#1 User is offline   Andy Banks 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationHalifax
  • Time Online: 2d 19h 48m 40s

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

Hi

I'm test driving a new Tuareg R Line this weekend and have been warned about two things on them - poor MPG and excessive tyre wear.

What MPG are you guys getting and how many miles are your tyres lasting for.

I've been told to expect a new set of tyres at 10k which seems poor.

Thanks

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTreq.com

#2 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Forum Wiki
  • Group: Club Member
  • Time Online: 106d 18h 1m 57s

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:13 PM

As per the same question you posed on the US site, expect 20-30K depending on the tyres, your driving style, the type of journies you make and the depth of tread remaining at which you change them.

How did the test drive go?
Tip! Search this forum using Google with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

VW Touareg history, models [T1/7L0, T2/7L6 facelift, T3/7P0, T4/7P[?] facelift and now the current 2015 model], engines, build years, etc. [essential reading]:

http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used VW Touareg that could save you money [even more essential reading!]

http://www.mytreg.co...at-to-look-for/

FYI: Porsche Cayenne 955 = T1, 957 = T2, 958 = T3 and 95[?] = T4

#3 User is offline   Cass 

• Elite Member
  • View gallery
  • LocationIndian Summer in the North East !
  • Time Online: 113d 17h 13m 8s

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:05 AM

Hi and welcome - the 2 issues you refer to are not applicable to the new R-Line or any new T3 for that matter, they refer to the previous model. Your source of information is outdated.

There are no issues affecting tyre wear but remember that this is a car which weighs about 2840kg.

The T3 is approx 200 kg lighter than the earlier T2 it replaced and therefore about 20% more fuel efficient than the earlier model.

I'm still running-in my 245PS R-Line and have averaged about 31 over 3500 miles so far.

Check out real world fuel figures here:

http://www.honestjoh...en/touareg-2010
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Retractable Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#4 User is offline   murraycod 

• LocationAdelaide, Australia
  • Time Online: 1d 7h 45m 47s

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:04 AM

View PostAndy Banks, on 20 September 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

Hi

I'm test driving a new Tuareg R Line this weekend and have been warned about two things on them - poor MPG and excessive tyre wear.

What MPG are you guys getting and how many miles are your tyres lasting for.

I've been told to expect a new set of tyres at 10k which seems poor.

Thanks

I am very happy with my T3, now about 15 months old. Just changed the OEM road tyres at about 35K kms (about 22k miles) with the tread worn to just under 4 mm. They would have a bit more life left if you wanted to push your luck.

Diesel fuel consumption is about 8 to 9 litres per 100 kms (about 30 to 33 mpg imperial) for normal touring, that is much better than my expectation.
White 2012 3.0 V6 150KW TDI

#5 User is offline   Andy Banks 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

Thanks all.

Took a 245 SE out and loved it. May be ordering the r-line this morning.

#6 User is offline   Smiffy 

• View gallery
  • Locationsolihull
  • Time Online: 46d 13h 45m 56s

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

View PostAndy Banks, on 23 September 2013 - 06:28 AM, said:

Thanks all.

Took a 245 SE out and loved it. May be ordering the r-line this morning.

I have an R-Line 245 with just over 7k miles on the clock after 3 months.

30mpg with a roof box and fully loaded, doing high speed (85mph) to south of France.
36mpg with just me on board doing longer runs around UK with cruise set to 80mph.
32mpg doing local runs at weekends with mixed city and motorway.

Very happy with that for this type of car.

Tyres look like new, but I've not measured wear. I fully expect >25k miles on a set.

Do it. You won't regret it :D

We'll need to know the full spec', and the deal you did. We're a nosey bunch :unsure:
Current car 2013 Touareg R-Line 245, Canyon Grey, Pikes Peak, Tow bar, Space saver spare
Towed 2013 Holtkamper Cocoon XL MTT
Her car 2010 Skoda Yeti 1.2 TSi SE, Tangarine (possibly the best car made by VAG!?)

#7 User is offline   Phil H 

• Elite Member
  • View gallery
  • LocationEast Mids
  • Time Online: 11d 2h 36m 37s

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

If you're in the market for a big 4x4, good mpg is not a reason to buy one. The Touareg is no worse or better than the rest of them. Expect big fuel bills. We all seem to average around 30ish mpg in the T3 which is better than many of the competitions efforts, but not as good as some. Shell Nitro is expensive but recommended. Expect a £90-100 bill each time you fill up. Make sure you appreciate that when it comes to replacing tyres, you need to replace them all, so yes the tyres are another big bill you'll face every now and again. Bear in mind though that you can buy a set of tyres with alloys for around £1k so it isn't that bad.
White T3 Touareg 245 R Line with Nappa 12 way, memory pack, piano black inlays, side scan assist & Pikes Peak alloys over standard spec.

#8 User is offline   Andy Banks 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

Looks like a base spec R-Line 245 in white.

Looked at the area camera pack but as I'm leasing on a company deal it's just extra monthly cost with no residual benefit - except for VW when they sell it at the end of the lease.

