V10 Air suspension leak Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Emperor Ming 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationSouth Yorkshire
  • Time Online: 14h 5m 25s

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:30 PM

I have been having a couple of gremlins with the air suspension and have found that there is a leak where the brass valve joins the aluminium body of the nearside suspension unit.
My mate and top Mechanic has contacted his counterpart at VW who say that this is a not uncommon fault on the V10 and it is almost always the near side unit as it is the one that takes the majority of abuse up an down pavements etc and spends a lot longer wet that the off side one.
I am looking at a second hand one at this stage and wonder if anyone on here has a trusted/used source of second hand VW spares.

This is not major problem at present as it is only small leak and is controlled by the on board compressor but I dont want it to completely fail on me.

Any experience on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Ming the (ever) hopeful
If it has an engine I will polish it!!

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   HEHEY 

• Elite Member
  • Group: Club Member
  • LocationManchester
  • Time Online: 25d 9h 51m 59s

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:50 PM

Mr Ming,
This is, as your mechanic friend suggests a common problem. Search "leaking brass connector" and all will be revealed.
I would have put a link to the relevant posts but I'm not clever enough to do it !
Disco 4 SDV6 with 20" wheels I dont know the name of but really like (Mr H)
09 V6 Tdi Touareg, gone but definitely not forgotten. I loved this car (but not as much as I love the Land Rover)
13 Nissan Puke (Mrs H)
54 Seat Arosa (Ms H)
61 Renault Trafic (Mr H)
96 V8 Discovery (Horse Tug)
86 Vespa PX200E (Mr H)

Wants:
Bedford T Series 4x4
Defender 90

#3 User is offline   buzzard 

• View gallery
  • LocationStaffs Moorlands
  • Time Online: 15d 14h 38m 29s

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:12 PM

Seem to remember someone else on the forum having this problem a little while ago

Is it corrosion. Or a weakness in the metal?
Its just a toy..................

#4 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Forum Wiki
  • Time Online: 105d 1h 18m 46s

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:04 PM

View Postbuzzard, on 23 August 2010 - 09:12 PM, said:

Seem to remember someone else on the forum having this problem a little while ago

Is it corrosion. Or a weakness in the metal?

Here's the link and go to the other Treg site too [scroll down within the posts for the link and pix]

http://www.mytreg.co...ed/page__st__20

The problems are road salt, different metals and very bad design.

And, rather stupidly, the search facility on here does not allow the use of three letter words such as "air"! What's THAT about?!!
Tip! Search this forum using Google with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

#5 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Forum Wiki

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:05 PM

And another using "front strut" as the search:

http://www.mytreg.co...h__1#entry41911

#6 User is offline   Emperor Ming 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:21 PM

I think i have fixed it!! :) :D
I have just spent three hours down at the local garage with my mate Winny the mechanic sorting out the air suspension leak.
We had spent a while looking on the internet and the cheapest we could find a replacement unit was £450. VW wanted to charge just over £1100:00 for the damn thing. :icon_evil: Then we would have had to spend ages taking it apart and putting it all back together again.
We tried speaking to VW to see if they replaced both when one went faulty but of course they didnt so there were no surplus second hand units to use..
So this is what we did - with pictures of course.
Firstly we locked the suspension to allow us to safely jack the front of the car up whilst it was on the ramps.
We then jacked the front enbd to allow the wheels to drop enough to get access to and a view of the area of the leak. this is at the base of the brass connector as it fits onto the ally body. this is a design fault in that it allows water and with it SALT to sit in a small recess and over the years eat away at the aluminium.
Here is the unit after we had cleaned it up roughly to see how bad the corrosion actually was.
Posted Image
From the picture you can see that it is not looking to bad but that there is some pitting at the bottom where the brass connector fits onto the ally body.
we then cleaned everything up with a soft wire brush and a gentle scraping with a very small screwdriver. this confirmed that the point of leak was at the bottom and that the rest of the connection was reasonably solid.
Posted Image
It looks a lot better now it is clean.
At this point I should add that ideally the car should beleft several hours to let the leak drop the pressure sufficiently to stop the air leaking out but we did not have this luxury.
Jacking up the car hovever did substantially relieve the pressure on the suspension and slow the leak down enormously.
We then made up some 'chemi metal' and put a layer on at the point of the leak. this did not stop it completely but slowed it down markedly.
Posted Image
We left this 15 minutes to harden off and slowly built up the layers. The idea was not only to fix the leak but also strengthen the area around it in case the ally rot had done damage that could not be seen. the stuff we use sets off and once set is as hard as metal and impervious to most anything so if succesful the joint would be reinforced AND air tight.
Having built up several layers the fix was sound with the exception of one pin prick leak that continued to pop through no matter how careful we were. As such we left it until it was properly set and then used a very small self tapping screw to force itself into the hole and seal it!!
Posted Image
As soon as the screw was safely in, and at this stage it was just tapped into the new metal, we put a substantial layer of chemi metal on top to seal in the screw. This set of perfectly and, touch wood, we seem to have a fully effective seal.
Posted Image
Its not pretty and I may yet put a final coat on smoothly to finish off the repair cosmetically but right now i am just chuffed that I have repaired the unit for the princely sum of

