V6 tdi worn swirl flap adjusters ... - myTreg forums - Page 3

myTreg forums: V6 tdi worn swirl flap adjusters ... - myTreg forums

Chris Knott Insurance - Forum Sponsor
  • 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

V6 tdi worn swirl flap adjusters ... Advice and DIY replacement kit for T1/T2 V6 TDI Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   timpearkes 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Member
  • LocationBath
  • Time Online: 4d 16h 44m 26s

Posted 07 December 2019 - 06:50 PM

Legends... thanks all :)
59 plate 3.0L TDI Altitude Black

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#42 User is offline   timpearkes 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBath

Posted 14 March 2020 - 09:43 PM

So I bought this kit

https://www.ebay.co....872.m2749.l2649

and took about 6 hours fitting it today using the following guide

https://www.audiworl...cement-2879370/

which loosely stated it would be a three hour ish job.

So a few pointers...
The kit needs some refining before you fit it:
- the red bushings need a 6mm drill bit through them with a little oscillating of the drill to enlarge the holes slightly
- the swirl flaps need some trimming and smoothing with a knife
- the rubber gasket provided is pretty poor - I re-used the original
- the whole set up is stiff - I lubed it up with some heat resistant lube and hopefully with some initial wear it will loosen up
Be prepared for the clean up - an old toothbrush and a dish brush come in handy along with some WD40/GT85, a whole load of rag and blue roll.

The order of events for the T2 3.0 TDI

1. Remove engine cover
2. Cut cable ties that combine all the tubes/wires on the top rear of the engine
3. The two long fuel lines that cross the top of the engine need removing (17mm spanner) ensuring you catch any diesel to avoid it damaging any seals below
4. Undo all of the bolts holding the intake manifold onto the swirl manifolds, also undo the bolts attaching it to the throttle body, and the other smaller off pipe but watch for the shim in that join that will disappear
5. Wiggle out the manifold and place to one side.

For the near side manifold

1. Remove the "smaller off pipe" and once again watch for the shim that will fall
2. There is a funky green button thing with pipes coming off it that's mounted over the middle of the swirl manifold, unclip that and get it out of the way.
3. Three bolts on the top of the swirl flap motor need to come out, remove the electrical connector and flip off the push rod with a flathead screwdriver, remove the motor
4. Remove all the bolds holding the swirlflap manifold (there are 8) and then look for the one on the offside that has a metal eye it goes through before securing the manifold... this needs bending up - I used an Allen key to do this - see pic 1 below
5. Remove the glow plug wires by pulling from the base with bent nose pliers
6. Wiggle the manifold out, it will come but it takes some patience and perseverance

For the off side manifold

1. There is another fuel line to remove - it runs down the front of the engine and there is a bracket that protects it at the front that needs two of the three bolts removing to let it swing round and allow you to get the 17mm spanner in
2. Free up all the lines around the manifold
3. Remove the motor in the same way as the near side
4. Remove all the bolts and the near side front bolt will be through a metal bracket, bend this out of the way
5. Remove the glow plug wires
6. There is a large coolant pipe which is metal that runs over the middle, this has a rubber connector at each end, pull this up and you can feed the manifold out to the off side side of it with a bit of wiggle

Attached File  60588605898__84B13901-4492-4DBD-9066-84EE0DA5D177 2.jpg (956.17K)
Number of downloads: 14

1 - smaller off pipe connects to here with the shims
2 - throttle body
3 - annoying bracket that needs bending

Attached File  IMG_4495.jpg (213.63K)
Number of downloads: 14

This is the annoying bracket - its attached to this coolant pipe and the bracket needs bending up to get out of the way of the manifold for removal

Attached File  IMG_4496.JPG (2.16MB)
Number of downloads: 10

Manifold removed, surfaces cleaned but not before plugging with blue paper to catch any crud that trys to go in

Attached File  IMG_4497.JPG (2.06MB)
Number of downloads: 9

Manifold re-fitted with new internals.

Reverse the above, remember to remove the blue paper, and torque everything up as per the first link

Clear the codes, take it for a spin and all is good (so far)

Hope this adds to the knowledge of how to do this. Would have taken more photos but was dodging the rain showers (blooming forecast was meant to be sunny) and also trying not to ruin my phone with all the crud on my gloves!