#9 User is offline   Phil H 

• Elite Member
  • View gallery
  • LocationEast Mids
  • Time Online: 11d 2h 36m 37s

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

You can spend a fortune on the extras available, but do you need them? Mine is a private purchase. I could have gone for many things Area View being one of them, but we'd only use it maybe 2 times a year. The one thing I do regret not ordering is the air suspension. The R Line is good on even surfaces with its sports suspension, but on rough uneven roads it can get a bit bumpy.
White T3 Touareg 245 R Line with Nappa 12 way, memory pack, piano black inlays, side scan assist & Pikes Peak alloys over standard spec.

#10 User is offline   Cludgie 

• LocationScottish Borders
  • Time Online: 2d 22h 37m 49s

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

Mine is a base spec R-Line and I'm happy enough with it. As Phil H says, the standard suspension can sometimes make the car wallow on choppy surfaces, but it's not that bad. Never driven one with Air suspension so can't comment on difference. I get pretty good mpg - around 34/35 average but I'm rarely on motorways or even dual carriagways. Tyre life seems ok - mine have worn 1mm in 4.5K miles so if I replace around 3mm I should get >22K miles from a set.
2013 Touareg TDI 245 R-Line, Deep Black Pearl - Gone but fondly remembered!

#11 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Forum Wiki

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostCass, on 23 September 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

There are no issues affecting tyre wear but remember that this is a car which weighs about 2840kg.

That's the fully laden weight - the kerb weight is just over 2,200 kgs so, with two people up and a full tank of juice, it's probably running at around the 2,500 kg mark.

VW Touareg history, models [T1/7L0, T2/7L6 facelift, T3/7P0, T4/7P[?] facelift and now the current 2015 model], engines, build years, etc. [essential reading]:

The world's most comprehensive guide to buying a used VW Touareg that could save you money [even more essential reading!]

#12 User is offline   Wesdev 

• PipPip
  • Time Online: 8h 19m 2s

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostPhil H, on 23 September 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

If you're in the market for a big 4x4, good mpg is not a reason to buy one. The Touareg is no worse or better than the rest of them. Expect big fuel bills. We all seem to average around 30ish mpg in the T3 which is better than many of the competitions efforts, but not as good as some. Shell Nitro is expensive but recommended. Expect a £90-100 bill each time you fill up. Make sure you appreciate that when it comes to replacing tyres, you need to replace them all, so yes the tyres are another big bill you'll face every now and again. Bear in mind though that you can buy a set of tyres with alloys for around £1k so it isn't that bad.

I was told from a VW dealer you DONT need to replace them all! I agree both fronts or both backs but not ALL.
2011(61) VW Touareg SE 240 with Electric Pan roof and Safety Wheel included. Metallic Black. Bluetooth, sat nav et al.

#13 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Forum Wiki

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

Tyres should be replaced as a set if the tread depth difference between front and rear axles exceeds 3mm.

Even the handbook talks about replacing full sets.

If you only replace two tyres on an axle because the tread depth is within limits, then ALWAYS fit identical tyres to those already on the vehicle - same make, same model, same tread pattern, same size.

Do NOT mix and match different tyres, not even those from the same manufacturer, as tyre sizes are nominal and may vary in the overall diameter by an amount that exceeds the ability of the electronics in the drivetrain to cope with the resulting transmission wind-up.

Always fit the new pair of tyres to the rear axle to avoid unexpected oversteer during emergency braking.

Several contributors on here have resolved what seemed to be potentially serious transmission issues after following this advice and replacing all 4 tyres.

#14 User is offline   Cass 

• Elite Member
  • View gallery
  • LocationIndian Summer in the North East !
  • Time Online: 113d 17h 13m 8s

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:32 PM

View PostWesdev, on 29 November 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

I was told from a VW dealer you DONT need to replace them all! I agree both fronts or both backs but not ALL.

Great idea - hope you have a spare £5k for a new transmission then if it goes bang after being wound up due to uneven tyre wear :huh:

Ask your VW dealer of they will stand by their advice when it goes wrong :rolleyes:
Current - 2013 R-Line 245 PS in Pure White Special, 12 way Elec Seats in Vienna, Memory Pack, Air Susp CDC, Retractable Towbar, TPMS and Spacesaver Spare - Gtechniq TSP treatment : )

Previous - 2012 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0 TDI 245PS, Deep Black Pearlescent and 2009 VW Touareg Altitude 3.0TDI 240PS, Diamond Black Pearlescent

#15 User is offline   Smiffy 

• View gallery
  • Locationsolihull

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:32 PM

View PostCass, on 29 November 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

Great idea - hope you have a spare £5k for a new transmission then if it goes bang after being wound up due to uneven tyre wear :huh:

Ask your VW dealer of they will stand by their advice when it goes wrong :rolleyes:

OK, I'm going to show my ignorance now. Be ready for some dumb questions :blink:

I assume all 4x4 systems are not equal?

"wind up" of transmission is caused by the front wheels turned at a different speed to the rears right?

And the symptom of wind up is a twisting force on the drive shafts, because the centre diff' is locked?

So the VW system in the T3 has a locked diff', and that's why the advice is to match tyre radius so closely?

