• Group: Members
  • LocationNorway
  • Time Online: 7h 26m 11s

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:09 AM

Hi,

I have a 06 Touareg R5 diesel.
It runs perfectly fine with no issues.
Coolant and oil temperatures is fine.

Some days a go the low coolant warning came up.
I checket the expantion tank and I had to top it up with 3,5 liter coolant to het it to the top mark.
I ran the car for a few more days and then it was empty again.
(There is no bubbles in the expantiontank as I understand it would be if the headgasket was blown..)

I checked the oil level, and it was high. I tapped off 1,5liter oil to get it to the right level (high) on the dipstick.
My first tought was a leaking waterpump as when the o-rings fails it can get coolant into the oil.
When I tapped off all the oil in the sump it was no coolant there!
The oil was very thin, so I guess there is diesel in the oil!

I then bypassed the EGR cooler to see if the water was leaking in thru there. I routed the water past the EGR cooler but it still looses water.

So now I have an issue with water leaking out, with no visible leaks. AND diesel leaking into the oil.

I am thinking it could be a leaking injector/ cracked head/ broken headgasket... Any tips how I can confirm any of the issues?

Anyone have experienced the same?

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   Black Grouse 

• View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • LocationSouth Staffordshire
  • Time Online: 227d 21h 23m 12s

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:45 AM

Blown head gasket can manifest itself it several ways - NONE of the recognised diagnostic methods are 100% - I've had two cars with blown head gaskets, minor to start with, that defied normal confirmation - in both cases, coolant was being lost with no evidence of bubbles, leaks, no oil present in coolant and no exhaust gases either.

The first was lived with for several years, a low annual mileage car, with just regular coolant top-ups - the second took me 18 months to convince the dealer that it might be the head gasket but not accepted as the "sniff" test was clear each time - after the engine overheated bigtime, the engine was stripped but even that didn't initially show the cause but detailed examination showed a minute pinhole leak across the head gasket, of course it's effect much magnified given the internal pressure in a turbo-diesel - after the engine/transmission had been rebuilt, it ran much sweeter and economically although I didn't have the confidence to keep it beyond the end of the warranty.

Coolant in the oil shouldn't cause a rise in oil level as the coolant will be evaporated off at temperatures above 60C.

Diesel in the oil will cause the level to rise as it's evaporative temperature is very high - a number of different engines across all brands do seem to have this issue, sometimes linked to excessive DPF regenerations but other reasons too - this is outside my experience though.
2015 SE 262 in Reef Blue/Cornsilk Beige with Vienna leather, comfort seats, air suspension, airbag pack, area view, panoramic sunroof, parking heater, 100 litre tank and towbar

19" Salvador with Bridgestone Dueller H/P Sport
17" Tangis with Dunlop Winter Sport D4

#3 User is offline   chaser 

• Mechanical Guru
  • Group: Club Member
  • Time Online: 82d 9h 33m 52s

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:08 PM

roallar, on 19 June 2017 - 08:09 AM, said:

I am thinking it could be a leaking injector/ cracked head/ broken headgasket... Any tips how I can confirm any of the issues

Only real way to confirm is by dismantling.
Chaser...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current... Touareg R-Line Plus 3.0 V6 TDI 262PS 8-Speed Auto Tiptronic. Area View, Canyon Grey Metallic, 21" Mallory Alloys, Dynamic CDC Air Suspension, 14way Electric R-Line Branded Two Tone Sports Seats in Nappa Leather, Memory Pack, Factory Tow Pack, Ambient Light Pack etc, etc,

Previous... Pure White 2014 Touareg V6
R-Line 3.0Tdi 245ps 8-speed Auto Tiptronic (from new). Factory swivelling tow pack. Fully wired 13pin electrics. 9x20" Pikes Peak alloys. Piano black decorative inlays. Interior ambient light pack. Reversing camera.

Before that... Salt Lake Grey 2006 Touareg 2.5 Tdi SE Sport Auto (from 26k miles)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users