£3.
:) :D :)
My mate the mechanic is an MOT tester and he is happy that the repair is strong, safe and permanent. Also that it will in no way affect the MOT.

I have read elsewhere that the leak is down the side of the brass fitting but in my case this was not so. Looking at the problem I would be surprised if this is the case at all as the little well that the water sits in would be the first place to corrode. It does however APPEAR to leak from the fitting.
This might not be everyones ideal fix but if it works and does the job i just saved £447:00
Hope this helps someone and if there are other air suspension folk with this problem who want to talk it through feel free to PM me and i will send you my number.
If all is still well in a couple of days I will post up a confirmation.!!
Ming the VERY happy

#7 User is offline   cripo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLondon
  • Time Online: 5m

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:22 AM

good job!!! :lol:
2004 V10 Mmmmmmmmmm

#8 User is offline   Emperor Ming 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:14 PM

The suspension seems to be working fine and does not take time to reset as it did in the past. but the fault code still shows?
I think the ECU needs re setting eradicate the codes before I can tell if the fix is 100%.
The weather has been so bad since that I have not been able to get out and check the repair but will do as soon as it blows over!
Ming the Happy

#9 User is offline   mjstubley 

• Telemetrically Superb
  • View gallery
  • LocationCultural Attache for Yorkshire
  • Time Online: 21d 16h 13m 39s

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:54 PM

Excellent work

You must be Ming the Bouncy
Telemetrically Superb

Sold - Wonderful 08 plate 2.5 Altitude in Atacama Grey. Now in a Golf 1.4 TSI with DSG, remapped from 122 to 160. Shit off a shovel :-)

#10 User is offline   Hipflyguy 

• Superman
  • Time Online: 1d 12h 1m 44s

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:04 PM

I keep imagining this guy popping up out of the goop you've put around that:

Posted Image

Absolutely no offence intended, looks like a great job and a simple fix, thanks for the pictures for other users.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   buzzard 

• View gallery

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:33 PM

Great value for money IMO

Great way to fix a PITA problem

I look at these every time I snow foam and wonder if it could have been designed or protected better

May even try covering in grease over winter

#12 User is offline   Hipflyguy 

• Superman
  • Time Online: 1d 12h 1m 44s

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:33 PM

View Postbuzzard, on 01 October 2010 - 08:33 PM, said:

May even try covering in grease over winter

What about Waxoyl? Can get it in a spray now I think too to get into nooks and crannys.
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   HEHEY 

• Elite Member
  • LocationManchester
  • Time Online: 25d 9h 51m 59s

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:33 PM

Or spray gutter sealant
Disco 4 SDV6 with 20" wheels I dont know the name of but really like (Mr H)
09 V6 Tdi Touareg, gone but definitely not forgotten. I loved this car (but not as much as I love the Land Rover)
13 Nissan Puke (Mrs H)
54 Seat Arosa (Ms H)
61 Renault Trafic (Mr H)
96 V8 Discovery (Horse Tug)
86 Vespa PX200E (Mr H)