I tried to read one of the technical manuals that Loz shared with us, but I confess I didn't figure out whether the centre diff is locked or not.

I just like to understand stuff :D
Current car 2013 Touareg R-Line 245, Canyon Grey, Pikes Peak, Tow bar, Space saver spare
Her car 2010 Skoda Yeti 1.2 TSi SE, Tangarine (possibly the best car made by VAG!?)

#16 User is offline   Loz 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationBerkeley, UK
  • Time Online: 113d 3h 37m 59s

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:47 PM

View PostSmiffy, on 29 November 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

OK, I'm going to show my ignorance now. Be ready for some dumb questions :blink:

I assume all 4x4 systems are not equal?

"wind up" of transmission is caused by the front wheels turned at a different speed to the rears right?

And the symptom of wind up is a twisting force on the drive shafts, because the centre diff' is locked?

So the VW system in the T3 has a locked diff', and that's why the advice is to match tyre radius so closely?

I tried to read one of the technical manuals that Loz shared with us, but I confess I didn't figure out whether the centre diff is locked or not.

I just like to understand stuff :D

Almost, it's open mostly but is progressively closed as the control unit sees fit when it senses excessive difference between the axels.
So Nooby's point refers to this scenario;
It you drive about with tyres of different size or excessive wear difference, the resultant difference in rolling circumference and therefore wheel speed has been known to fool the system into thinking it needs to tighten up the differential, thus causing the wind up on hard surfaces.

Because it is not easy to know this is happening it may be possible to suffer a costly failure and hence the recommendation.

It is most likely these issues remain only in the older models where there was a known stepper motor (the device that controls the clutch in the transfer box) problem, but none the less probably prudent.
Regards Loz
2011 T3 Escape [4XMotion, Night Blue, CSB Leather, RNS850, Everest Alloys, Keyless Go, air suspension, Bi-Xenons, Adaptive cruise(DAP), Panoramic roof, Electric tailgate, Area View, aux heater, mem seats, low box and locking diffs, Tyre pressure monitor]
Vag-Com if anyone in area needs to use it...
(previous)2010 Tiguan R-Line 170 - 2010 Golf 170GTD DSG - Landcruiser 78 series(Troopie)
(previous)2009 Golf 140GT DSG - 2007 Shogun Warrior 3.2 SWB - 2001 Discovery 2
(previous)1999 Audi 2.4SE Avant....>>>>>>> way back.. Ford Mk1 Capri

Tip! Search this forum using google with [site:www.mytreg.com word word word ]

#17 User is offline   Smiffy 

• View gallery
  • Locationsolihull

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:01 PM

View PostLoz, on 29 November 2013 - 10:47 PM, said:

Almost, it's open mostly but is progressively closed as the control unit sees fit when it senses excessive difference between the axels.
So Nooby's point refers to this scenario;
It you drive about with tyres of different size or excessive wear difference, the resultant difference in rolling circumference and therefore wheel speed has been known to fool the system into thinking it needs to tighten up the differential, thus causing the wind up on hard surfaces.

Because it is not easy to know this is happening it may be possible to suffer a costly failure and hence the recommendation.

It is most likely these issues remain only in the older models where there was a known stepper motor (the device that controls the clutch in the transfer box) problem, but none the less probably prudent.

Thanks Loz. That makes sense.

If the degree of lock is under control of a computer, I'd like to think that those clever Engineers in VAG would have figured out a software algorithm to avoid wind up.

Something like.......

If wheels try to turn at different speeds, then close diff' to increase drive to the wheels with most grip.

BUT if wheels turn at slightly different speeds for more than X revolutions, and with a constant delta, then assume numpty owner didn't follow advice from Nooby, and open the diff' lock to avoid wind up and damage.

Now I realise that it's not quite that simple, but hopefully you follow my logic?

I venture that the accepted wisdom from the early days of mechanical transmission systems is no longer as true with the advent of real time control systems and software magic.

Controversial?

#18 User is offline   NoobyT 

• Forum Wiki

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:00 AM

The electronics in the transmission can deal with differences in the number of wheel rotations per mile due to differing overall wheel/tyre diameters at speeds of up to 50 mph.

Thereafter they cannot and wind-up may occur if the wheels are unable to slip due to the co-efficient of friction between the contact patch of the wheel and the surface it is running on.

This is why, when you use the spacesaver spare wheel which is of a different overall diameter to the standard road wheel, there are large notices all over it telling you not to exceed 50mph/80kph.

This is also why, when people who have a set of winter tyres and a separate set of summer tyres say they are going to use one of a set as a full sized spare for the other set, I tell them they must treat that "spare" [if they use it] with the same speed limit as the spacesaver as the overall diameter of a summer tyre is likely to be less than that of a more rugged winter tyre and vice versa.

The exception to that speed limit with one odd sized tyre - going back to paragraph 2 above - is if you are running on surfaces that allow the wheels to slip and slide such as ice, loose gravel, snow, or mud where, because the wheel can self adjust, you won't get wind-up.

However I would still advise caution and that people stick to the 50mph/80kph limit to be on the safe side.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users