Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

T3 retro fitting camera

14K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Wooddoor6 
#1 ·
#2 ·
#4 ·
Carcommunications price actually looks good for OEM kit, it's a shame there pictures don't actually show an RNS850, it's difficult to judge if it is really OEM camera kit or not.

#5 ·
Just resurrecting this thread to find the latest wisdom.

I'm after an OEM type kit for fitting RVC to a 2012 car.

Where's the best / cheapest place to order from? Are they pretty much the same kit?

I'm not too bad with electrics or recoding so not frightened to install myself.

I have a copy of VCDS but may need some guidance on settings.

Thanks, Bob

#7 ·
Thanks for the link Phil

That's one I had found by Googling but just a bit sceptical about ordering from our Chinese friends. Especially if I get nabbed for import duty, it may not be the bargain it seems. Has anyone on here fitted this kit?

The ones I have found so far are:

http://www.carnaviplayer.com/vw-touareg-2011-2014-rear-view-camera-p-962

https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/volkswagen/touareg/touareg-7p/rear-view-camera-retrofit-vw-tourag-7p

http://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/vw-touareg-7p-reversing-camera-retrofit

I'm erring toward the last on the list at the moment but the cheaper chinese one is very tempting to try.

Any other suggestions?

#8 ·
Carnaviplayer works perfectly, easy plug'n'play installation, no coding required.

#11 ·
Interesting...
Does it have all the same features as the factory cam?
How about but he purchase, did you have to pay import duty and if so, how much?
Thanks in advance.
Bob

#12 ·
Well, I got the carnaviplayer unit delivered in quick time. It took 4 days!

I've just started to try and fit but can't find the CAN bus connection. Can anyone tell me where to intercept the can bus?
The canaviplayer instructions are pretty basic and don't give full details of where to find everything.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Drivers footwell on top of the bracket that holds the convenience module.
You need to remove the fuse carrier and pull it out on its wires to get to it.

#17 ·
OK thanks Loz - I'll get the screwdriver out in a bit and investigate.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've now got the fuse panel out and had a good look inside and I'm fecked if I can see any module located directly behind or above. Chasing the main loom up it appears to go up and toward the bulkhead but surrounded by metalwork and plastic bracketry. Certainly nothing I can access from the fuse panel aperture. Can we find a diagram of the PDC location? I'm usually pretty good at tinkering with this stuff but its got me stumped.

#21 ·
Attached, but I have read it a few times and there is a discrepancy over "Drivers side fuse box" even though the instructions refer ro RHD it still says drivers side so it might mean passenger side. You could remove the glovebox..

View attachment J446.pdf

Attachments

#22 ·
Thanks Loz, top man!
Yes, it is correct and on it is on rhd drivers side but not exactly "just above the fuse box" as instructed.
You have to remove the whole lower dash panel, unscrew the fuse panel and swing down out of the way. Then you remove the convenience module and bracket holding the relay panel to reveal the bracket holding the pdc module way up inside the inside of the dash. You can then get to the connectors but the module itself is held on with a single screw and its easier to remove it, see what is there and examine the connector release method.
Thanks again Loz, I couldn't have done it without that helping hand.

#23 ·
Not sure if it uses the same canbus wires as the OEM unit but scouring through the wiring diagram I found that the it was the same canbus that links several things including the door control units.

When I fitted the OEM unit to my car I tapped into the two canbus wires in the passenger footwell where they head up towards the door rubber conduit. There was plenty of room to get access to them.

#24 ·
Yes I believe that it is just intercepting CAN high, CAN low and 12v power so could be done on any CAN cable. However, the kit comes with a simple piggy back lead so just a plug in job. It was a bit of a PITA to find but to be honest, once I found out where the PDC unit was, the rest was plain sailing. Once the cables were all run correctly it sprung into life just as it should. I'm well pleased with the result and chuffed that it was a fraction of the cost of an OEM kit.

#25 ·
Hello Soggy
Just came across this and looking to install the same camera, is there anything different you would do if installing again. I assume that the hardest part is locating the module under the driver side dash. How much dismantling is required.
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.