Wants:
Bedford T Series 4x4
Defender 90

#14 User is offline   buzzard 

• View gallery

Posted 02 October 2010 - 03:29 PM

Waxoyl solidifies too so that might be the remedy

#15 User is offline   Emperor Ming 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:27 PM

Design wise all it needed was a rubber cap over it and it would never have seen the weather that caused the problem.
Waxoil, silicone sealant just about anything put on and smoothed over to prevent the water sitting will cure the problem BEFORE it happens and better still if there is pitting but no leak it will stop it from getting any worse.
We built mine up as much as we did to make sure that any weakness from the corrosion did not cause a failure of the unit when we fixed the leak.
fingers crossed all seems OK so far.
Ming the Happy

#16 User is offline   Emperor Ming 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:56 PM

Hi guys
Long time no speak but i have been busy and REAL MAD with the Treg - more later - but the real good news is that the fix is both permanent and good!!
I have checked it several times and the ECU reset itself - apparently it has a little re set programme on board that puts everything back to normal given a chance. well thats what the auto electrician told me - and the fault no lnger shows!!
£3 to fix the suspension just has to be a RESULT!!!
I would strongly advise anyone with a V10 to do something to the area before they end up with the problem I had.
Gonna go and post up the electrical problem and the solution as a new post.
Ming the happy

#17 User is offline   Cass 

• Elite Member
  • View gallery
  • LocationIndian Summer in the North East !
  • Time Online: 112d 10h 29m 26s

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:23 PM

Well done Ming - good to see you back and a result ;)

The air suspension fault will likely occur with every Treg that has the Air fitted - no doubt. Pity VW didn't engineer out the problem in the first place or at least offer a recall/goodwill replacement once the fault had been identified. But then again............................... :angry:

Cass
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Retractable Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#18 User is offline   buzzard 

• View gallery

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:07 PM

View PostEmperor Ming, on 26 October 2010 - 07:56 PM, said:

Hi guys
Long time no speak but i have been busy and REAL MAD with the Treg - more later - but the real good news is that the fix is both permanent and good!!
I have checked it several times and the ECU reset itself - apparently it has a little re set programme on board that puts everything back to normal given a chance. well thats what the auto electrician told me - and the fault no lnger shows!!
£3 to fix the suspension just has to be a RESULT!!!
I would strongly advise anyone with a V10 to do something to the area before they end up with the problem I had.
Gonna go and post up the electrical problem and the solution as a new post.
Ming the happy

On your advice Mr Ming, mine is now in tomorrow for a complete waxoil.

This is not cheap but will involve removal of all plastic undergaurds, steam clean under neath and then 10l of wax oil in every hole, crevis and underpanel. Its a three day job and its having extra around the tops of the front struts B)

#19 User is offline   Emperor Ming 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:28 PM

View Postbuzzard, on 26 October 2010 - 09:07 PM, said:

On your advice Mr Ming, mine is now in tomorrow for a complete waxoil.

This is not cheap but will involve removal of all plastic undergaurds, steam clean under neath and then 10l of wax oil in every hole, crevis and underpanel. Its a three day job and its having extra around the tops of the front struts B)

Good idea mate
I may well do mine myself over the winter if i can get my mechanic friend to lend me his ramp.
Got to make sure the car is FULLY dry underneath first though otherwise you seal in moisture and with it problems.
Ming the considered

#20 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Forum Wiki

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:17 PM

View Postbuzzard, on 26 October 2010 - 09:07 PM, said:

... mine is now in tomorrow for a complete waxoil.

Where are you getting this done?

If you read this guy's adverts he seems as mad as a box of frogs, but he's actually very nice and one of the best...

http://www.before-n-after.co.uk/

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chris Knott Insurance - Forum Sponsor