Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Touareg Sold - A summary of Treg ownership. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Spares 

• Group: Full Member
  • Time Online: 1d 19h 6m 57s

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:42 PM

Sadly I have sold the Treg, so I thought as many of the questions that crop up on the forum are related to the cost of ownership, I'd post a summary of what mine cost me over nearly five years of ownership.

Bought at 18 months old in January 2009, it was a 2007 Mark 2 3.0 TDI SE DPF with 29000 miles on the clock, I paid the absolute bargain price of £17000.00 for it.Imagine being able to buy an 18 month old Treg now for that kind of money ! It had had one Long Life service at 17000 miles, and came of course with the balance of the manufacturers 3 year warranty. It had 86000 miles on the clock when sold.

Servicing & repairs were always carried out by my local VW dealer to manufacturers specification. The dealer always provided an excellent service. servicing costs were :-
LL2 @ 35380 miles £307.42
LL3 @ 51725 miles £223.37
LL4 @ 66561 miles £355.60
LL5 @ 80590 miles £273.71

In addition to the above, I fitted 2 sets of front & 1 set of rear brake pads, the discs were still within spec so were not changed.
I only fitted Pagid pads & sensors, these were around £85.00 front & £70.00 rear from memory, I fitted them myself which was very easy to do, so no labour costs.

The car was fitted with OE Bridgestone Duellers which were good tyres, but very expensive, so when they were worn out I replaced them with a set of Falken Ziex, which gave excellent grip in all conditions including mud & snow.
When they wore out I replaced them with Grabber UHP's, as they were getting rave reviews on the forum. I was disappointed with the UHP's, they had a high rolling resistance which was very noticeable when in slow moving traffic,it felt like a brake was dragging slightly, if it was slipped into neutral whilst rolling you could feel the drag and would quite quickly roll to a stop. As they started to wear they got noisy too, I thought I had a front diff bearing going, but after having the diff oil changed to check for contamination (which was clear) it turned out to be tyre noise, it sounded just like a worn transmission bearing.
The UHP's were replaced with a set of Grabber GT's, which are a huge improvement on the old UHP, very quiet and smooth.

The car was very reliable, the only fault was with the swirl flap servo motors which caused the fault light to come on just a few days prior to service 4, this was diagnosed during the service and I was quoted £1545.00 to replace the manifolds and motors. Fortunately my dealer negotiated with VW UK & the factory and managed to get a goodwill contribution, they also gave a contribution which brought the final bill to myself down to £385.54.

The only other expense was a four wheel laser alignment £110.00,highly recommended, and a set of genuine VW wiper blades £40.63, the dealer replaced a blown headlight bulb free of charge.

Long term fuel use was 26.4mpg on the MFD which was never re set so was genuinely long term, the car was mainly used for commuting on A & B roads on a 14 mile round trip with the occasional longer run, and was used for towing a caravan a couple of times a year.
I never had to top up the engine oil between services.

Overall the car was a gem, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the V6 Treg to anyone. I would always recommend main dealer servicing as they have the equipment and the knowledge to look after the car properly, and can assist in squeezing goodwill contributions from the manufacturer for out of warranty repairs, and always buy high quality or oem consumable parts such as wiper blades, brake pads & sensors, headlight bulbs etc.

So it was a sad day seeing it go, tempered by the new purchase, an Audi A4 Avant 3.0 TDI quattro S-Line Black Edition 245ps, so still in the VAG family and still with that great V6 TDI motor.

I've found the forum to be sometimes funny, often controversial, but always informative. Many thanks and best wishes to all, I'll keep looking in occasionally and maybe contribute if I can.

Spares.
Present - Audi A4 Avant 3.0 TDI quattro S-Line Black Edition 245ps

Sadly Gone -Black phase 2 2007 V6 TDI SE DPF, Privacy glass, Detachable tow bar (Pukka one), Otherwise usual standard fayre

Present - BMW K1300S Motorsport, 175hp Bahnstormer.

Present - Yamaha YZF-R1 1000cc Superbike, Bog standard, scary fast

Present - Yamaha Aerox 50cc scooter, Bog standard, scary slow

Gone- Passat 1.9 TDI Sport

Gone- Audi A3 1.8 Turbo Sport

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 165d 12h 30m 12s

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:39 PM

Great post.

I've added a link to it to the "buying a Touareg" thread.

Good luck with the new motor.
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:
http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg and here:
https://www.autoevol...swagen/touareg/

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used Generation 1 VW Touareg [T1 & T2 2002-10] that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:
http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1; 957 = T2; 958.1 = T3; 958.2 = T4; 9YA = T5
Brilliant site with a lot of information and many photos of all the Cayenne models since launch! https://www.stuttcar...ls/cayenne/958/

#3 User is offline   Smiffy 

• View gallery
  • Locationsolihull
  • Time Online: 59d 9h 14m 2s

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. It's always good to hear the good stories of ownership - too often these forums are a place for the horror stories.

You must be enjoying a big performance boost in that A4!

I wish you well with Audi.

Don't be a stranger!
Current car 2013 Touareg R-Line 245, Canyon Grey, Pikes Peak, Tow bar, Space saver spare
Towed 2013 Holtkamper Cocoon XL MTT
Her car 2010 Skoda Yeti 1.2 TSi SE, Tangarine (possibly the best car made by VAG!?)

#4 User is offline   smarty156 

• Time Online: 15d 9h 33m 18s

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:43 PM

Sounds almost identical to my car and ownership experience - even down to having the manifolds replaced (under Warranty Direct warranty in my case) and replacing original Bridgestone tyres with Grabber GTs!
My 2007 SE hasn't got a DPF though (thank god).
I've also gone for time and distance servicing with the VW 2 year service package. Much cheaper and healthier for the engine I think.
Had mine 3 1/2 years and won't be changing yet. Was thinking of an A6 3.0 tdi quattro for my next car though. Possibly S Line Black Edition! How spooky.
2007 T2 3.0 V6 TDi SE

#5 User is offline   Cass 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationHarry Hotspur land !
  • Time Online: 170d 7h 54m 42s

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

Good to hear of your ownership experience and your comments on the forum overall - I'm sure we all concur :lol:

Good luck with the new car and let us know how you get on with it - it will be interesting to see how the suspension, driving position, steering, overall comfort and running costs compare with the Treg :huh:
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#6 User is offline   Probie 

• LocationSurrey
  • Time Online: 8d 19h 35m 17s

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

Thanks for the post, very reassuring to read for a future owner.

Your Dealer experience sounds great, I'll be trawling through your posts to see if you mention them anywhere...
R Line 245PS, Canyon Grey, Vienna Seats, Memory Pack, Dynaudio, Area View, Dynamic CDC, Parking Heater, Pikes Peak, Swivelling Tow Bar, side steps (aftermarket)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.