• You cannot reply to this topic

Buying a New Touareg What you need to know Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   Loz 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationBerkeley UK
  • Time Online: 306d 10h 17m 48s

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

As a complement to buying a used Touareg this is a list of recommendations and explanations to help those ordering a New factory car from the dealer when the salesperson has not been aware of, or fully explained the options.

Members are encouraged to add to this like we have done on other pinned information topics. If you would like to add your section in a reply, I'll add it to this post in the appropriate section.

Recommendations

Warranty
If you are buying to keep your car beyond 3 years, the 4th year Factory warranty can only be added at new order time, ask your salesman to add this to the order, don't be fobbed off with "You can order this at any time" as this will be their resold warranty not the Factory Warranty.

Towing (this section needs clarification by others)
If you intend to tow with your new Touareg it is advisable to order the factory towbar upgrade as it comes with a larger capacity cooling fan, dedicated and integrated control module that disables rear parking sensors and ties in with the alarm and stability program.

Dipping Mirror
You only get the dipping nearside mirror with the electric seats with memory pack.

Bluetooth
All models come with Bluetooth but only the Hands free part can be enabled post sale. If you want to be able to also stream music over bluetooth you will need the premium bluetooth upgrade.

Spare Wheel
Members have reported that sales are saying that a spacesaver is not available with the Adblue tank fitted to the T4. This is incorrect and a space-saver spare fits over and bolts down to the Adblue tank. We advise ordering a space-saver spare over just the sealant kit. Remind the salesperson that the space-saver spare is detailed in the brochure. A space-saver spare is also available as a spare part but costs 3 times more than putting it on your order.

Service Plans
Some dealers have servicing plans available but the best are VW ones from VW finance as they are transferrable and are often free with finance.

Lifeshine
Your salesman WILL try and sell you Lifeshine from Autoglym. This is not a 'product' but a process involving autoglym products and comes with a kit of products. It is a very expensive way of paying for a dealer to polish the car before you take delivery. We are not aware of any main dealer who ever does a good job washing/detailing a new car so you would be better saving your money(especially if you are taking finance) and paying for your car to be properly detailed by a professional with one of the recommended coating systems. Most professional detailers will also do this at the dealers prior to your collection and is the best experience in our opinion.

Features and extras.

Have a read of the Things you didn't know about your T3 topic to get a feel for some of the systems and their quirks. Below is a list of some of the features and what they do. Also attached to this post are some VW self study guides for those who would really like to understand the features before ordering or Just to trump the salesman with.

Adaptive Cruise Control
This system uses 2 radar units mounted inboard of the front fog lights and uses these to look for objects in from of the car, this data is used to maintain a user selectable gap between you and moving object in front of you. This can operate the brakes and accelerate back to cruising speed. There are settings in the infotainment system so select how aggressive you want it to react.

Panoramic sliding roof
The panoramic sliding roof in the Touareg 2011 consists of two glass panels. The front panel can be moved and guided externally; the rear one is firmly bolted in place. Efficient heat-insulating glass is used for both glass panels. An electrically adjustable sun blind is also included. Operation is carried out via a central operating switch. The wind deflector is spring loaded and extends and retracts as the roof opens/closes.

Powered opening and closing rear lid
The rear lid can be opened and closed via two electric spindle drives from the driver's door switch, using the rear lid handle release button above the number plate, the button on the bottom of the open lid or using the radio remote control. Sensor strips are installed in the side areas of the rear lid for more sensitive pinch protection.
There is also a fully hands-free option available that allows you to wave a leg under the rear to open the boot but this feature is only available if you have KESSY (Keyless entry and start).
Please note that the fully hands free opening (foot waving under bumper) is an additional purchase option.

Heated Steering Wheel
Available as an option it is enabled from Climate menu on T3 and additionally with separate button on T4

[WORK IN PROGRESS]

Attached File(s)

Regards Loz

VW California T6 MY17 204 DSG 4motion in Blackberry
Vag-Com if anyone in area needs to use it...
(previous)2011 T3 Escape - 2010 Tiguan R-Line 170 - 2010 Golf 170GTD DSG - Landcruiser 78 series(Troopie)
(previous)2009 Golf 140GT DSG - 2007 Shogun Warrior 3.2 SWB - 2001 Discovery 2
(previous)1999 Audi 2.4SE Avant....>>>>>>> way back.. Ford Mk1 Capri

Tip! Search this forum using google with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   Loz 

• View gallery
  • LocationBerkeley UK

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:50 AM

Does anyone have anything to add to this? Explanation of Ambient lighting pack over standard for instance?
Regards Loz

