#1 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationHarry Hotspur land !
  • Time Online: 169d 7h 2m 59s

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

View Postcookie17, on 21 January 2014 - 09:30 PM, said:

Thanks Cass
Think I'll Go to the dealer as there is 2 years left on warranty, The beast has to go back to get all 4 alloys replaced under warranty as well.

Which type/size of wheels are they cookie :huh:

Is corrosion the issue :unsure:
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   cookie17 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Member
  • Locationseaham
  • Time Online: 1d 18h 49m 42s

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

Yes they have all corroded and its very disapointing, they are the 20in pollished alloys.

#3 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:37 PM

View Postcookie17, on 21 January 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:

Yes they have all corroded and its very disapointing, they are the 20in pollished alloys.

Metropolitans :huh:
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#4 User is offline   cookie17 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Locationseaham

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:04 AM

Thats the ones ! Is it a common problem with these wheels or is it just our northeast salt air ?

#5 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

I think of all the polished alloys, the Metropolitans will show any corrosion up the worst as having a complete reflective surface, defects in the clearcoat lacquer will stand out and obviously corrosion will eat straight into the exposed alloy.

Next at risk would be the Tarragonas but so far I haven't heard of any issues, but maybe it's too early to tell yet. I had a set of 18" Monza II alloys on my 2006 Golf GTI Mk V, lovely they were but 2 needed replacing due to corrosion in less than 18 months. As they had a diamond cut finish to them, not that dissimilar to the Tarragonas, I'm glad they were replaced under warranty rather than having an attempted repair.

I'm guessing cost cutting/poor finishing is to blame and it's simply pot luck but at least in your case you are getting a complete new set, so make sure that are properly balanced and torqued up when fitted to prevent any wheel vibrations which are not unknown on the T3 ;)

And keep an eye on them for any further signs of the dreaded spiders-legs :rolleyes:

#6 User is offline   HEHEY 

• Elite Deserter
  • Group: Club Member
  • LocationManchester
  • Time Online: 28d 4h 48m 56s

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

I'm interested to see if the stealer replaces the tyres as well. VW Stockport replaced a 20" Ayres Rock alloy on my 09 T2 under warranty and promptly tried to charge me for the new tyre they had fitted as "It's VW policy not to fit used tyres to new wheels".

Regardless of the fact that by their own admission there was nothing wrong with the tyre, they refused point blank to refit the tyre that was originally fitted to the car and left it in the boot. I got in the car and drove away waving two fingers out of the window. Nothing more came of it and I had the tyres swapped elsewhere.
Currently On The Drive
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE (Mr H)
Tdi Defender 90 (Mr H Project/Plaything)
V8 Discovery (Horse Tug)
Nissan Puke (Mrs H)
Seat Agrosa (Ms H)
Renault Trafic (Mr H)
86 Vespa PX200E (Mr H)[/font]

Still Wants:
Bedford T Series

Once had a Treg but like the banter on here :-)

#7 User is offline   Greg 

• View gallery
  • LocationPreston,Lancashire
  • Time Online: 9d 11h 43m 18s

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

Had the same problem with my Metropolitans , have two sets ( second set new off ebay but grey ) and couldn't be bothered to go to the dealer so I got them both powder coated,

the finish is almost identical , really pleased with them and they clean easy and will not corrode again , I know a lot of people don't like this style of wheel

but I personally think the go well with the pearl black and chrome highlights on the car.

Greg

VW Touareg 2016 R Line , Reef Blue, parking heater , 100 litre fuel tank ,14 way upgrade leather seats , Westfalia tow bar, sometimes with a canoe on top and with a caravan in tow
Previously VW Touareg 2011 SE in Pearl Black with lots of extras, had for about 5 yrs

#8 User is offline   Caladan 

• LocationSurrey
  • Time Online: 20d 9h 13m 4s

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

Basically the message is - if you care about the look of your wheels and don't want to pay for frequent refurbs and don't live in the Arizona desert, best avoid anything with diamond cuts, polished metal. Reason I paid the £100 extra for the Pike's on mine after watching a set of Atheos degrade and degrade again following a refurb. Plus of course any repairs and refurbs are cheaper on painted rims too. Aesthetics versus practicality...the bane of a man's life: starts with girlfriends and ends up with alloy wheels :blink:
Current: 3.0L R-line White, Moonrock Vienna seats, piano black inserts, CDC, air-bag pack, parking heater/heated screen, towbar, Dynaudio, sun-blinds, blind spot assist, traffic sign recog., aerial view, dynamic light assist, Pikes Peak Summers, Karakum Winters.
Previous: Touareg V10

#9 User is offline   cookie17 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Locationseaham

Posted 21 November 2020 - 03:19 PM

View PostCaladan, on 22 January 2014 - 12:15 PM, said:

Basically the message is - if you care about the look of your wheels and don't want to pay for frequent refurbs and don't live in the Arizona desert, best avoid anything with diamond cuts, polished metal. Reason I paid the £100 extra for the Pike's on mine after watching a set of Atheos degrade and degrade again following a refurb. Plus of course any repairs and refurbs are cheaper on painted rims too. Aesthetics versus practicality...the bane of a man's life: starts with girlfriends and ends up with alloy wheels :blink:

Just had my metropolitans powder coated in a chrome finish, no more polishing the corroded areas. they look much better than before and are totally sealed.

#10 User is offline   Jaycee531 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationGlasgow
  • Time Online: 2d 52m 31s

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:45 PM

Polished wheels in Scotland’s salt bath for 5 months is a disaster.just cut out the middle man and wash them with a Brillo pad 🥴if lived in Spain maybe .
Never had any, never will, Pikes peak are still like brand new.

#11 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery

Posted 22 November 2020 - 06:33 AM

View Postcookie17, on 21 November 2020 - 03:19 PM, said:

Just had my metropolitans powder coated in a chrome finish, no more polishing the corroded areas. they look much better than before and are totally sealed.

Got any pics :huh:

#12 User is offline   cookie17 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Locationseaham

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:07 PM

They are better when clean.

Attached File(s)

#13 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery

Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:22 AM

Nice finish for powder coating ;)

#14 User is offline   Jaycee531 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationGlasgow
  • Time Online: 2d 52m 31s

Posted 27 November 2020 - 07:59 PM

Far better option for Uk salted roads 👌

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.