Things You May Not Know About Your T3/4 - myTreg forums

myTreg forums: Things You May Not Know About Your T3/4 - myTreg forums

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Things You May Not Know About Your T3/4 and your new item when you find one! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   filgreen 

• Honoured Member
  • View gallery
  • Group: Club Member
  • LocationBlack Isle, Highlands
  • Time Online: 39d 21h 17m 49s

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

Here's the first strange one I've found:

Start the car, in order to engage Drive you must depress the brake pedal. Naturally, the brake lights will illuminate. Now, when you take your foot off the brake to pull away, the brake lights remain on until either about ten seconds elapse or you depress the throttle and at the moment the car moves-the brake lights go out.

Any others?

Here's another: start the car with park brake on, engage drive, then fasten your seat belt. The act of fastening your seat belt will switch off the park brake but the brakes won't release until you depress the throttle.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   dailysmoker 

• Elite Member
  • View gallery
  • LocationYorkshire
  • Time Online: 100d 15h 52m 59s

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

The second one sounds logical but as I always put my seatbelt on as I drive down our road (stupid I know) I haven't noticed.

The first one is probably a sticking brake light switch. Send it back, reject it!

Dont worry, I will ring Chris Craft for you. 😜
Current car - Porsche Macan Turbo only on here as it is a great forum and they still talk to me!

Previous car - Black 2012 V8TDi Altitude 340 (tweaked). The most proper car to date!
Metropolitan alloys, pano roof, parking heater, digital TV, 4 zone climate, spare wheel, 12 way Nappa seats, no stop/start function..........................

Previous previous car - Black 2011 V6 TDi Altitude 240. Still a proper car.

Previous previous previous car - Silver 2007 3.0TDi (tweaked). A proper car.

#3 User is offline   Loz 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationBerkeley UK
  • Time Online: 306d 10h 17m 48s

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

Your describing the function of the auto hold, that applies the brakes on your behalf hence the brake lights are still on, if you look down as you click in your belt you'll see the auto hold switch light up.

Also have you noticed the seatbelts tighten as you pull away at the same time as the doors lock?

How about the red warning symbol and press brake! If you close up too fast on the car in front?

Radio drops a notch as the motor stops at the lights.

I love the interaction between the systems..
Regards Loz

VW California T6 MY17 204 DSG 4motion in Blackberry
Vag-Com if anyone in area needs to use it...
(previous)2011 T3 Escape - 2010 Tiguan R-Line 170 - 2010 Golf 170GTD DSG - Landcruiser 78 series(Troopie)
(previous)2009 Golf 140GT DSG - 2007 Shogun Warrior 3.2 SWB - 2001 Discovery 2
(previous)1999 Audi 2.4SE Avant....>>>>>>> way back.. Ford Mk1 Capri

Tip! Search this forum using google with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

#4 User is offline   Ty Rua 

• Group: Full Member
  • LocationWherever the sun is...
  • Time Online: 40d 10h 26m 53s

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

Loz, on 10 April 2012 - 08:52 PM, said:

How about the red warning symbol and press brake! If you close up too fast on the car in front?

Only with adaptive cruise, methinks.

#5 User is offline   dailysmoker 

• Elite Member
  • View gallery
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

I'm going to have to pay more attention.

Cue running into the back of someone as I try to find new clever things the Toerag is doing for me!

DS
Current car - Porsche Macan Turbo only on here as it is a great forum and they still talk to me!

Previous car - Black 2012 V8TDi Altitude 340 (tweaked). The most proper car to date!
Metropolitan alloys, pano roof, parking heater, digital TV, 4 zone climate, spare wheel, 12 way Nappa seats, no stop/start function..........................

#6 User is offline   Loz 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationBerkeley UK
  • Time Online: 306d 10h 17m 48s

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

dailysmoker, on 10 April 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

I'm going to have to pay more attention.

Cue running into the back of someone as I try to find new clever things the Toerag is doing for me!

DS

your not wrong there! The acc does a great job tailgating and will draw up behind the car in front and politely waits for you to touch the throttle to pull away again. But the system is not designed to stop the car if you approach stationary traffic, although if you approach a car that suddenly slams on the brakes, turning left at the last minute say, it breaks first with a little jolt to engage the seatbelt and check you are awake sounds a very loud warning bleep and shows a double red chevron on the display, if you don't react by braking it slams on the anchors.