(previous)2011 T3 Escape - 2010 Tiguan R-Line 170 - 2010 Golf 170GTD DSG - Landcruiser 78 series(Troopie)

#3 User is offline   chaser 

• Mechanical Guru
  • Group: Full Member
  • Time Online: 95d 3h 56m 30s

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:06 PM

I think the ambient light pack on my T3 includes LED footwell, interior and reading lamps. Light strips in front and rear door trims. LEDs up under front and rear door grab handles and red warning lamps in front and rear doors.The whole lot is dimmable via the usual footwell light adjustment. Also it all lights up with leaving home function on unlocking.
Chaser...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current... Touareg R-Line Plus 3.0 V6 TDI 262PS 8-Speed Auto Tiptronic (from new). Area View, Canyon Grey Metallic, 21" Mallory Alloys, Dynamic CDC Air Suspension, Piano black decorative inlays with retrofit black surrounds on dashboard. 4way Electric R-Line Branded Two Tone Sports Seats in Nappa Leather, Memory Pack, Factory Tow Pack, Ambient Light Pack etc, etc,

Previous... Pure White 2014 Touareg V6
R-Line 3.0Tdi 245ps 8-speed Auto Tiptronic (from new). Factory swivelling tow pack. Fully wired 13pin electrics. 9x20" Pikes Peak alloys. Piano black decorative inlays. Interior ambient light pack. Reversing camera.

Before that... Salt Lake Grey 2006 Touareg 2.5 Tdi SE Sport Auto (from 26k miles)

#4 User is offline   merlin247 

• View gallery
  • LocationBromley
  • Time Online: 9d 16h 29m 10s

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:44 AM

There is a glitch with the VW T4 R Line configurator.

It will not allow one to add the £100 memory option to St Tropez Nappa seats. It will add the £520 option.

However the dealer informs me that he was able to add the £100 memory to my order.
Regards Merlin

T4 R Line 262, Canyon Grey, Talladegas, St Tropez Nappa, Memory, Piano Black, Dynamic CDC Air Suspension, Area View, Tow Bar.
T3 SE 245, LHD, Canyon Grey, CSB Leather, RNS850, Keyless, CDC Air suspension, Bi-Xenons, Panoramic roof, Electric tailgate, Side Assist, Aux heater, Elec seats, Heated front screen, Dynamic light assist, 4 zone climate control, Heated rear seats.
TVR Griffith 500 LE No 6 of 100
Merlin TF 2.8
BMW 330D coupe

#5 User is offline   merlin247 

• View gallery
  • LocationBromley

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:29 PM

Regarding a space saver tyre I just got this from the dealer I have ordered through.

"I have found out from build week 07 2015 all Touareg will be built with the space saver spare wheel as standard equipment, replacing the tyre mobility."

Hope it's fact! ;)
Regards Merlin

T4 R Line 262, Canyon Grey, Talladegas, St Tropez Nappa, Memory, Piano Black, Dynamic CDC Air Suspension, Area View, Tow Bar.
T3 SE 245, LHD, Canyon Grey, CSB Leather, RNS850, Keyless, CDC Air suspension, Bi-Xenons, Panoramic roof, Electric tailgate, Side Assist, Aux heater, Elec seats, Heated front screen, Dynamic light assist, 4 zone climate control, Heated rear seats.
Merlin TF 2.8
BMW 330D coupe

#6 User is offline   merlin247 

• View gallery
  • LocationBromley

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:32 AM

I take on board the detailed post from Loz about the pick up of a new car, but how to pay the money?

Surely not a good idea to pay prior to pick up!

But assuming all is OK how to drive it away then and there?

1) Big suitcase of folding?

2) Max out quite a few credit cards?

3) Take laptop, do Bank transfer and wait maybe 2 hours?

4) ?????????????
Regards Merlin

Merlin TF 2.8
BMW 330D coupe

#7 User is offline   roytour 

• Elite Member
  • View gallery
  • LocationMontauriol, France
  • Time Online: 95d 11h 24m 47s

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:50 AM

View Postmerlin247, on 11 March 2015 - 09:32 AM, said:

I take on board the detailed post from Loz about the pick up of a new car, but how to pay the money?

Surely not a good idea to pay prior to pick up!

But assuming all is OK how to drive it away then and there?

1) Big suitcase of folding?

2) Max out quite a few credit cards?

3) Take laptop, do Bank transfer and wait maybe 2 hours?

4) ?????????????

