PM

I carry out Plumbing and heating repairs and installations, gas boiler repairs and servicing

#20 User is offline   johnatv8 

• View gallery

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:38 PM

View PostLoz, on 21 November 2014 - 10:28 PM, said:

There is a SW update for the asin (mine was done at the beginning of the month) but you might get what you want from Nooby's suggestion of a GBR.
This is because the car is designed to learn your driving pattern and I expect you were nailing it about when you first got it so it now always drives like that.
As plumber says they don't go back to 1st unless as a stand still because the 1st gear us so low you virtually pull away in 2nd and the v8 has even more torque so it is never going to stay long in first..

Loz, What did the update do operation of the gearbox and is the update quite recent?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chris Knott Insurance - Forum Sponsor

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.