So far I can get the first stage to happen but I can't override my own reaction to test the second part :)
Regards Loz

VW California T6 MY17 204 DSG 4motion in Blackberry
Vag-Com if anyone in area needs to use it...
(previous)2011 T3 Escape - 2010 Tiguan R-Line 170 - 2010 Golf 170GTD DSG - Landcruiser 78 series(Troopie)
(previous)2009 Golf 140GT DSG - 2007 Shogun Warrior 3.2 SWB - 2001 Discovery 2
(previous)1999 Audi 2.4SE Avant....>>>>>>> way back.. Ford Mk1 Capri

Tip! Search this forum using google with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

#7 User is offline   Garee 

• View gallery
  • LocationNorth East
  • Time Online: 15d 10h 29m 1s

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

Turning left or right at night causing the corresponding fog lamp to illuminate really tickled my fancy when I first spotted it happening.
Currently: 2015 3.0 V6 262PS TDi T4 R-Line, Canyon Grey Metallic, Titan Black Vienna with Memory, Area View, Towbar, CDC Air Suspension
Previously: 2014 3.0 V6 245PS TDi T3 Escape, Night Blue Metallic, Titan Black Vienna with Memory, Area View, Privacy Glass, Towbar, Electric Tailgate
Previously: 2011 3.0 V6 240PS TDi T3 Escape, Dark Flint Metallic, Titan Black Vienna, Area View, Privacy Glass, Towbar

#8 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 162d 6h 31m 30s

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

Loz, on 10 April 2012 - 09:25 PM, said:

your not wrong there! The acc does a great job tailgating and will draw up behind the car in front and politely waits for you to touch the throttle to pull away again. But the system is not designed to stop the car if you approach stationary traffic, although if you approach a car that suddenly slams on the brakes, turning left at the last minute say, it breaks first with a little jolt to engage the seatbelt and check you are awake sounds a very loud warning bleep and shows a double red chevron on the display, if you don't react by braking it slams on the anchors.

So far I can get the first stage to happen but I can't override my own reaction to test the second part :)

When you do can you set a video camera running first . . . !
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:

http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used VW Touareg that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:

http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1, 957 = T2, 958.1 = T3 and 958.2 = T4

#9 User is offline   dailysmoker 

• Elite Member
  • View gallery
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

I had a Hybrid demonstrator for a day with the adaptive cruise and managed to trust myself to let it drive from the M1 all the way into the centre of Shiney Sheffield (about 4 miles with roundabouts and traffic lights aplenty) without touching the pedals. Very clever.

The emergency brake was activated on a separate journey when I got too close to a car turning into a junction. I was only travelling at about 5 mph but it still kicked in and did make me jump. I thought a wheel had come off!

DS

#10 User is offline   Ty Rua 

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

Press the key fob once to unlock the drivers door, twice for both front doors, a third time for the rear doors and sometimes a fourth for the rear door. That's what is set on the Altitude I'm driving.

#11 User is offline   johned45 

• Locationnear Cambridge
  • Time Online: 28d 22h 14m 30s

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

Mus, on 11 April 2012 - 08:02 AM, said:

Press the key fob once to unlock the drivers door, twice for both front doors, a third time for the rear doors and sometimes a fourth for the rear door. That's what is set on the Altitude I'm driving.

pressing the unlock / lock buttons on the key fob for several seconds will open or close all windows and sunroof,
Escape 262 (Canyon Grey) ordered 14th August 2015, build week confirmed as 28th Sept, collected 28th October 2015.

Added options are Bi-xenon headlights, CDC, Vienna Leather 14-way seats, Area View Camera, Dynamic Light Assist, Pano Sunroof, Memory Pack Plus, Towbar, Keyless Entry, Multi-function Heated Steering Wheel.
Mudflaps fitted, and swap to A/T tyres, Nitrogen filled Michelin Latitude Cross (I am amazed on quoted price range on the tyres!!)