Quicker payments are immediate nowadays and if you have a decent bank they do not limit how many or alternatively you just give your debit card details to the dealer if paying full, advice is always to part pay on cc card , first its nice to collect kickbacks second you get the CC section 15 or whatever protection ..
2014 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in titan black, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Retractable Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare, Area View, Rear sunblinds, Parking Heater, heated front windscreen, Google Earth - oh yes and a heated steering wheel :)

Gone but not forgotten - 58 plate altitude v6 3.0 240ps

#8 User is offline   Sherwood 

• View gallery
  • LocationHowardian Hills, North Yorks
  • Time Online: 15d 18h 50m 7s

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:17 PM

View PostLoz, on 22 August 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

Warranty
If you are buying to keep your car beyond 3 years, the 4th year Factory warranty can only be added at new order time, ask your salesman to add this to the order, don't be fobbed off with "You can order this at any time" as this will be their resold warranty not the Factory Warranty.

This is very wise advice, and I'd certainly recommend anyone considering an EFW to arrange it when ordering.

But if you forget, there might still be hope. I didn't specify an EFW on my initial order on 13 Jul 2015, but subsequently changed my mind. Build was confirmed for w/c 07 Sep, then brought forward tow/c 31 Aug. I phoned the VWD on 24 Jul to express an interest in a 4-year EFW, but my salesman contact was away on holiday and no one else seemed willing/able to do anything about it. I emailed the salesman so that I had written evidence of wanting an EFW before build commenced - and I emphasised that I wanted a FACTORY Warranty, not some Dealership arrangement.

Heard nothing more until I was informed on 15 Sep that my Treg Escape was at the dealership! I emailed back requesting that the vehicle not be registered until a 4-year EFW was confirmed. On 21 Sep I was emailed a scan of the VWD's application to VW for an EFW. The car was registered on 30 Sep.

I did get a 4-year VW EFW. The sticker on the Vehicle Data page at the front of the car's Service Schedule was stamped at the dealership with "VW 4 year/75,000 mile warranty". Apparently, VW requires its dealers to keep this stamp under lock and key.

So, the morale of this tale is:

1. If you do want an EFW, make your mind up early and add it to the initial vehicle order.

2. But if you don't add it at the start, all is not lost - so long as you request the desired EFW through your VWD before the vehicle isregistered. Date of registration (not build) appears to be the cut-off . . . . so long as you have a helpful and cooperative salesperson!
Oct 2015 262ps T4 Escape (4XMOTION), Canyon Grey metallic, Titan Black 'Vienna' 14-way electric leather seats, bi-xenon 35W cornering lights + LED DRLs with headlight wash system, MF wheel + paddle-shift, Dynaudio, factory tow-bar (now with 850W cooling fan!), airbag pack, VW rubber mats + heavy-duty boot liner, 4 x RGM sill-guards, 18" VW 'Karakum' alloys (Michelin Latitude Cross summer) + 17" VW 'Sima' alloys (Goodyear Ultragrip Performance SUV Gen-1 winter)

Previously: BMW E46 330Ci Sport (2003-2015); Porsche 968 Sport (1994-2003) . . . . a sublime driving experience!; VW Golf Mk.2 GTI 16V (1992-1994); VW Golf Mk.2 GTI 8V (1990-1992); Ford Cortina Mk.5 1.6 GL (1987-1990); Toyota Corolla saloon (1986-1987).

#9 User is offline   Sherwood 

• View gallery
  • LocationHowardian Hills, North Yorks
  • Time Online: 15d 18h 50m 7s

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:07 AM

When buying a new or used Touareg, ask for a 10-litre AdBlue refill plus a refill hose as part of the deal. (Indeed, ask nicely, and a good VWD will provide them for free - even after the car has been paid for.)

The refill hose's VW part number is 000-012-499.

And after using the refill, keep the container. You'll be able to get it refilled again at some garage forecourts - much cheaper than buying bottles/containers from a VWD.
Oct 2015 262ps T4 Escape (4XMOTION), Canyon Grey metallic, Titan Black 'Vienna' 14-way electric leather seats, bi-xenon 35W cornering lights + LED DRLs with headlight wash system, MF wheel + paddle-shift, Dynaudio, factory tow-bar (now with 850W cooling fan!), airbag pack, VW rubber mats + heavy-duty boot liner, 4 x RGM sill-guards, 18" VW 'Karakum' alloys (Michelin Latitude Cross summer) + 17" VW 'Sima' alloys (Goodyear Ultragrip Performance SUV Gen-1 winter)

Previously: BMW E46 330Ci Sport (2003-2015); Porsche 968 Sport (1994-2003) . . . . a sublime driving experience!; VW Golf Mk.2 GTI 16V (1992-1994); VW Golf Mk.2 GTI 8V (1990-1992); Ford Cortina Mk.5 1.6 GL (1987-1990); Toyota Corolla saloon (1986-1987).

