• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Sat Nav in the Touareg - the RNS 810 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Stitch 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Time Online: 1d 7h 6m 15s

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:01 AM

Alright now who has got one and can anyone tell me what it is like over the out going RNS 510?

I have received quite a bit of information on the new Touareg from forums like this one but heavens knows no one can tell me anything about how the Sat Nav goes. This includes the salesmen who were expected to be briefed on its workings, but can only read off the glossy brochure.
What maps does it run? Any truth about using Google maps which include satellite photos like Google earth? Does the TMC work now or is it still running off 20th century technology? How is the interface with the main instrument cluster? Any advantages over the RNS 510 worth speaking about?
240PS - outside white, inside black nappa, big hole in roof, lots of cameras, some extras.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   stu 

• View gallery
  • LocationNorth Yorks
  • Time Online: 4d 2h 5m 35s

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:50 AM

i dont know alot about it really yet, but i am sure that you are right about the google maps and it has a DAB radio and the climatronic module as far as i am aware.

a google search will through up as much info as everyone else has at the moment.
Sadly The Treg Has Gone!!!!!

RR Vogue TDV8 My Current Chariot..(now chipped to 325PS and 750NM)

2006 06 reg Skoda Fabia Ambiente TDI 80 (Poor Mans Polo)

#3 User is offline   chrisbin 

• View gallery
  • Group: Club Member
  • Time Online: 9d 19h 32s

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:01 AM

Nav. in BMW uses Google functionality so you would hope VW have something similar...
Now Tregless :(

Previous: 2011 3.0 V6 TDi T3 SE, Java Metallic, Corn Silk Beige.

Previous, previous: 2005 3.0 V6 TDi Sport Auto, Diamond Black.

#4 User is offline   Big Kahuna 

• View gallery
  • Time Online: 2d 20m 17s

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:19 PM

I don't know about the RNS 510 but here are a couple of clips showing the RNS 850 in the T3

#5 User is offline   Stitch 

• PipPip
  • Time Online: 1d 7h 6m 15s

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:28 AM

Thank you people so far for the quick replies, I was hoping that someone who has already taken delivery of their next generation Touareg (I think T3 sounds too American...) could shed some light on the set up.

The main reasoning behind my question was I was less then happy with the RNS 510 mapping and general functions as a Sat Nav over my portable device. No question on the functions for in vehicle entertainment and interface into the dash, just I had high hopes the newer system would at best match the Navmans etc.
240PS - outside white, inside black nappa, big hole in roof, lots of cameras, some extras.

#6 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Forum Wiki
  • Time Online: 105d 7m 26s

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:43 AM

I've long held the view that paying car manufacturers a four figure sum for something one can buy for under £100 or, now, comes free with your mobile phone is really not very good value.

Add to this the fact that the unit's data is already out of date before the factory even installed it, update discs are often more expensive than a brand new portable unit, the portable unit is, well, portable, and has full postcode facility and speed cameras which factory supplied SATNAVs apparently do not, then why would you waste your money?
Tip! Search this forum using Google with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

#7 User is offline   rich1068 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Time Online: 7m 30s

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:08 AM

My views exactly. It's always nice to have an integrated unit but if it wasn't included with the SEs standard spec I doubt I would have added it as an option. Same with my wife's Touran.

#8 User is offline   chrisbin 

• View gallery
  • Time Online: 9d 19h 32s

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:42 AM

View Postnoobytoogy, on 04 October 2010 - 06:43 AM, said:

I've long held the view that paying car manufacturers a four figure sum for something one can buy for under £100 or, now, comes free with your mobile phone is really not very good value.

Add to this the fact that the unit's data is already out of date before the factory even installed it, update discs are often more expensive than a brand new portable unit, the portable unit is, well, portable, and has full postcode facility and speed cameras which factory supplied SATNAVs apparently do not, then why would you waste your money?

..........because its convenient and nice to have.....same argument as most options. But I agree, the prices charged have really taken the piss.

However, T3 has it as standard, so argument disappears anyway!!
Now Tregless :(

Previous: 2011 3.0 V6 TDi T3 SE, Java Metallic, Corn Silk Beige.

Previous, previous: 2005 3.0 V6 TDi Sport Auto, Diamond Black.

#9 User is offline   Cass 

• Elite Member
  • View gallery
  • LocationIndian Summer in the North East !
  • Time Online: 112d 8h 49m 35s

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:24 AM

View PostStitch, on 04 October 2010 - 06:28 AM, said:

just I had high hopes the newer system would at best match the Navmans etc.

Sorry Stitch but no manufacturer (and I mean them all) Sat Nav will have as much functionality or features as portable Sat Navs. Manufacturers won't pay for it and you will not get such detailed maps, graphics, speed cameras etc. Yes there are hacks to add speed cameras to OEM units as POI's but you cannot get additional voice warnings, only visual. I'm sure in the future that we wil get a Google Satellite view but don't hold your breath. If you want the latest technology, aftermarket units will beat OEM every time.

My mate has a new A5 and it has the same mapping software as the new Treg - maps are basic but do revert to a 3D display when in use and although they appear simpler, they are clear and easy to read when driving.

Quite like my RNS 510 unit personally, much better in 3D view than 2D and a significant step up from the older CD and DVD based MFD2 units.

Cass
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Retractable Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#10 User is offline   Hunty 

• Time Online: 20h 27m 14s

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:45 AM

View Postchrisbin, on 04 October 2010 - 08:42 AM, said:

..........because its convenient and nice to have.....same argument as most options.

Plus if you're a "neat freak" like me, you don't like having a portable sat nav unit stuck in your windscreen with a cable going out of side to your 12V socket!
2011 T3 3.0 V6 TDI Escape, Night Blue, Xenons, Privacy Glass, Burr Walnut, Parking Sensors, Bluetooth, Heated Steering Wheel.

#11 User is offline   stu 

• View gallery
  • LocationNorth Yorks
  • Time Online: 4d 2h 5m 35s

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:38 AM

just to add my two peneth (for a change :rolleyes: ) i do agree that the portable units are in so many ways better than oem ones.

but with a little bit of effort everything you need is out there in cyber space for free!!!

the latest maps, Firmware and programmes to add POI's. also if you use BMW maps in conjunction with VW ones you can get full post code search facility if i am not mistaken.

i also posted "just for interest" as a topic the other day, maybe worth a look to see what the future holds.
Sadly The Treg Has Gone!!!!!

RR Vogue TDV8 My Current Chariot..(now chipped to 325PS and 750NM)

2006 06 reg Skoda Fabia Ambiente TDI 80 (Poor Mans Polo)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chris Knott Insurance - Forum Sponsor