245 R-Line (Black) as of Dec 1st 2013
June 2013 - 245 Altitude
June 2011 - June 2013 240SE, came minus BT, and VW saying not possible to switch on (exp retrofit!), found VCDS local guy, had BT enabled in 10 mins... running on Grabber AT's all year round.
Feb 2008 - June 2011 T2 SE.
Aug 2001 - Feb 2008 - Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 (LPG converted from new).

#12 User is offline   filgreen 

• Honoured Member
  • View gallery

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

Mus, on 11 April 2012 - 08:02 AM, said:

Or just tell the car via setup to unlock all doors with one press of unlock button when you get fed forgetting to click twice :)

Don't need anti-hijack measures up here.:)

#13 User is offline   filgreen 

• Honoured Member
  • View gallery

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

Here's another pulling away one.

Start car, don't put seat belt on, engage Drive, floor throttle.......nothing, absolutely nothing will happen. Engine remains at tickover, car stays put, will not do a thing till you put your seat belt on.

Radio volume reduced when reverse engaged, also when Area view Camera selected.

#14 User is offline   filgreen 

• Honoured Member
  • View gallery

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

Your describing the function of the auto hold, that applies the brakes on your behalf hence the brake lights are still on, if you look down as you click in your belt you'll see the auto hold switch light up.

Also have you noticed the seatbelts tighten as you pull away at the same time as the doors lock?

Haven't noticed the belts, will check the Auto Hold light, but I haven't noticed it.

#15 User is offline   Ty Rua 

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

filgreen, on 11 April 2012 - 09:44 AM, said:

Or just tell the car via setup to unlock all doors with one press of unlock button when you get fed forgetting to click twice :)

Unlock regime was first thing I changed on my car. But why the sound reduction in reverse? Is that to hear the screams of the person you've just run over?
And who gets ACC? Not everyone - is it just with Automatic Distance Control?

#16 User is offline   filgreen 

• Honoured Member
  • View gallery

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

Mus, on 11 April 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

Unlock regime was first thing I changed on my car. But why the sound reduction in reverse? Is that to hear the screams of the person you've just run over?
And who gets ACC? Not everyone - is it just with Automatic Distance Control?

Good one Mus, deserves a smiley, but using phone.

There are other times the radio volume is reduced, one of which is when you select Area View manually.

And why is Volkswagen (as far as I know) the only manufacturer that doesn't have a mute button on its radio?

Annoying.

However, here's another T3ism, manually reduce the volume when playing media (HDD or SD Card) and if you reduce the volume to zero, the media is paused until the volume is turned up again. Clever. Maybe too clever, all this automation.

#17 User is offline   Ty Rua 

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

filgreen, on 11 April 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

And why is Volkswagen (as far as I know) the only manufacturer that doesn't have a mute button on its radio?

However, here's another T3ism, manually reduce the volume when playing media (HDD or SD Card) and if you reduce the volume to zero, the media is paused until the volume is turned up again. Clever. Maybe too clever, all this automation.

The radio mutes on reception of phone calls - but when SHMBO speaks I want the volume up! Selective hearing, so happy with that.
I like clever, though. Media paused? - neat touch.

#18 User is offline   filgreen 

• Honoured Member
  • View gallery

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

Nope.

Start car, press brake, engage drive, park brake on and lit, put on seat belt park brake light goes out, Auo Hold does not light up, car is held on brakes, brakes released and brake lights extinguished as soon as throttle depressed.

It sounds like the Auto Hold function but it isn't switched on and its light doesn't come on during this process.

#19 User is offline   Ty Rua 

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

filgreen, on 11 April 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

Nope.

Start car, press brake, engage drive, park brake on and lit, put on seat belt park brake light goes out, Auo Hold does not light up, car is held on brakes, brakes released and brake lights extinguished as soon as throttle depressed.

It sounds like the Auto Hold function but it isn't switched on and its light doesn't come on during this process.

Agreed. Light goes off. Tried it tonight. But the car will not proceed without seatbelt fastened, and auto hold and brake are lit regardless until belt is fastened. Throttle pressure causes hold to extinguish. Nanny state now functional reality.

#20 User is offline   dailysmoker 

• Elite Member
  • View gallery
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

Tried it myself tonight. Park brake acts as you describe irrespective of auto hold being activated or not. Auto hold is a whole separate thing that works every time you come to a halt. I fluctuate between liking it and it annoying me!

DS

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.