#10 User is offline   Lordwanswell 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Time Online: 23h 15m 47s

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:21 AM

Colleagues
My PCP agreement is up in two months so I am looking for a new or slightly used Treg. Any advice on what I should be looking for?
Lordwanswell
T3 SE V6 TDI, 2011, Campanella White

#11 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• Lifelong Motorhead
  • View gallery
  • LocationSouth Staffordshire
  • Time Online: 434d 12h 23m 5s

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:27 AM

View PostLordwanswell, on 21 January 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

Colleagues
My PCP agreement is up in two months so I am looking for a new or slightly used Treg. Any advice on what I should be looking for?

Pay the "final payment" and buy the one you have - a 2014-on Touareg will be a T4 so you'll be taking a 10% hit on fuel consumption if you switch.
2016 MY Touareg SE 262 - Reef Blue

#12 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery
  • LocationHarry Hotspur land !
  • Time Online: 169d 5h 38m 10s

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:46 AM

Anyone looking to buy a new T4 now will be buying a run-out model before the new T5 starts production later this year.

The Escape model has already been dropped, leaving you only the choice between the SE, R-Line and R-Line Plus models - all diesels.

Bear in mind that this will significantly increase depreciation on your car, so you need to maximise your purchase discount. VW are currently advertising up to £6k discount on new cars (typically £5k on the R-Line), if you purchase in a PCP basis with VW Solutions - if you order via a broker, you can save significantly more as you will also be getting a fleet purchase discount. Plenty of brokers out there from Carfile, Orange Wheels and Car Wow - so check the pricing and offers on their websites ;)

Buying on VW Solutions will also get you further incentives such as a subsidised service plan - good for savings and managing the running costs.

Discounts on new factory orders should continue to the cut off point and any remaining cars will simply be shipped to the dealers to sell off but some dealers might not pass on all the available discount, as they look to maximise their profit margin.

As already suggested you can cancel the PCP just after purchase if you wish without penalty.
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#13 User is offline   Lordwanswell 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:37 PM

Thanks guys, useful tips. I don't really want to keep this one but perhaps I need to find a way of hanging on for the T5.
Lordwanswell

#14 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 162d 6h 31m 30s

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:01 PM

That's 18 months to wait then, until the early bird customers have sorted out some of the problems VW have missed in their million miles of so-called prototype testing!
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:

http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used VW Touareg that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:

http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1, 957 = T2, 958.1 = T3 and 958.2 = T4

#15 User is offline   Lordwanswell 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:13 PM

Have decided to go ahead and I collect my new T4 RLine on Friday. Any tips on what I should ask for, or expect welcome.
Lordwanswell

#16 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery
  • LocationHarry Hotspur land !
  • Time Online: 169d 5h 38m 10s

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:33 AM

http://www.mytreg.co...-a-new-touareg/

http://www.mytreg.co...tion-checklist/
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#17 User is offline   Lordwanswell 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:19 AM

Thanks. I haven't had GardX applied, should I consider having another protection product from a detailer?
Lordwanswell

#18 User is offline   Loz 

• View gallery
  • LocationBerkeley UK

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:41 AM

View PostLordwanswell, on 27 February 2017 - 08:19 AM, said:

Thanks. I haven't had GardX applied, should I consider having another protection product from a detailer?

Hi Steve
If you want a coating then consider something like Gtechniq which is a proper permanent coating rather than the dealer preferred Autoglym life shine.
However judging by the colour of your car yesterday a professional coating would help to keep cleaner and easier to wash :) .
Regards Loz

#19 User is offline   Lordwanswell 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

Thanks Loz. Agree car is a disgrace, just couldn't be bothered to wash before I take in to garage 😉 Do you know who does the coating locally?
Lordwanswell

#20 User is offline   Loz 

• View gallery
  • LocationBerkeley UK

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:42 PM

View PostLordwanswell, on 27 February 2017 - 02:25 PM, said:

Thanks Loz. Agree car is a disgrace, just couldn't be bothered to wash before I take in to garage 😉 Do you know who does the coating locally?

Adam at Revolution detailing in Yate is our closest.
Regards Loz

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chris Knott Insurance - Forum Sponsor

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.