#43 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Chairman
  • Time Online: 174d 26m 10s

Posted 14 March 2020 - 10:31 PM

Excellent post. Well done.
Tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA and the facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 and the facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7

Models, engines, build years, etcetera - all essential reading - is here:
http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg and here:
https://www.autoevol...swagen/touareg/

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used Generation 1 VW Touareg [T1 & T2 2002-10] that could save you money [even more essential reading!] is here:
http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1; 957 = T2; 958.1 = T3; 958.2 = T4; 9YA = T5
Brilliant site with a lot of information and many photos of all the Cayenne models since launch! https://www.stuttcar...ls/cayenne/958/

#44 User is online   Cass 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationHarry Hotspur land !
  • Time Online: 173d 19h 6m 37s

Posted 15 March 2020 - 02:03 PM

I’ve amended the thread title of this thread to enable search on this problem and to show a DIY repair/modification ;)
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Swivelling Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#45 User is offline   timpearkes 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBath

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:56 PM

Hmm, hold the horses,

Engine light came back on today, codes say its one of the manifolds again (I didn't register which one this time as was in a bit of a hurry).

Got my daughter to rev the engine whilst I watched the swirl motors work... they kind of do a little up/down/up before committing to going down - no idea if this is what they are meant to do? Bit of asymmetry in how they do it.

If someone else with a T2 was willing to video their swirl motors and actuator arms whilst having someone rev the engine it would be most appreciated.

Tim

#46 User is offline   timpearkes 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBath

Posted 03 April 2020 - 03:23 PM

View Posttimpearkes, on 25 March 2020 - 08:56 PM, said:

Hmm, hold the horses,

Engine light came back on today, codes say its one of the manifolds again (I didn't register which one this time as was in a bit of a hurry).

Got my daughter to rev the engine whilst I watched the swirl motors work... they kind of do a little up/down/up before committing to going down - no idea if this is what they are meant to do? Bit of asymmetry in how they do it.

If someone else with a T2 was willing to video their swirl motors and actuator arms whilst having someone rev the engine it would be most appreciated.

Tim

Slightly torn as where to go next... its bank 2 which is showing the error

1 Fault Found:
008224 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 2)
P2020 - 003 - Implausible Signal
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100011
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 120396 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2020.04.03
Time: 14:34:22

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Voltage: 11.93 V
Lambda: 0.0 %
Lambda: 0.0 %
Voltage: 0.500 V
Bin. Bits: 00000000

Someone (elsewhere) suggesting switching the motors around but I think they are sided, could try this if anyone has done if before? Thinking it was that little bit too stiff and will need a bit more sanding on the spindles.

The other thing is - I have no idea which is Bank 2... kind of need to know categorically - I guess I could disconnect the cable and re run a scan and see what it says?

Any thoughts / suggestions would be gratefully received.

Tim

#47 User is offline   nige 

• LocationMilton Keynes
  • Time Online: 25d 3h 17m 10s

Posted 03 April 2020 - 04:42 PM

From ElsaWin

"Diagram shows cylinder head cover on cylinder bank 2 (left side)."

The left/right is as sitting in the drivers seat
2013 3.0l V6 Altitude BMT engine code CRCA gearbox NXK

#48 User is offline   timpearkes 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBath

Posted 03 April 2020 - 07:10 PM

View Postnige, on 03 April 2020 - 04:42 PM, said:

From ElsaWin

"Diagram shows cylinder head cover on cylinder bank 2 (left side)."

The left/right is as sitting in the drivers seat

Really helpful :) Thank you. Ironically with a fiddle on vag com today clearing the DTCs from the individual modules that seemed to be historic the EWL is now off and I've just driven the 15 miles to work this evening with far better fuel economy (24 up to 30 average) and no EWL return... interesting.

On a re scan it still showed the out of range reading on bank 2...

Will have to see how it goes, maybe my rebuild efforts are just bedding themselves in.

Definitely not complaining!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chris Knott Insurance - Forum Sponsor

mytreg.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytreg.com is generated by its users. mytreg.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.