Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

Gear knob

3K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  Cass 
#1 ·
Hi all
does anyone know where to find a walnut gear knob , used (or new), mine has a split in the wood
have tried al the usual places , ebay etc , they all want to sell the whole gear linkage etc
they look no better than mine , well worn

any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Ttoe

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
#4 ·
Hi Cass ,

Image of manual gear-lever , attached , (not mine,)

will post one when possible

Thanks for brochure ,

looks like will have to bite the bullet and purchase the linkage as well as the gear-lever

getting mine repaired I.E. furniture restorer , to much trouble taking it off repairing split, etc
easier to buy a used item,

Attachments

#6 ·
A complete linkage just for the knob is ludicrous

Talk to a car trimmer have it fully covered in leather, sewn on in situ, nicer than wood and cheaper.

You can't really need the positions diagram if you're familiar with the car now ?

#8 ·
Hi Sarakina

To your suggestion of having it trimmed in leather ,
i like to keep it original
Thought about buying a leather one as fitted to the passat , look very similar
and having mine repaired (restored)

I will just keep on looking , i might be lucky an find one

#9 ·
The part you are looking for is 7L6 711 113.
There are variants with different suffixes for different trims.
The wood version has the suffix "F"

When mine was less than 2 years old the knob was replaced under warranty for the same reason - split.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Have you priced the part from a VW dealer and have you searched Touareg breakers in Europe (although I'd again guess that manual models would again be in small numbers)

#12 ·
Hi Cass

Not priced a new one yet , try to avoid vw dealers if possible
might have to go down that route ,
not a experience i would enjoy

Manual gearbox Touaregs are thin on the ground in europe as they are here
I did find one in germany , knob and gaitor £75.00 + postage ,

I am recovering from the shock

#13 ·
The Touareg was always manufactured and marketed as a luxury SUV. Sadly that means premium prices for many parts/spares but it's always worth getting a dealer quote first to see what the OEM price is and you can then work from that.

If you favour originality, it's definitely worth looking at breakers but as you have found, there are few manual Touaregs about and equally, there isn't a large second hand pool to search.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Surely the starting point is picking up the phone, calling your local dealer and finding out how much a new knob will cost if it is still available.

Then you can make an informed decision on the next step instead of faffing around!

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
I don't get it.

The first thing I do is call the dealer. Then I know exactly where I stand.

My dealer gives a discount for cars over 4 years old and they will post small parts FOC.

Over the years I've been surprised at how cheap some parts are (and it's a no-brainer to order it/them on the spot) and astonished at the price of others ("Thanks, but I'll get back to you on that!") but at least I always knew the starting point.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Try The Repair Shop

Wood Rectangle Font Wood stain Brick

Attachments

#22 ·
I thought it might be unavailable but the thick end of 500 quid is a tad rich!!

Post a photo and then we can see how bad the split is.

#26 ·
Try calling Dave Haden on 01543 375 437

And also try www.pridecarcustoms.com

Both are in Walsall.

#32 ·
Do you go on Facebook. VW Touareg Owners uk. there’s a guy scraping a 2.5 which looking at the pictures is a manual the guy is Richard Forsyth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.